Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 6:02:44 AM EDT
What I hear.......

1. "MY New(Insert Brand Name ) pistol is a POS!"

Guns are tools , if a tool doesnt function after following the MFGs instructions,
return it for a new one or have the MFG fix it.
This is what warranties are for.

2. "I can't disassemble my pistol into 87 pieces" or "I can't put my 87 pieces back together"

Read the FREEKIN MANUAL !
Guns are tools , If you do more than field strip , clean, and reassemble it - you may have problems.
(Disregard this if you are a Jet Engine Mechanic or Rocket Scientist )
This is what Gunsmiths are for.

3."My pistol won't function with my Handloads using Bolivian surplus brass and Kryptonite Hollow points I bought from "Bob the Bullet Builder"

No shit    Buy some FACTORY Ammo.
This is what Factories are for.

4."I replaced 17 1/2 parts on my pistol with Custom parts from Acme House of Pistols,    and now I have problems."

Do a "Google" search for the meaning of OEM
(Also see 2 and 3 above)

5. "My new gun is supposed to shoot one hole groups at 100 yds., at night, while I
    am seated in my BarcaLounger, but I can't HIT SHIT!"

"A man's got to know his limitations." (courtesy of Harry Callahan)

Merry Christmas everybody  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#1]
"It shoot like shit, my shots are all over the paper (if they can even hit the paper)

Well duh, you bought the latest Uber-Magnum and are scared to death every time you pull the trigger, your flinching brings on the EMTs looking for the guy having the grand mal seizure.

Solution; Start small and work your way up. Even then not everyone can handle those .500 mags even with years of practice.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Number 1 problem.  People spend mega bucks on a good pistol then buy $4.95 chepo mags.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Number 1 problem.  People spend mega bucks on a good pistol then buy $4.95 chepo mags.

i have seen lots of this case
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
"It shoot like shit, my shots are all over the paper (if they can even hit the paper)

Well duh, you bought the latest Uber-Magnum and are scared to death every time you pull the trigger, your flinching brings on the EMTs looking for the guy having the grand mal seizure.

Solution; Start small and work your way up. Even then not everyone can handle those .500 mags even with years of practice.

I had the same problem with my USP .40. All of sudden I jsut started flinching like hell. Went back to my .22LR pistol for some "rehab" and all is well now.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#5]
My fav is the guy that drops $2.3 million dollars on his new Whiz-Bang 3200 Tactical, and then picks up the cheapest POS holster in the place cause it fits close, and then complains that his WB3200T is too large and too uncomfortable to carry!

Moral of the story:  Your CCW rig should probably cost more than a #7 meal at McDonalds!  It is true, you do get wgat you pay for.  Sorry Uncle Mike!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I rarely have problems with ANY of my weapons .
The worst handgun I own is a P3AT and that was easily
fixed with a little examination and common sense .
Even my AR-10s run as near flawlessly as any auto loading
weapon can be expected to function .

Truth is that any mag fed weapon is going to choke
once in a while , but it's the exception and not the rule .
I've also had some minor parts failures on well used weapons
but again . It's to be expected with any machine that
gets used .

The only explanation that makes sense is that some people
have a propensity to induce failures through their actions .
I see the same thing in my field ( Auto Repair )  . Hell , every
vehicle I own was someone else’s Nightmare/Money pit  . I or
one of my employees end up driving them and never have the
problems that the original owner suffered with  .

Of course these people never admit , or even understand that
the real problem is them

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Most poorly functioning guns can be quickly remedied by tuning up the shooter.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#8]
The number one reason people have problems with their piston:  They didn't buy a GLCOK!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The number one reason people have problems with their piston:  They didn't buy a GLCOK!

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What I hear.......

1. "MY New(Insert Brand Name ) pistol is a POS!"

Guns are tools , if a tool doesnt function after following the MFGs instructions,
return it for a new one or have the MFG fix it.
This is what warranties are for.

I agree with almost all of them but if they did it right the first time this would be a non issue.
The damn thing should work right out of the box. That's why you have "quality" control people.
if they let a POS pass they should be whipped.
I'm proud to say that when I worked in the electro mechanical field building relay filled control boxes and harnesses for cement pumping trucks, my department had ZERO defects for the entire run (5 years).
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#11]
My pistol shooting sucks
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Don't ask, don't tell.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Personally I have never had issues with accuracy. To be honest all of the handguns I have ever fired seemed relatively accurate....of course some a little more than others. I believe accuracy has a lot more mental than physical. If you feel comfortable with the piece you have you are going to do better.

The only issues I have ever had with hanguns have been finish and number of parts. I hate having a gun that requires me to break it down into a hundred pieces and I need a bunch of tools to do it. I prefer something with as few parts as possible and a nice solid finish that wont rust from a normal day of carrying......

yeah.....you guessed it. I buy Glocks now....and that is all.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#14]
" My pistol does not work so I am going to trade it in for what every body else has the range has even though my pistol realy works fine. "
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:22:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I need a tune up, but my pistols are fine.  I can throw every single bullet in the mag of every auto I own in the lower left corner of the 9 or 8 ring.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I also find it funny how people just buy a brand new or even used gun and want to start modifing it to make it "reliable" when they have not shot the gun yet!!!

