Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 12:07:18 AM EDT
[#1]
These guys had some copper plated wad cutters today I happened to notice

Link Posted: 4/27/2022 1:06:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Freedom_Lover] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JTMcC:
Most people will consider 3" toooo long for an ankle holster or pocket carry.

View Quote

You have to be picky buying pants.  I pocket carry a 3" SP101 every day.  You have to find pockets on the deep end.  Great way to carry though, in a soft Remora holster it just looks like a bit of a lump.  No discernible gun shape.  I had the hammer spur bobbed and filed smooth (Ruger won't sell the spurless one or fit it on a 3") and there is nothing to catch on any clothing as you draw it.  Slips right out when you want it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:20:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Had a model 10 built up as a cool project. My gunsmith did a great job.

I like my G42 for a pocket going fishing but this is cool too.

Before

Attachment Attached File

After

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MONGO45:

Before

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86935/21A2A784-10F5-48B4-9CFE-14CFF0400C23_jpe-2364464.JPG

After

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86935/1EF387ED-6BCA-4960-A19E-9B0A5B3AFF5F_jpe-2364466.JPG
View Quote

Looks good, I like how clean the restamping is too.  I've got got a 65 I'd always planned to do that with, just never got around to it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 12:09:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 80sgyrene] [#7]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

I've been wanting to add a lanyard to a few guns.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20211008_115219_2_jpg-2339089.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
How about 147gr hsts at 930 fps?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20220313_001014_jpg-2315700.JPG

Depending on use and serial number placement, I'd really be tempted to put one of the Bowen or Webley lanyard loops on that gun.  Yeah, I'm odd that way- I really like Bowen's M1917 Redhawk (who am I kidding, I like almost all of Bowen's creations).  

They're not my favorite grips but years ago I put a set of rubber Hogues on my 686 because they also make a lanyard screw for them and I was using it as a boat/swamp/fishing gun and they were practical.

I've been wanting to add a lanyard to a few guns.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20211008_115219_2_jpg-2339089.JPG

I put one on my match champion Hogue grips. Just a sling stud and heavy duty key ring.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MRW:
I've never heard of copper plated wadcutters.  is there a photo?  I couldn't find one.
View Quote

If you reload, Xtreme sells 147 grain copper plated wadcutters. They shoot great in my 686 and 640.

Click Me!
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Coolio:

BTW, FWIW Hornady's 90gr HP XTP for the .380Auto can be handloaded to 1,000fps for a reliable 16" of penetration (albeit with questionable expansion).
View Quote

This. I handload 90gr. XTPs to 1000fps out of my LCP.
I've tested them on water jugs and in gel with two layers of denim, and they perform admirably. Before I developed that load I ran fmj's. I tested gold dots and hst's and they did not perform well. They expanded but didn't penetrate worth a damn.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#12]
380 XTPs in a 38 SPL, interesting!
View Quote

I thought you were asking for comparisons to the .380. If not, I apologize. I carry a couple .38's but sometimes you need something really small and discrete as was said earlier.  The .380 excels in this capacity and a 90gr. XTP @ 1000 fps from an LCP puts my mind at ease. Hopefully I'll never need to try it for real.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#15]
This time of year I carry a .38 spc. around the farm a lot. Really handy to have shot cartridges available for copperheads and cottonmouths.

Wadcutters work fine for larger stuff like coons without as much noise as a full throttle load.

My little 638 is not really noticeable to carry and it's usually loaded with shot cartridges when I'm working in the barn or fixing a fence or something of that nature.

Moving up in size, A 2 1/2 model 66 has better sights and is usually carried around the place with wadcutters or mid range LSWC loads.

If I'm carrying one of them to town I load it with the Buffalo Bore .38 spc standard velocity LHPSWC loads that expands well.

I know it's old and not tacticool sexy but the .38 special is still handy as a pocket on a shirt for a lot of uses.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#16]
The revolver market here just keeps climbing. A local shop has this 1966 Colt Diamondback .38 on consignment for 2K and I'll be surprised if it sits there more than a week or so.

1966 Colt Diamondback 38Spl.

They ship if one of youse guys are in the market.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#19]
@MONGO45

This is really growing on me.  did you find a new barrel, or did your smith cut down the 4" barrel?

I think I'd like to do a similar project.
View Quote

I found a 4” barrel my smith cut to 3” then slab sided to remove the roll marks and crowned it.

The difficult part was then attaching a high visibility front sight that shot point of aim

My guy is an old school machinist / tool and die maker and is really skilled.

He also tuned a lot of K and L frame guns back 25+ years ago for competition which played a role.

Finding the barrel wasn’t too tough but finding the correct length and thread ejector rod and center pin was another issue.

Best of luck on your project... post pics
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#21]
very good.

Would he be interested in doing the same project for me?
View Quote

The more I look at that gun the more I want my 4" M65 chopped and slabbed and converted to a round butt with a lanyard loop (the serial number may preclude that though).  Back in college in the '80s I worked in a gun shop for a short spell and the gunsmith was doing something similar with inexpensive police trade-ins.  I still kick myself for not buying at least one of them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:  The more I look at that gun the more I want my 4" M65 chopped and slabbed and converted to a round butt with a lanyard loop (the serial number may preclude that though).  Back in college in the '80s I worked in a gun shop for a short spell and the gunsmith was doing something similar with inexpensive police trade-ins.  I still kick myself for not buying at least one of them.
View Quote

Thought gunsmiths could move SNs?

