Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:16:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Glock G20, I'm liking 10mm more and more.
ETA: with Doubletap ammo of course
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#2]
PARA 45 Colonel 4.25 pipe ,14 +1 rnds under 650.00
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#3]
m1 garand fired from the hip.  Well at least you'd look cool in an old fashioned kind of way.

In all seriousness, get a pistol that's reliable.  Caliber isn't as important if it's choking.  Test your defense weapons.  Including mags.  It could make or break a situation.  It would suck to have a crappy mag when you need it most.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I plan on getting a Glock 21 for home defense in the future, but for now I got a Sigma, .40 cal.  As long as you hit them in the right place, it shouldn't matter too much.  Shit, if it's all you can afford, grab a hi-point 9mm.  His corpse isn't gonna laugh at your cheap-ass pistol as much as you might think it would.

If you're gonna grab a longarm, I'd go with a shotgun.  Pump's probably best; I'll also have a Mossberg M590 in the very near future, before the G21, and if you stock it with .00 buck, you should be fine.  A fat handful of 30+ cal holes will do some damage to a fellow.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you are trying to say that a shotgun requires just as much marksmanship as a pistol, then I'm afraid you and gomer pyle have some issues.  I believe that there is a good reason they call it a "scatter gun"

At home defense ranges using proper home defense ammo (buckshot) there isn't a whole lot of scatter. You must AIM a shotgun when using it in serious social applications.

It isn't like shooting clays at the range. A good shotgun training course would enlighten you on the effective use of the shotgun against bad guys as opposed to doves.

That being said, the ideal home defense handgun is whatever handgun you can shoot the best.

The handgun itself is a weapon of compromise. When I carry my Smith 442, for instance, I am carrying it because it is the best I can carry concealed at the time. At home, however, concealment isn't an issue, thus you can buy a full sized handgun.

Full sized handguns have many advantages. They are usually easier to shoot accurately, hold more ammunition, and recoil less.

My go to weapon for home defense is an AR-15 with a light mounted on it and a pouch on the stock that holds an additional 30 round magazine. A Sig P220 stays on the nightstand with a Surefire 6Z light beside it as a backup or for other chores, such as answering the door late at night. (Can't always answer the door with an AR-15....)

I used to have a Remington 870 at the ready too, but finally put it away. Odds are that I won't live to see the end of any fight where I would need more than a rifle and a handgun anyway.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Those of you keeping ARs with 100rd c-mags for home defense must live alone (not surprising).  Go ahead and use whatever the hell you want.  I'll keep my 12 gauge with my measly 5 shots to protect my family and feel free to criticize all you want.  The fact remains that the peanut gallery holds no weight when it comes to my choice in guns.  

The last guy I remember needing that kind of firepower was Tony Montana and it didn't work out so well for him in the end.  Guess he should have had that Beta C-mag.  For those of you who are concerned that the Columbian drug cartel is coming for you, I'm glad you are prepared, but this guy just wants to protect himself from home intruders.  I suppose I'll let the "experts" keep peddling their BS.  I'm done with this thread.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Those of you keeping ARs with 100rd c-mags for home defense must live alone (not surprising).  Go ahead and use whatever the hell you want.  I'll keep my 12 gauge with my measly 5 shots to protect my family and feel free to criticize all you want.  The fact remains that the peanut gallery holds no weight when it comes to my choice in guns.  

The last guy I remember needing that kind of firepower was Tony Montana and it didn't work out so well for him in the end.  Guess he should have had that Beta C-mag.  For those of you who are concerned that the Columbian drug cartel is coming for you, I'm glad you are prepared, but this guy just wants to protect himself from home intruders.  I suppose I'll let the "experts" keep peddling their BS.  I'm done with this thread.

Some of the "experts" in this thread have actually been through hundreds of hours of professional weapons training. In all of that training, they have learned a few things. Here are some of the things they have learned:

1. You have to aim a shotgun at close ranges.
2. An AR-15 can be used accurately at close ranges. Spraying like a hollywood movie isn't necessary.
3. The single best way to stop someone intent on doing you harm is to shoot them with a rifle.

As I said before, I suggest you go try and get some training from professionals who rely on weapons skills to survive their daily life. They tend to know what works and what doesn't, and can help seperate cold hard reality from hollywood myth.

There is a reason more and more SWAT teams are transitioning to M4 rifles and away from SMGs and shotguns.  

It isn't because they watched too many movies.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Forget it, not worth the trouble. Read the post above this one, he's right.

