Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
The Sig is a more classic design and built
like a dump truck , lots of steel and heavy .

The Glock is also boxy and well built but
much lighter .

Both are fine weapons with their own merits
and weaknesses , which are mostly a matter
of personal preferences .

If I had to pick just one I would give the
nod to the Sig . Just because I prefer a heavier
weapon .
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Not all sigs are all steel, they also make alloy frames and have two polymer guns in their lineup also.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
After shooting a number of guns side-by-side I really cant say I like any of the DAO's or the DA/SA's out there.  If I was to choose something other than the 1911 or BHP style guns it would be a Beretta 92, doing on the spot comparison shooting I found I shot the Beretta better than the 226, SigPro, and the G17.  Only thing I dont like about the beretta is the controls, you cannot carry on safe with the hammer cocked because the safety automatically decocks the pistol, and the DA trigger pull isnt as nice as the 226's.  The safety lever on the slide doesnt do it for me either, Im used to the frame mounted thumb safety on my 1911 so for me to operate the beretta one handed is a bit of a challenge.  What I didnt like about the 226 was the grips and general feel of the gun, it didnt fit in my hands like the beretta did, and didnt have the right feel when I aimed it, nor did I shoot it as well.  I bought my wife a 232 before and hated the way it hurt my finger whenever I shot it, and interestingly enough the 226 did the exact same thing to me, although the SigPro did not.  Out of the 14 other people with me that day, not one chose the G17 as their personal favorite to shoot over the beretta or either of the Sigs.  I would recommend that you shoot a few guns side-by-side before you make a decision towards a gun, I always thought I would like the Sigs but I havent found a single one that I can shoot well compared to other guns on the market.  I would like to try a USP though, but I wouldnt buy it in 9mm.  I would never own a Glock unless I found a transferable G18, and I would have to move back to the mainland just to own it.

I got a chance to fire a Glock17 w/ shoulder stock that had been converted to full-auto (attachment to rear of slide) at the Wisconsin AR-15 get together this last February. Holy crap was that thing cool! Very controllable with the stock!!
I know what you mean I would love to get one too.

I shoot the Sig 226 pretty decently but really can't justify the additional price. What I really enjoy about the Glock is the fact that it has the same trigger pull every time. With the Sig / Beretta, you need to practice 2 trigger pulls.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Get an HK USP .40
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#5]
get a springfield xd service
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:14:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a 225 that (after dumping 1k of mil-surp ball thru) has a trigger pull that's better than sex!  Seems Sig triggers are alot like fine wine (that whole "better with age", thing).  
Though my carry piece is a .45, I've been "tire kicking" for another 9mm, this one of the hi-cap flavor.  Looked long and hard at the idea of another Sig, either a 226 or 228......until I read a thread on the board here a few months ago.   Seems there's a guy with a G-21 (in .45) that decided to see exactly how tough Glocks are.   What he did to that pistol borders on "criminally insane"!  (do a search for the thread).
I'm confident that there isn't a pistol out there that'd take the abuse that G-21 did (and keep chugging along).

I like Sigs......alot.   But my next "toy" is gonna be a Glock.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:41:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Since the dead horse has not been beat enough, let me take a few swings too.

If you are looking at both, go to a range that has rentals and try both side by side. See which one fits you best.

Nah....then we couldn't argue and what's the fun in not arguing?

I own both Sigs and Glocks and am a big fan of both. Both types are great weapons and will bring you years of notable service. You really need to detirmine which one fits you best. For me the Glock is my first choice, Sig second and the 1911 types third. HK's rock too (I just don't have any right now ).

But that's me. We all have differing fits, tastes and preferences.

If money permits you might even try the ARFCOM standard and get both.  There are plenty of good deals floating around the net on police trade in guns. I think you can find P226's for around mid $400s and G17's  for low to mid $300s.

Just a thought...

