Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2005 11:41:38 AM EDT
Can anyone give me a link to where it talks/says that you can buy a handgun at age 18 in Michigan from a private dealer?
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#1]
use your hometown forum
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know where to get the letter of the law for you, but here is the procedure:
1.  Find individual with a gun you are interested in (no FFL dealers).
2.  Go to your local PD and ask for a pistol purchase permit.
3.  Take said permit to individual selling the gun and have them fill in all the pertinent information.
4.  Take the gun and the permit back to your local PD and have them register the firearm's serial #.  Make SURE  that the # the seller puts on the purchase permit is the same as what is actually on the gun.
5.  Buy lots of ammo.
6.  PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#3]
In Mi. it is leagal to own a hand gun at age 18 , but you have to be 21 to purchase one .  A parent or leagal guardian will have to purchase the firearm first. Then you can receive it as a gift . You will then have to go through the same procedure to obtain the purchase permit , and transfer the gun into your name .  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#4]
anyone know where a gov. link to this is?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
anyone know where a gov. link to this is?

Try looking on the MI state police site.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#6]
though of that after i posted.....thanks anyway

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html    

that talk a lil about it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#7]
im not sure where its posted, but when i was 18, i went to the local police station , took a 10 question test, paid $5.00 and 3 days later i got a call saying i could come and pick up my permit.  so I bought a glock 26 off of my neigbor, took it in for saftey inspection, and the police chief signed of on my ptp.   so from that i know that its perfectly legal to make a civillian to civillian transfer @ 18.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#8]
If there are no laws against it in your state, it is legal to buy a handgun at 18 from any person that does not hold an FFL.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
im not sure where its posted, but when i was 18, i went to the local police station , took a 10 question test, paid $5.00 and 3 days later i got a call saying i could come and pick up my permit.  so I bought a glock 26 off of my neigbor, took it in for saftey inspection, and the police chief signed of on my ptp.   so from that i know that its perfectly legal to make a civillian to civillian transfer @ 18.

How long ago was this?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top