Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2005 1:25:24 PM EDT
Is the Sigma a reliable handgun?

Is there anything seriously wrong with them?

Link Posted: 11/3/2005 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Sigma's are S&W's worst product of the decade. They are an attempt to plagarize the Glock design with a horrible trigger, a complex action system and no hope of improvement. Buyer beware. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok I think I will get a used Glock I just never heard of a Sigma.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 2:12:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ok I think I will get a used Glock I just never heard of a Sigma.

They aren't as bad as he said, but they are not a Glock either.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, they are very bad. Have you ever tried to work on one? I have. Charles.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]
utter crap

boss got a few of the washington state po-po turn ins in .40
would not run for anything
tried a lot of diff ammo
ftf/fte/nd/ibtl/marpat
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had 2, both in 40 caliber.  

The first one, would not fire every time the trigger was pulled.  If you cocked it and pulled the trigger, it would not fire until you pulled the trigger 3 or 4 times.  I sent it to S&W and they "fixed" it, but when I got it back , it did the same thing.  I sold it for very cheap a while back.

The 2nd one I gave to my brother.  It has always worked fine, except when I was cleaning it one time, the piece that has the spring slide spring around it came loose and flew across the room (it broke).  S&W sent me another one free of charge and it works OK.  (The same piece on the glock is made of metal, not plastic).  The gun is pretty accurate, and reliable as often and I used to shoot it alot.

However, I would not buy them again, and would instead get a Glock.  Pay extra and get something that is worth it.  I got a Glock 26 and have had zero problems with it.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Actually, they are very bad. Have you ever tried to work on one? I have. Charles.  

Never needed to.  I traded one in for my Glock22.  Except for the trigger and the tight chamber causing some FTE's when it got hot and dirty, I loved it.  Damn trigger was a bitch.  Got a Glock 22 and I've never looked back or had a hiccup.  I'd rather have a Sigma than any 1911 I've ever had. I've never had a 1911 that would run for shit.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Worst gun I ever owned was one of these POS SW40F ...  Bought it new and the frame split lengthwise with factory ammo with no more then 2000-rds through the gun.  They did replace it and I sold the replacement unfired...  Utter Junk!

These do not compare to the glock.. they just sort of look like a Glock...  I am upto four glocks now FWIW
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#10]
i have an older one in 9mm. thousands of rounds of the old wolf without any problems. my friend has one in 40 and it won't shoot a whole mag without a jam. the trigger pull does suck but it is an accurate gun. i would say you should buy a used glock 17 from summitgunbroker.com for $335.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Trigger is terrible.  Reliablilty seems to be pretty good.  I get more cracked frames on Glocks brought in than on these guns, but this one probably doesnt see the same kind of miles a Glock does either. S&W has a new model, the M&P coming soon.  Its MSRP is $600+ though according to the S&W rep.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess I have been lucky as hell. I have owned 4 over the last few years(still have a matched pair in 9 and 40). I have yet to have a problem with any of them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Every Sigma owner I know or have seen have not had any issues with them. Both calibers, old & new versions.

My .o2
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#14]
If you've got the money, the Glock is a superior firearm, though the Sigma's just fine now.

Early sigmas (F series) were abortions, but the newer ones (E, VE and GVE) are all fine.  I've never had any problems, even after I modified the admittedly horrible trigger to a more agreeable pull.

I own a SW40VE, if you were curious.  It's a nice gun; only downside is the trigger, as far as I can see.  I like the triggers on Glocks better myself, but the Sigma's grip is nice in comparison.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Anybody ever own one of these junkers...

That is likely the single worst of the worst guns I have ever seen...  I was working at a shop when S&W first introduced the Sigma line and yes my SW40F was a new gun from a new product line...  but these "mini" sigmas had an absolutely lousy track record.  Blow back 9mm in a cheap plastic frame...

Anybody here ever own one?  Must be someone here that will claim it is a good gun too, ... right...
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#16]
JUNK!!!

If you want a good handgun that is under $350 look into a Steyr M9 or M40.

I just bought a Steyr M40 with two mags for $279. I is accurate, and a lot better than a Sigma.

Trust me
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Hello folks.  I'm new here.

I own a Sigma in 9mm.  I have had no trouble as far as the reliability of the gun firing.  What I don't like about it is the heavy trigger pull, other than that I thinks it's a good gun.  This is my second S&W by the way.  My primary carry gun is a S&W 908
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Hello folks.  I'm new here.

Welcome!

Now get rid of it and buy a glock!  
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Hooray for unfounded bias!
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I just hope the new S&W M&P auto will be better.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Anybody here ever own one?  Must be someone here that will claim it is a good gun too, ... right...