Would be funny to complete fancy out some Ruger, and then restamp the entire billboard in a different place - maybe under the top strap.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Would be funny to complete fancy out some Ruger, and then restamp the entire billboard in a different place - maybe under the top strap.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:  The more I look at that gun the more I want my 4" M65 chopped and slabbed and converted to a round butt with a lanyard loop (the serial number may preclude that though).  Back in college in the '80s I worked in a gun shop for a short spell and the gunsmith was doing something similar with inexpensive police trade-ins.  I still kick myself for not buying at least one of them.

IIRC (and I'm no gunsmith or FFL holder so if someone knows better please chime in), they could, then it was changed so that only the manufacturer could then they stopped that except for a manufacturer being able to assign the same serial number to a new frame after destroying the original (because of some states draconian permitting restrictions).  Again, I could be completely off here but that's what I seem to recall.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a Glock 42 380 ACP, and a LCP 380 ACP. I also own an Air weight 38 spl. S&W Revolver. I love the G 42. It shoots flat straight and has very little recoil. The 38 air weight not so much. But I do carry the 38 spl as a back up gun in a shoulder holster. But I take time on the range to manage recoil and the trigger. I like the  nostalgia of the revolver. The 380 as a back up gun is a good choice, but it does not give as much penetration as a 38spl. I would choose what you shoot well. Just my opinion. Good luck with your choice. Bothe rounds are expensive.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#25]
I forgot to mention in my first post. I was a probation officer for 20 yrs. I have interviewed criminals who "like"s me a revolver" because it does not leave any evidence lying around. This could also be a consideration when in a NPE or in civil chaos. Just food food for thought.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Reddtv:
I forgot to mention in my first post. I was a probation officer for 20 yrs. I have interviewed criminals who "like"s me a revolver" because it does not leave any evidence lying around. This could also be a consideration when in a NPE or in civil chaos. Just food food for thought.
View Quote

Reminds me of a youtube channel, just some guy who spent a decent amount of time in prison telling stories. Nominally to help prevent people from going down his path, but that's the sort of thing Jerry Springer would say too. Anyway, he was telling the story of one of his friends from the joint. The friend was sitting in his car one day when another guy who had a grudge saw him, pulled out a revolver, and opened fire. Missing completely. The friend draws his own pistol and shoots back, hitting and I think killing him. Before the cops arrive, someone grabs the revolver off the street. When the cops get there, of course no one wants to talk to them, even to back up the friend's story. They can't find the revolver or any other hard evidence to back up the friend's story.* No one - not the cops, not the friend, not even the storyteller - can figure out why there were no shell casings at the scene. Did someone pick them up? Why would anyone do that? So the friend gets charged and convicted by default.

* Though I'm not sure why they couldn't find bullet holes in the car. Maybe just that bad of a shot. Or the story is BS.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#28]
I've found the 38 will do some things a 380 won't, like weigh more, give you less capacity and be generally harder to shoot and cost even more cheddar.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By SDGlock23:
I've found the 38 will do some things a 380 won't, like weigh more, give you less capacity and be generally harder to shoot and cost even more cheddar.
View Quote

It sucks trying to pistol whip some fool with a LCP though.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

You forgot that the little .380's make it much more easy to miss a target.

View Quote

I have friends that carry LCP's. I've always figured they're slightly better than carrying nothing but at least make carriers feel as though they're armed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ggibbs:

I have friends that carry LCP's. I've always figured they're slightly better than carrying nothing but at least make carriers feel as though they're armed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SDGlock23:  I've found the 38 will do some things a 380 won't, like weigh more, give you less capacity and be generally harder to shoot and cost even more cheddar.

Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:  You forgot that the little .380's make it much more easy to miss a target.

I carry a P32 as a BUG.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#32]

I carry a P32 as a BUG.  
View Quote

I carry a PF9 when it's wholly impractical to carry anything else. I do so knowing that anyone past 10 yds. or so isn't in much danger!
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

You forgot that the little .380's make it much more easy to miss a target.

Definitely not as easy to shoot as a larger gun, but with some practice the little .380s are certainly accurate enough for their intended use and even with the crappy afterthought that is the sights on the original LCP I can put rounds on a paper plate at 50yrds.  The biggest issue I have is that the gun is so flat it tends to rotate in my hand and I need to reposition it after a couple of shots; a Talon Grip helps, but it's still something I have to be conscious of.  I've watched one of my brother's friends ring steel at 100yrds with his but he's younger, with better eyes, and a former army ranger who shoots a lot more than I do these days.  He used to carry it as a third gun when he worked as sheriff's deputy.  

