Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/8/2006 1:35:58 AM EDT
I use my long drive to work every day to allow my mind to wander into the "what ifs" of the world, and here's the thought for the day: In a civilian self-defense shooting, how will you justify the double or triple tap?

Before anybody tries to convince me of their merits, I practice multiple shots routinely, from double taps to mag dumps into targets. I don't need convincing, but, let's say the jury does. What's your reasoning to them? Why did you not shoot him once and see what happened with that? "Because I was trained to?" that won't cut it in court. "I didn't think just one round would do it?" Then why shoot him? Multiple shots center mass certainly make you look like a cold-blooded murderer to the unwashed masses. Justify your actions.

Bear in mind, I'm certainly not against this at all, but I'm trying to play Devil's Advocate so that we all may learn and prosper.

Now, fire away.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:46:25 AM EDT
"I didn't know how many times I shot him untill the officer told me. I just pulling the trigger until the threat was gone."

That's what might be said if it happend to me.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:47:42 AM EDT
In fear for my life I did as I was trained.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:57:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mr45auto:
In fear for my life I did as I was trained.

I just made the theat to my life go away...

Two to center mass, the third, fourth, fifth...ect,ect, I WAS SCARED FOR MY LIFE....
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:05:11 AM EDT
Because your first shot will probably miss.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:24:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bblake00:
"I didn't know how many times I shot him untill the officer told me. I just pulling the trigger until the threat was gone."

That's what might be said if it happend to me.

+1.

Besides the fact that i'm not personally going to have to justify anything to anyone. That's what my lawyer is on retainer for.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:47:50 AM EDT
Shut up. Lawyer up. Say what the laywer tells you to say.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:54:57 AM EDT
You continue until the threat ceases.

If it is 1 round or 15 rounds.

Even with a heart shot a person can continue to function for 15 seconds. How many times can you pull a trigger in 15 seconds?

You continue until the threat ceases.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:02:19 AM EDT
If it worth shooting once....it's worth shooting 2x,3x,4x,5x....

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:43:47 AM EDT
I guess it's good that you are thinking about this stuff now rather than during a gunfight. My main concern would just be survival and stopping the threat. Hopefully you can make peace with this concern and set it aside so it doesn't slow you down if you need to fight.

Personally I put this under the catagory of things I would let my lawyer worry about. That's what he gets the big bucks for. My job is to protect my family.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:34:02 AM EDT
1 shot, 2 shots, a mag, it doesn't make a huge difference. (actually, a whole mag might show your fear for your life which is good).

As long as it isn't.....

*BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG*
*CLICK*
*Reload*
*CLICK*
*Bayonet comes out, STAB*
*Lighter comes out....*

....then you should be ok in court.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:46:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:39:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SGB:

Originally Posted By lu380:
Shut up. Lawyer up. Say what the laywer tells you to say.

........ my plan.

My plan as well, but at some point, this question will certainly come up.

Now class, let's all say it together: "I was in fear for my life, I need my attorney before I can say anything else."

Another thought, speak to your spouses about this as well. I have already told Mrs gorilla that law enforcement will hear nothing from me without an attorney, and she damn well better do the same if she's with me if something happens.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:27:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 4:27:34 PM EDT by triburst1]
I would have a harder time explaining why I cut off his ear as a trophy than justifying the rounds that killed him.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:05:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:
"Because I was trained to?" that won't cut it in court.

Such knowledge is indeed “discoverable” in court.

Your notes, the videos you've watched, your instructors themselves, can all be introduced to the jury in your defense. Quality training is the answer to your worries.

Also, ever shoot an IDPA or IPSC match?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:49:48 AM EDT
"I knew it would cost a lot in lawyer and court costs, so I wanted to get my money's worth?"
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:07:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Blue_Genes:
1 shot, 2 shots, a mag, it doesn't make a huge difference. (actually, a whole mag might show your fear for your life which is good).

As long as it isn't.....

*CLICK*
*Reload*
*CLICK*
*Bayonet comes out, STAB*
*Lighter comes out....*

....then you should be ok in court.

Too funny. Yea, that might land you in some hot water.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:09:30 AM EDT
More... Yea reloading while shooting the BG probably isn't going to win you any brownie points with the jury. I guess that's a good reason to have a hi cap mag.

"What, you mean I shot him 18 times w/ this little 226? Is he OK?"
Top Top