Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2002 2:22:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]
For me, handguns are strickly a defensive tool.  I don't shoot bullseye and that doesn't count for me.

I never shoot off a rest or sitting (well, once in a competition we started sitting for two shots).  I also do not try for "perfect" groups.  I have a goal of hitting within a 6 inch circle up to 15 yards.  The key is - I don't want to take forever doing it.  Remember - defensive use.

As such, I train to hit this size target rapidly and consistantly.  

Having said all that - I can't do it with my Berreta 92 FSC.  I can do it with the Walther 9mm, the Glocks, the 1911s.  

Thats my expectations and realistic success rate.  YMMV
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#2]
offhand with compact pisols 6"@15 yds.
braced 6"@30 yds.
hunting pistols (6 1/2" S&W 629 revolver)6"@50 yds.
with a scoped pistol i want to shoot clay birds at 50-75 yds.
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 2:34:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe I practice to much, but on a good day I can get 3 inch groups at 25 yards. Infact thats what I was getting at the range on saturday with my Browning Highpower Marklll 9mm. But with semi rapid fire at 15 yds I can and do expect to get 2 to 3 inch groups COM. I beleive that accuracy is important if you have to kill some scum bag who is holding your kid or wife in his arms as a cover, all I would do is wink at my family member and they would know to stay still or move in the oppisite direction of perp so I could get a head shot. Shooting would be boring for me if I couldn't hit bullseyes, or at least get better at hitting bullseyes.
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 4:46:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I try to keep most of my shots within one or two lanes. On a good day, nine out of ten will be in one lane and on a great day it will be my lane. ;)
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#5]
"Minimum acceptable" accuracy for the M92/M9 pistols is, if I recall correctly, a 6in. group at 50yd. This is tested at the factory with pretty much whatever 124gr. ball ammo they can get...from a machine fixture.

Old GI 1911's may not do any better than 12in. at this distance, while a 6in. Colt Python can easily do 1in. to 1 1/2in. with ammo it really likes.

The "key" is to remember that the gun / ammo / and the user are all critical parts of the system...but when people say a handgun is not "accurate", it is almost always the shooter at fault. Damn few people can shoot well enough to actually evaluate accuracy with any handgun or ammunition.

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, cops had to shoot 18-24 rounds at 50yd. as part of a 60rd. course. Depending on exactly which course, this included stronghand barricade, weakhand barricade, sitting and prone. Several agencies deleted the weakhand at 50, but some did not. The old B27 target was very generous, and lots of guys could not hit shit out there, but it would surprise you how well some could do. Today, many agencies have actually gone to 15yd. and less for qualification standards. (Hey, if we lower the bar far enough, everybody can get over it!)

When I started...quite possibly before you were born...My first instructor told me to take a gallon coffee can as a guide and draw a circle using a magic marker. Begin up close (7yd.) and when you could keep all shots inside the circle, move back. Worked for me and lots of others...all the way back to 50yd.

Cooper and others have used a similar size target with a time limit of 5 shots in 5 seconds...that is, if you can keep 5 shots on target within 5 seconds at a certain distance, then THAT weapon and ammunition is working well for you...at that distance...for defensive use.

Once you understand proper sight alignment, shooting is actually about TRIGGER CONTROL. Learning to shoot well is hard work and takes serious concentration...but once you master it, it will pay dividends for the rest of your life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top