Edited to add:

Take a look at this website, this guy is advertising some good prices on trade in Glocks and Sigs:

www.summitgunbroker.com/index.html
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh great... ..... 89 votes for Glock, and 89 votes for Sig... this reallly helps... geeze.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#9]
226. Much more comfortable, but I couldn't live without either.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I would take the 226 over the G17
But I'd take the G19 over the 228

whatever feels better to the shooter is all that matters
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I have owned all of the "classic" Sigs and many of the Glocks.  The 226 is one of the finest 9mm pistols ever made.  IMHO it is too bulky for CCW.  The 228 is shorter, but still pretty blocky.  No question that the Sigs are more accurate.  Much as I have loved Sigs, the new polymer guns leave me cold.  IMHO the "classic" Sigs are better guns, but most people would be well served with a Glock 19.  I quit carrying either of them and went to custom 1911s.  Best.  Watch-Six  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Sig. nicer trigger and fits my hand a LOT better. i find the glock grip to be too boxy and have a weird angle. the sig is also very accurate. for carry you might want to look at the slightly smaller 228.

+1.

I have a P226 9mm and a P229 .357 Sig. Both are excellent guns. Smooth functioning and feel good in the hand. As far as accuracy goes, for those of us that aren't the best pistol shot these guns sure make us look good at the range!
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 for Sig P226

And for the those who can't get use to double action triger pull and SA
Sig makes the P226 DAK
A consistent trigger pull everytime like a glock but with the double strike capability.

www.sigarms.com/products/classicfullsize-models.asp?product_id=213#
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Save yourself the hassle and heartache, go buy a Browning/F HiPower already.  Im eyeing a Mark III in .40 right now for $500 new, should have it next week if the money comes in on time.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Save yourself the hassle and heartache, go buy a Browning/F HiPower.

Hassle & heartache by owning a SIG?

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Save yourself the hassle and heartache, go buy a Browning/F HiPower.

Hassle & heartache by owning a SIG?

Moreso with a Glock...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#17]
P226
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#18]
G17
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Sig.

Glocks don't feel good in my hands.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

i just fired one today at the range. very exotic handgun.  but i dont feel like mortgaging my home for one!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i just fired one today at the range. very exotic handgun.  but i dont feel like mortgaging my home for one!!!

Arent XD's around the $400 range?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Arent XD's around the $400 range?

Either he owns nothing but Hipoints, or he was thinking of the 1911 line.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I find the first DA shot from my Sig 226 is the most accurate one.  It always amazes me I put it right on the X.   It's a smooth crisp pull just like a S&W revolver, but breaks a little earlier.

I own both Sig 226 (9 mm) and a Glock 29 (10 mm).   The Sig is the more accurate gun in my hands.  Baseball size group vs. pie plate sized group.  The Sig is also the easier gun to carry even though the 29 is smaller on paper.

I voted for the Sig.  I thought it was all hype too until I owned one.  It's sort of like Caddilac vs. Chevy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Glocks are very good guns.  I personally don't prefer the grip size and shape.  That said, they are very reliable, and decently accurate.  And brand new, they are considerable cheaper.

Sigs are fantastic guns.  The engineering is superb.  Mine and all the others that I have shot are extremely accurate.  Like, hitting a torso sized target at 50 yds is no problem accurate.  Maybe you can do that with Glocks too, I've never tried.  But my P228 puts the bullets right where I want it too.  I got a P220 for a buddy of mine as a wedding gift, and its also scarily accurate.  

As for the price difference, you get what you pay for.  I personally would buy used Sigs only, as it would be very very hard for a civilian or a cop to EVER wear one out.  And used P226's can be had for less than $400.  

With Mecgar mags in the P226/P228, the capacity is the same as the G17/G19.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I love my sigs.

Just a spice of Hi Power for ya.

You guys think the Hi Power should be in the Battle Worn 1911 thread, It's not a 1911 but it has some character and probably could tell some great stories if it could talk.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#26]
HiPower is the only non-1911 I would own besides a MK23.  Still contemplating between the BHP MKIII in .40 and the early 70's nickel Colt Commander at the toy store, both run $500 and are begging for me to adopt them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:15:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
HiPower is the only non-1911 I would own besides a MK23.  Still contemplating between the BHP MKIII in .40 and the early 70's nickel Colt Commander at the toy store, both run $500 and are begging for me to adopt them.