Perhaps Mr. Greco should check out O_P's BOT website and see what birdshot looks like at close range (under 10 yards):

Or what buckshot looks like at the same range:

Or even to see that buckshot will penetrate as many walls as 5.56 ammo:

Personally, Mr. Greco, I would rather have a single projectile to keep track of than 9 of them.  

Buckshot:

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:45:58 AM EDT
[#11]
JohnWayne, thanks for the demonstrations and photos - very useful.  It's sort of what I thought, and I had ideas about building a test rig, though not as elaborate as yours.  But, there is no one on this earth more lazy than I, so it never got past the "thinking" stage.  Your photos are great.

BTW, has anyone tried Hornady Tactical against this sort of barrier?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
JohnWayne, thanks for the demonstrations and photos - very useful.  It's sort of what I thought, and I had ideas about building a test rig, though not as elaborate as yours.  But, there is no one on this earth more lazy than I, so it never got past the "thinking" stage.  Your photos are great.

BTW, has anyone tried Hornady Tactical against this sort of barrier?

Old_Painless is responsible for the work you see in those photos. My personal training and the time I have spent shooting various things ranging from appliances to cars to steel plates to sheetrock has shown me exactly what O_P demonstrates so effectively.

You should check out his website:

www.theboxoftruth.com
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#13]
OK, thanks Old Painless, and I'll check out the site.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#14]
www.theboxoftruth.com  ?

Good site... if you want to buy Kama Sutra products.  Provide us with the correct site and I'll check it out.  Hell, if I'm convinced I'll even apologize for arguing.  However, you can not convince me that a shotgun is not an effective weapon for home defense.  And for the record, I never said that you need not aim a shotgun.  Although it does offer a bit more forgiveness than a pistol or rifle at any distance.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.theboxotruth.com

Without the "f", I believe.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
www.theboxoftruth.com  ?

Good site... if you want to buy Kama Sutra products.  Provide us with the correct site and I'll check it out.  Hell, if I'm convinced I'll even apologize for arguing.  However, you can not convince me that a shotgun is not an effective weapon for home defense.  And for the record, I never said that you need not aim a shotgun.  Although it does offer a bit more forgiveness than a pistol or rifle at any distance.  

Quoted:
12 gauge pump!!! There is nothing better for home defense!!! You don't have to worry much about marksmanship. It will make a bit more of a mess than a .45, but hey, paint is cheap your life is priceless!

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
12 gauge pump!!!  There is nothing better for home defense!!!  You don't have to worry much about marksmanship.  It will make a bit more of a mess than a .45, but hey, paint is cheap your life is priceless!

Dude,
You might want to consider going back and editing shit like this.

And Tony Montana? WTF

No one said the shotgun is not an effective weapon for home/self defense. Everyone comes to their own decision about the firearm they choose to defend their home or self.  It may not be the best weapon for others, but that does not matter does it?

With regard to the original question, the answer is for me it is a .45 (Para) in a handsafe next to the bed.  If this does not work, hopefully I will be able to use it to get to my AR.  A shotgun would be the next type of gun out of the safe and if it came to that, it would not be a pump. And please do not tell me about the sound of a racking slide.

Seydou
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:40:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Provide us with the correct site and I'll check it out.  Hell, if I'm convinced I'll even apologize for arguing.

Try google.

However, you can not convince me that a shotgun is not an effective weapon for home defense.

I never said it wasn't an effective weapon for home defense. I simply said that some of your ideas about how a shotgun and a rifle perform weren't right.

And for the record, I never said that you need not aim a shotgun.  Although it does offer a bit more forgiveness than a pistol or rifle at any distance.  

At home gunfight distances, there is no such thing as forgiveness.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Well then I fear for the poor burglar that gets into your bullet proof house and finds you with your M4gery, 100rd C-mag, Aimpoint, and NVGs.  Am I missing anything?  

And to think that I was accused of watching too much TV.  I think you play too many video games my friend.

+1 and I  have seen his shooting and he is not quite as accurate as he says he is. He is still pretty good though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#20]
My first choice:

My second choice (with the stock .45acp barrel):

And for ammo:

Double Tap .45acp

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well then I fear for the poor burglar that gets into your bullet proof house and finds you with your M4gery, 100rd C-mag, Aimpoint, and NVGs.  Am I missing anything?  

And to think that I was accused of watching too much TV.  I think you play too many video games my friend.

+1 and I  have seen his shooting and he is not quite as accurate as he says he is. He is still pretty good though.

I fear for the poor baddie that enters my home too. He ain't gonna be walking out thats for sure.

And if I happen to miss:
Well then I'll just grab my shotgun and point it at them .

