Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 5:25:48 PM EDT
I am just about ready to plop down money for a Taurus Raging Bull Matte stainless. I have always wanted one. I can't decide if I want the 454 or the 44 mag. I realize that I can shoot 45 Colt out of the 454 and 44 special out of the 44 mag. I will probably shoot lower recoiling ammo out of both and save the other stuff when I really want to make some noise. This gun is primarily for FUN. I can't decide what barrel length or caliber to get. What is the difference in recoil and price between .44 special and 45 colt factory ammo? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:09:27 AM EDT
[#1]
If you don't plan on hunting I don't really see any need to get a .454 over a .44.  Just extra cost if you are going to be buying factory ammo.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're interested in FUN I'd recommend the .44 Mag.
If you're interested in real fun, I'd recommend the Ruger Super Red Hawk and a 7.5" barrel.
Magnum revolvers in general and Magnum revolvers with short barrels in particular are not really very much fun to shoot (unless you're one of those guys who is very recoil insensitive).  A good friend of mine just bought a collector's grade S&W Model 29 with a 4" barrel.  He's been shooting .44 Specials through it occassionally.  He has put TWO (2) rounds of .44 Mag through it.  That was enough.  OTOH, I can shoot a full box of 50 hot rounds through my Super Red Hawk revolver and actually have fun doing it.  What is the big difference?  Two things; 1) The Super Red Hawk has a specially designed grip which does away with the steel back strap that recoils back into the web of you hand.  2) The Super Red Hawk with a 7.5" barrel and a 4x Leupold scope weighs probably a good 50% more than my friend's Smith; better grip + more weight = more fun.
You could buy the .454 Casull.  Keep in mind that this gun generates 50% more power than the .44 Mag.  What do you think it will be like to shoot that?  Fun?  Maybe.  And how often?  Do you really want to plunk down several hundred dollars on a gun that will be fun to shoot once or twice?  It's your money.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you going to load your own ammo? If so, I would go the the 454 Cusull, otherwise I would go with the 44Rem Mag because ammo would be a bit cheaper and more widely available.  If 454 and 45LC ammo is somewhat limited in availability.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#4]
For me it would be 454 because I already have a .45LC.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#5]
get the 454 and reloading gear.  I've got the loooooong barrel version, it feels like a .22lr pistol loaded with stingers when shooting .45lc plinking rounds and is scary accurate.  with full house 250gr XTP loads its still pretty damn manageable.  and the downrange destruction is, uhh, impressive
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I own both and the 454 is without a doubt a fun and scary (damage it can do) pistol to own.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#7]
i can speak too the 454.i have a 6 1/2 inch compensated RB in 454 casul.she is a mean mean thang but between the excellent recoil absorbing handgrip and the factory compinsater its tolerable.you feel the gun will snap back over your head no matter how tight you hold.just hold on and let the gun snap back overhead to eat the recoil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top