Someday I will get a Browning Hi Power. There just so dang expensive around here. I kinda liked that SFS safety hammer one that CDNN Investments was selling.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#28]
They are great shooters guys! Get a Hi Power you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Get neither.  Spend the money on training.  No matter whether you're a poor shot or a pretty accomplished shooter, you're better off learning to shoot better with whatever you carry now.

+1.   The only exception I'd make is for a .22LR pistol, as close to your carry pistol as possible.  Saves a lot in ammo costs over the long run, and the .22LR also helps you get/retain good shooting habits.  

That said, I think the SIG is a better made gun.  And the Glock never fit my hand that well.  Try both, see which one you like better.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get neither.  Spend the money on training.  No matter whether you're a poor shot or a pretty accomplished shooter, you're better off learning to shoot better with whatever you carry now.

+1.   The only exception I'd make is for a .22LR pistol, as close to your carry pistol as possible.  Saves a lot in ammo costs over the long run, and the .22LR also helps you get/retain good shooting habits.  

That said, I think the SIG is a better made gun.  And the Glock never fit my hand that well.  Try both, see which one you like better.  

Ive got a Ceiner .22 kit for 1911's, works great.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Too many sig lovers, so I will get beat for this.  If I were to consider the cartridge at hand (9MM)  I would want capacity.  I believe the G17 allows for more ammo than the P226.  Its lighter and Glock tough, whatever that means(HK guy myself).  I own a P226 in .357 sig and I do believe that the overall balance and feel of the gun is much better than the glocks.

It really depends on what you wish to use the gun for.  If the SHTF, I want the glock.  If its a matter of range shooting, I prefer the feel of the Sig.  It allows for more precise shots simply cause it's more comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Too many sig lovers, so I will get beat for this.  If I were to consider the cartridge at hand (9MM)  I would want capacity.  I believe the G17 allows for more ammo than the P226.  Its lighter and Glock tough, whatever that means(HK guy myself).  I own a P226 in .357 sig and I do believe that the overall balance and feel of the gun is much better than the glocks.

It really depends on what you wish to use the gun for.  If the SHTF, I want the glock.  If its a matter of range shooting, I prefer the feel of the Sig.  It allows for more precise shots simply cause it's more comfortable.

All the capacity in the world doesnt help you if you cant hit what youre aiming at, I would prefer comfortable over capacity in any situation.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Have you tried a CZ 75 single action only?  The trigger sucks but if you send it to a smith who knows CZ's well they can make it as crisp as a 1911 trigger. The smithing expense  isn't that bad since a new CZ 75 SA can be had for $400.  I think the slide inside the frame design is inherently more accurate.  I can shoot it better than any pistol I have owned, and have from day 1.  It puts my other really accurate 9mm a P7 PSP to shame.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:24:09 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you tried a CZ 75 single action only?  The trigger sucks but if you send it to a smith who knows CZ's well they can make it as crisp as a 1911 trigger. The smithing expense  isn't that bad since a new CZ 75 SA can be had for $400.  I think the slide inside the frame design is inherently more accurate.  I can shoot it better than any pistol I have owned, and have from day 1.  It puts my other really accurate 9mm a P7 PSP to shame.

Ive shot a few CZ's, never played with one before.  If I bought one Id try to do the trigger myself and send it off to a smith after I broke it, I think Id have better luck with the Browning.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ive shot a few CZ's, never played with one before.  If I bought one Id try to do the trigger myself and send it off to a smith after I broke it, I think Id have better luck with the Browning.

I've never actually shot a DA/SA CZ.  I don't think I'd like them that much.  I switched to SA only a while back.  I don't even have my beloved P-220 anymore.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Both are good guns but I prefer the Sig.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#39]
           I wonder what those movie stars carry?? hy.gif
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#40]
              I wish the SIG228 had the tennifer finish.  The glock was meant for budget minded police dept.s and the SIG was meant to be like a Mercedes Benz.h.gif
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:41:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Is this going to be a "pretty" gun (Sig), or a working gun (Glock)?

+1

Everyone that I know who has a SIG for a carry pistol is concerned about wearing out the slide, mags, and barrels while complaining how expensive it is.