Greco7778, once again and I'll say it again, you do not know what you are talking about. Many people in this thread alone have pointed out your obvious flaws in your thought process. You seem to be past the point of saving. Data, with easy to SEE pictures have been posted for those that are incapable of reading, and for us with a little bit of gunk left inside our skulls, alot of text has been reffered to as well as posted.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Pick what you are good shooting with.

Shotgun with pistol grips an shorted barrel would be my choice. (as short as legally possible).  I can put every shot into someones chest with a hip shot w/ a shotgun, even if the buckshot doesnt spead seems to me it'd still do more damage to a person then a pistol or .223 round.

I donno never did tests though but IMO a .12GA w/buckshot is more frightening to face in a small house.

As for a .357mag only pick this if you are strong enough  to be able to shoot rapidly and accuratly as for a .500S&W it'd be the last caliber I'd pick for HD.

Why? Simply if something goes wrong and you miss your screwed cause the recoil is too much to shoot again quick enough, he could prolly have time rush you and attack with a knife. (exageration of course)

I personly wouldnt use a 500 or 357 cause I've never been able to shoot them enough to fire rapidly and accuratly. If theres two of them you are really screwed hehehe.

For a pistol Im personly looking into .40, higher cap then .45 yet more power then the 9.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Pick what you are good shooting with.

Shotgun with pistol grips an shorted barrel would be my choice. (as short as legally possible).  I can put every shot into someones chest with a hip shot w/ a shotgun, even if the buckshot doesnt spead seems to me it'd still do more damage to a person then a pistol or .223 round.

I donno never did tests though but IMO a .12GA w/buckshot is more frightening to face in a small house.

As for a .357mag only pick this if you are strong enough  to be able to shoot rapidly and accuratly as for a .500S&W it'd be the last caliber I'd pick for HD.

Why? Simply if something goes wrong and you miss your screwed cause the recoil is too much to shoot again quick enough, he could prolly have time rush you and attack with a knife. (exageration of course)

I personly wouldnt use a 500 or 357 cause I've never been able to shoot them enough to fire rapidly and accuratly. If theres two of them you are really screwed hehehe.

For a pistol Im personly looking into .40, higher cap then .45 yet more power then the 9.

Seriously?

I donno

Really?

Seydou
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Iknow you said pistol, BUT a 10 ga browning BPS shot gun with a pistol grip and sawed off barrel will make a lasting impression and a large whole.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:05:48 AM EDT
[#25]
And maybe break your arm.  But hey, it'll look cool.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:58:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Sorry Iceage, We are a couple of idiots that watch too much TV.  The kid that sits at home and plays Halo all day long has spoken.  

Death006 might be a little more convincing if he weren't such a cockhead.  I'll keep my shotgun and keep my fingers crossed that I am lucky enough to hit someone coming down my hallway if need be.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Sorry Iceage, We are a couple of idiots that watch too much TV.  The kid that sits at home and plays Halo all day long has spoken.  

Death006 might be a little more convincing if he weren't such a cockhead.  I'll keep my shotgun and keep my fingers crossed that I am lucky enough to hit someone coming down my hallway if need be.  

That was totally uncalled for.  This has been an adult discussion for the most part, except of course for your uneducated drivel and now this pubescent insult. If anyone has appeared to be irrational and ignorant it has been you.  Seriously, re-read some of your posts.  You used a character in a movie to validate your argument!  

You have given nothing to this thread other than now I know to ignore whatever you have to say.

We are a couple of idiots

You did get that right.

By the way, on page three you said you were done with this thread.  Why aren't you?

Seydou
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Iknow you said pistol, BUT a 10 ga browning BPS shot gun with a pistol grip and sawed off barrel will make a lasting impression and a large whole hole.

Yes, a chopped down 10 guage will leave a large hole in something.

The trouble is that with no stock and no care in its use, the odds of that hole being in the bad guy coming to kill you are pretty slim.

Generally, I am of the opinion that if I need to pull the trigger, I need whomever I need to pull the trigger to stop his actions right away if I am to continue on this plane of existence. Thus I am in favor of folks using first what they can reliably and repeatably use accurately under stress, and secondarily making sure that the weapon they use is effective.

A pistol gripped 10 guage loaded with buckshot will certainly stop a bad guy....IF you hit him with it.

Having fired such weapons fairly extensively (pistol gripped shotguns), I have found that point shooting them is kind of fun, but woefully inadequate in the accuracy department.

It is certainly better than fingernails, but a person who can make hits with a small .38 revolver is better off with the revolver than a shotgun they can't make consistent hits with.

You can't miss fast enough or with a big enough gun to win a gunfight.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top