Well has to be.  There are people upholding Colt's as the god of Ar15s on this board... then someone's gotta like that thing.
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 5:26:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Ironically, the airsoft Sigma is actually pretty decent  The grip and controls work pretty well for me, and the trigger on my airsoft Sigma is fairly nice (probably nicer than the real thing).  I got a Sigma replica because it takes Co2 and is fairly powerful for an airsoft gun...I'd still much rather have had a Glock, but this replica works without any serious problems.  Only thing being that it's somewhat mechanically complex, so it's not a good idea to screw with it unless you know how.  Anyways, figured I ought to just throw that in for the irony of the situation
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I would reach for my baseball bat before I would use one of these shitty guns.
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

www.pol-tec.de/SW9M1.jpg

That is likely the single worst of the worst guns I have ever seen...  I was working at a shop when S&W first introduced the Sigma line and yes my SW40F was a new gun from a new product line...  but these "mini" sigmas had an absolutely lousy track record.  Blow back 9mm in a cheap plastic frame...

I owned one of these. PIECE OF SHIT! Jammed almost every shot. I threw it into the ocean while deep sea fishing in Alaska.
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

www.pol-tec.de/SW9M1.jpg

I bought one of the compact .380s used for $150 and it was a total POS. I think I would have neem better off with a Lorcin.
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

www.pol-tec.de/SW9M1.jpg

Isn't that the disposable 9mm with the pot metal slide?  I guess they figured Lorcin had a good thing going and decided to get some of that action  
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#27]
i also have one of the sw9m pistols. i have had 2 malfunctions with the old wolf and none with quality brass cased ammo. i only have about 500-600 rounds through it but it has been reliable. it kicks hard and you need to hold it tight for it to cycle because it is a blow back. maybe i got a good one but i remember reading the leroy thompson also likes them.
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#28]
If any of you Sigma owners are interested I have a couple of the Saf-T-Blok plugs that fit inside the trigger guard...  They are best used for pocket pistols (I use them with my wifes Glock 26) but the Sigma 9M would be a good gun for them or you could use them for all sigma...  I have 3 left hand and one right hand.  just need shipping for the things as they don't git the glock and I will nevr buy another Sigma.

Problem is an envelope and shipping will cost me about $2 at least...  So I would prefer to send them all to one person for say $2.50.  They are listed in the EE as I just discovered I had these from years past.  Three are new in pack (LH ones) the RH is out of pack but never used.

E-mail me if anybody wants them
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#29]
The 9MM I had ran fine but the .40 I was was a piece of Garbage and yes I mean Garbage and that is to bad because With the houge grip sleave on it the Sigam is almost as comfortable as my P01. To bad it was no where near as reliable as my P01.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never needed to.  I traded one in for my Glock22.  Except for the trigger and the tight chamber causing some FTE's when it got hot and dirty, I loved it.  Damn trigger was a bitch.  Got a Glock 22 and I've never looked back or had a hiccup.  I'd rather have a Sigma than any 1911 I've ever had. I've never had a 1911 that would run for shit.

I had a Sigma in 9mm. Never had a problem with it, but the triggers do suck. You can get them to about the Glock crappy trigger level with the right spring set from Wolff.

As for 1911s, I have one and it runs fine, best pistol I've ever owned (it's a home built Caspian Govt. .45ACP). Glocks have their place, but I'll take a 1911 (a real 1911, ie. 5", single stack, steel...) over a Glock any day.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 7:22:31 AM EDT
[#31]
I own two Sigmas.  I own one in 9mm and one in .40.  They are both the "VE" model.  I have never, ever had a problem with either one of them.  I would highly recommend them to anyone.  

For the money, you can't find a better deal.  The trigger is a little mushy at first, but after a couple of hundred rounds, it lightens up and turns into a great shooter.  I can easily put 50 rounds into a 4 inch hole at 20 yards.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#32]
i've got two .40's, one is a V, POS...jams every other round, also have a VE, so far after about 1k rounds, no failures, even with the same mags that jam in the V model. Just gotta find time to send that one back then sell or trade it when i get it back. the triggers do SUCK.

We also had one of the new M&P models at the range. It actually feels quite nice, the trigger is a helluva lot better, would compare the trigger pull to a Glocks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:19:13 AM EDT
[#33]
MY uncle is the firearms instructor for our local police department and as a cost alternative to glock he bought  50 sigmas, bad decision, both my mother and father were officers at the time and I remember going to the range and shooting them, There were so many jams that my uncle was overwhelmed trying to clear everyone's jams while they were all trying to qualify. needless to say they were replaced with the smith p99 the second it was available. The p99 has been much better but they still have problems, Ive been trying to convince him to save some lives and buy glocks, or anything but smith autos again. but the real problem they have is cost. oh well

well, moral is sigma, not a serviceable weapon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top