Everyone that I know who uses a Glock itches to run it through the torture test. Cheap and plentiful mags, lifetime warranty, what's not to like?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:49:40 AM EDT
[#42]
I dunno, but to me the SiG is a normal priced pistol.  I dont see the reason people dont want to put wear on it when they dont cost that much.  Theres a lot of guys on here that carry pistols easily twice the price of the SiG and beat the crap out of them, so why baby the SiG?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I dunno, but to me the SiG is a normal priced pistol.  I dont see the reason people dont want to put wear on it when they dont cost that much.  Theres a lot of guys on here that carry pistols easily twice the price of the SiG and beat the crap out of them, so why baby the SiG?

My Ed Brown Kobra Carry and Wilson CQB are both working girls.  They don't get babied at all.   You should see them.  They're great tools doing what they're supposed to do.  I love a nice finish, but I'd love to use them more than just staring at them in a case.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#44]
The correct answers are both on the first page:

Get neither. Spend the money on training. No matter whether you're a poor shot or a pretty accomplished shooter, you're better off learning to shoot better with whatever you carry now.

I used to own both a Glock 22 and a Sig P229. Both great pistols, and I shot both of them pretty well. But I discovered that I needed about 100 rounds to "remember" each gun when I picked it up. I shot both equally well, after I had refreshed on each gun's quirks.

So I sold one and now only shoot the other seriously. I don't need a refresher now, because I won't have one in real life when I need my pistol.

My "fun guns" aren't shot much, so I'm always relatively incompetent with them. That's fine by me, because I never bet my life on them.

and...

Some guys missed my point about pretty vs working gun. Remember, the sig is double action first shot, single action the rest. Glock is the same first shot or last. I carry the glock, it's easier to train with for me. Nothing to decock, no safeties. I love the sig but I can't get used to the first shot no matter how much I trained with it. First shot is always somewhat off for me and the first shot is what counts. So the sig gets shot occassionally and spends most of its time in the safe. The glock is my workhorse. Not pretty (pretty ugly in fact) but pretty damned user friendly.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Every one here has valid points.  My recomendation would be glock if you know how to exercise trigger discipline.  Have an $18 dollar 3.5 lb disconect installed or do it your self.  I garuntee that if you practice proper shoting postures, roll you shoulders in and focus on the front site tip, you'll never consider the over priced and heavier sig.

Heres a lil pic of my "baby"
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/onekwikpony/detail?.dir=9366&.dnm=18b3.jpg
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quick, write to the Naval Special Warfare Center and tell'em they're outfitting SEAL's with "pretty" guns!!! They need to know this!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quick, write to the Naval Special Warfare Center and tell'em they're outfitting SEAL's with "pretty" guns!!! They need to know this!

Dont forget heavy and overpriced too!  $400 should be the cap on what their lives are worth, nothing more!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm a Sig man myself.  I've got two P229's and I'm thinking of getting two more.  There's a lot of truth to the idea that switching back and forth between different makes takes some getting used to.

To me, the P226 is a bit on the large side, especially since I believe in carrying a backup in the same make and model as the primary.  

I don't like the spongy trigger on the Glocks.

I also live on a farm and I end up shooting a lot of varmints and a few deer with my carry pistol, so the extra accuracy of the Sig matters.  Just yesterday, I popped a racoon at about 20 yards that was robbing feed from a sheep trough, and the coon was partially obscured by the feed trough so I didn't have the whole animal to aim at.  Terminating the exististance of racoons and groundhogs is a very common occurrance.  I've made shots on varmints out to 150 yards with the Sig.  There's something to be said for being able to cock a pistol, line up a shot carefully with a good rest, and make an accurate single action shot.  It's better to have the accuracy and not need it than to need it and not have it.  (By the way, my Sig P229's are in .357 Sig.)

Michael Courtney
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:49:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Hey, Bear! I own a Sig 220, a .45 ACP and a Glock 17; two, actually. For me, the GLock's grip angle works, and I have a supply of 17+2 mags. You could always keep the 19 as a backup and the 17 mags fit the 19 as well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:26:04 AM EDT
[#50]
SO WHAT PISTOL DID YOU END UP BUYING?????
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top