Shoot the gun and see if it is reliable and if it is not sell it or send it into the factory.  If it is reliable, then you can modify but you must then check for reliablity every time.  Do not carry a gun that has not proved 100% reliable!!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:53:08 AM EDT
[#17]
My favorites, based on a 30 year gunsmithing career:

1. "The rear sight on my pistol is off to one side, will a stronger recoil spring fix it?"

Everyone seems to believe that they know more about the 1911 than John Browning knew, and that Colt has learned since 1911.
People drop in "extra power" springs just on general principles, then complain about problems.

To paraphrase Fritz Hollings, "There's too much of that there springin' goin' on".
Unless there's a VERIFIED reason to replace springs with different weights......DON'T.  
The company that built the gun spent millions developing it.  Ya think maybe they know more about the right springs than you do?

2. You spend thousands on the finest guns, you buy holsters made of endangered animal skin, you AGONIZE over the best lubricant, you research for weeks trying to find 100% One Shot Stop ammo, THEN when it's time to clean it, you stick God knows what down the bore because "It's cheaper, and Billy Bob on the Internet says it's good".

There are two questions that beg to be asked:
A. Just HOW much money are you going to save?
B. What exactly do you know that Chemist and Engineers with Master's Degrees, working for big companies who spend millions of dollars to develop chemicals and tools specifically for cleaning guns, DON'T know?
Try explaining to the proud owner of a rare, valuable 1930's S&W Registered Magnum that those white freckle-looking spots all over the incredible blue job were caused by his using vinegar to clean it.
Boy, Billy Bob really saved you some money, huh?

3. You have one of the finest guns ever made but it's not reliable?  Did you perhaps suspect that shooting "Ivan's $1.98 per 100 rounds of steel ammo" might not be the most reliable stuff to shoot?

3-A. You have a nice pistol, you bought a case of X-brand ammo, and BY GOD it's going to shoot that ammo OR ELSE.
Not all guns "like" all ammo.  If it shoots other ammo OK, but won't shoot the X-brand, did you ever think of just buying something else that DOES work?

4. "My 1911's hammer is dropping to half cock, is something wrong?"  "I don't know much about guns, but can I fix it myself?"

Certainly you can, have at it.  By the way, the engine on the airplane your taking is having a problem, grab a wrench.

5. "I bought a new pistol, but it wouldn't shoot to 1" at 50 yards.  I bought a new gun and it's accurate, but it isn't reliable.  So, I'm looking at a new gun that's accurate AND reliable, but the company is trying to screw us by charging a high price".

I've got a deal for YOU, how about a new car that can do 195 MPH, lasts for 20 years, and costs $8,000.

5-A. "I need a real defense gun that's 100% reliable.  Why can't I get one that shoots like a target pistol?"

What do you want, a life-saver or a range toy?

6. "When I first started carrying a CCW I used a S&W Model 29 with an 8" barrel.  I hear S&W has a new .500 Magnum out, would that be more effective?"

By the way, that WAS you I saw last night at the local "Stop N' Rob"without your gun, wasn't it?
Sure is easy to leave that heavy cannon with the complicated holster at home just because you're only running down to the corner store, isn't it.

6-A "I bought a new CCW gun.  It's a .25 auto the size of a nail clipper, and I shove it in my pants pocket.  Now I don't have to lug around that .500 S&W".

Great, the bad guys will take that into account and will give you extra time to dig it out, knock the lint off it, and get a grip.  Then, when you finally get off a shot, they'll be polite and drop like stones when they get hit by the .25 bullet.

7.  "I bought this really nice gun.  It worked just great.  I've installed some new parts to make it "more reliable", but now it's having problems.  Why can't gun companies make reliable guns?"

Obviously, you need MORE new parts to "make it reliable".

8. "I took my gun all the way apart, and now I it's doesn't work right. How do I fix it?"

No problem, just ask Billy Bob on the Internet.  After all, he's the one who said it was OK to take it apart, right?

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Years ago I sold a kimber .45 at a gunstore I worked at,and 250 rnds of wolf ammo.A month later he brought it back in wanting us to send it back to kimber cause it was a jamming pos.I said can I take a quick look at it.You couldnt even rack the slide back all the way,it felt like it was full of sand.Seems he had never cleaned it,and the more he shot it the worse it got.I showed him how to tear it down and clean it,saw him a few months after that and he loved it.Go figure
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Years ago I sold a kimber .45 at a gunstore I worked at,and 250 rnds of wolf ammo.A month later he brought it back in wanting us to send it back to kimber cause it was a jamming pos.I said can I take a quick look at it.You couldnt even rack the slide back all the way,it felt like it was full of sand.Seems he had never cleaned it,and the more he shot it the worse it got.I showed him how to tear it down and clean it,saw him a few months after that and he loved it.Go figure

Good for you helping the guy learn!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LMAO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top