A couple of rounds of .380, whether from a KelTec/LCP or a Beretta 84, is probably going to dissuade most folks from pressing an attack.  I have no illusions of a single shot from anything I own stopping an attacker though (although I've seen folks dead from a single round in real life) and I don't practice firing a shot, stopping to evaluate the situation then shooting again if needed.  As the old saying goes, if it's worth shooting once, it's worth shooting multiple times, just make sure you can hit your target.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:  Definitely not as easy to shoot as a larger gun, but with some practice the little .380s are certainly accurate enough for their intended use and even with the crappy afterthought that is the sights on the original LCP I can put rounds on a paper plate at 50yrds.  The biggest issue I have is that the gun is so flat it tends to rotate in my hand and I need to reposition it after a couple of shots; a Talon Grip helps, but it's still something I have to be conscious of.  I've watched one of my brother's friends ring steel at 100yrds with his but he's younger, with better eyes, and a former army ranger who shoots a lot more than I do these days.  He used to carry it as a third gun when he worked as sheriff's deputy.  

A couple of rounds of .380, whether from a KelTec/LCP or a Beretta 84, is probably going to dissuade most folks from pressing an attack.  I have no illusions of a single shot from anything I own stopping an attacker though (although I've seen folks dead from a single round in real life) and I don't practice firing a shot, stopping to evaluate the situation then shooting again if needed.  As the old saying goes, if it's worth shooting once, it's worth shooting multiple times, just make sure you can hit your target.
View Quote

Lol, I was just imagining answering a prosecutor's question,"Why did you pull the trigger so many times?"

"I'm a responsible father, so dropping $20k on a machinegun isn't something I want to explain to my wife."  
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Don't forget actually getting to the vitals.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

I needed a discreet option for NPE carry a few days back. Grabbed the PPK/s nice and flat so are reloads thrown in a pocket. That said as you point out ammunition selection is extremely more critical with 380 there are a few options that make the cut but not nearly as high a percentage as 38 you get some that don't expand well but thanks to the mass they tend to penetrate well either way.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

I needed a discreet option for NPE carry a few days back. Grabbed the PPK/s nice and flat so are reloads thrown in a pocket. That said as you point out ammunition selection is extremely more critical with 380 there are a few options that make the cut but not nearly as high a percentage as 38 you get some that don't expand well but thanks to the mass they tend to penetrate well either way.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

That's the LCP's niche; I can't recall the last time I carried another .380.  .380 definitely falls into the category of it's it worth shooting once, it's worth shooting multiple times.  Other than when goofing off I always do doubles and sometimes just mag dumping it when practicing.  Unless there are multiple people needing a serving, I figure you best keep shooting to stop the threat.  

On the subject of .38s, I grabbed one of the Mission First Minimalist to try out; with birthday pricing it was like $21 at Midway.  I've got a Rossi in it right now and it seems like it might work pretty well although I think I'll stick with a more traditional IWB holster in the meantime. https://missionfirsttactical.com/H2SWJAIWBM
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#40]
To answer the OP, the 38 shoots heavier bullets that offer more penetration and more ft.lbs of energy (200 .vs 175), and generally you are sure to get the 5 shots (100% reliability).

The newer .380 pistols hold more ammo (at least 6), easier to reload/carry spares, less recoil, and are thinner. The biggest advantage for me is shootability. To make consistent "head-shots" at 15 yards with a revolver (shooting DA very slow and deliberate) it takes a lot of practice. But I can pick up any of my .380 autos and make accurate hits without much practice or effort. This may be due to me shooting auto's 99% of the time so familiarity...

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#42]
I need a 3" K-frame
View Quote

Everyone needs a 3inch K-frame.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 11:34:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Trigger is pretty decent on this one.

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Very nice family photo, sir. You got bit by the 38 bug HARD!
I use hard cast powdercoated 9mm Lee bullets in the 38 sized to .358 and they work quite well for target work. Clang steel all day long. The one thing I can't find is shot capsules - MidwayUSA sends me the alert and bang, out of stock before I can whip up an order.
BTW, the Rossi 68/88 series is an often overlooked and undervalued subset of the 38 snubbie market.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 12:34:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combatcanine0508] [#45]
I had a choice of a KelTec 380 or a S&W642-2 38spl for back up.

I went with the 38. The Golddot 135+p short barrel rounds work really well.

Went through 100 rounds to make sure I could trust it.

The 380 worked but only for a couple of mags before stoppages.
That and the recoil was not worth the small cal over 38 spl

That and if in plain clothes even a cheap uncle Mike's holster works great as a front pocket holster.

The KelTec with holster still printed and looked like a gun
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By MONGO45:

Before

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86935/21A2A784-10F5-48B4-9CFE-14CFF0400C23_jpe-2364464.JPG

After

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86935/1EF387ED-6BCA-4960-A19E-9B0A5B3AFF5F_jpe-2364466.JPG
View Quote

Who did the work? I like that a lot.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 11:19:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#48]
.38 rat shot is a great tool and no issues with the shot capsules in a revolver.  Heavy slow, hot fast, and primer only wax bullets give a lot of flexibility you’d never get in a semi auto.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 3:24:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Does anyone make a straight up K frame clone, like the 1911 gets cloned by various manufacturers?
View Quote

@MRW
https://revolverguy.com/range-report-the-ria-al3-1-357-magnum/

Close enough?
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top