Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#1]
A decent 1911 followed by a close second HK USP Tactical. I'd still get a quality 1911 hands down though. I myself am considering a Springfield or a Kimber. The HK will come later.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#2]
GLOCK, any caliber.

Check to make sure that your hands are big enough if you want a 10mm or .45 ACP (Models 20, 21, 29 & 30)
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Revolver: Colt Python
Semi-automatic: Walther P-99
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Kimber makes a better 1911A1 than Colt or Springfield.  Hell, a Custom II can be had for about $650.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Love me my Glock 17. Followed closely by my Kimber CDP II Pro.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#7]
My favorite is my next pistol, the Kimber Warrior, Then followed by my 2 favorite handguns that I have a Sig 225 and my 688 S&W 357 Magnum.

Pat
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Any HK USP
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Glock 21 is my favorite, but any Glock is better.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Well for the money I think the Glock 21 is gonna be my best choice for now...although I'm sure I'll get a 1911 once I start shooting more.

Thanks for all the replies...keep'em coming.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 1:49:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Gov't Model.

Colt or SA.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 1:56:08 AM EDT
[#12]
My Wilson SGP Full size 1911.   Unfortunately all the range time with it and the thousands upon thousands of rounds its fired has exposed me to far to much lead, rotting my brain and making me too stupid to realize I have a piece of shit thats going to break....soon supposedly.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 3:47:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Glock 17.Glock26.HK45.G17,G26 depending on condition 400 to 700.HK 650 to 1200.Prices are rough approximates.I've personaly ownd the Glocks.Only got to shoot the HK 45.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 3:48:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice Kimber!

I have been looking at this Kimber, Custom TLE II...what a sick looking pistol, and from what I've heard an excellent shooting pistol. Although I haven't seen any prices for it so i'm sure its a good chunk of change.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I have varried tastes but seem to keep coming back to my Les Baer Premier-II in .45ACP ($1300 8 years ago).  Right now it's at Virgil Tripp having a few custom touches added (~$400), but even before that it was still the finest pistol I owned.  I just bought an 9mm FN Hi Power ($400) and it is a ton of fun, too.  Of course, revolvers are a blast...er...I guess I like them all!

However, it's not important what I like, it's important what you like.  If Glocks seem to suit you, then the G17 is hard to beat for a plinking gun.  The easy availability of inexpensive ammo makes it very practical.  It will do as a fighting gun (not my 1st choice, but it will do) and should last many tens-of-thousands of rounds with minimal maintenance.  Also, there are a bunch of available aftermarket accessories to customize it, should you think that necessary.  Finally, it's not too expensive and should fit most budgets.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well I want to buy a handgun soon but I wanted to do a little research first. I want the handgun for shooting at the range...bowling pin matches and other fun comps, I want the gun to be accurate. I've shot a couple different handguns, Glock 30 in .45, Sig pro in .45 and a Sig P226 in .40. I've also shot a couple different .44 magnums and .357. I like shooting revolvers but I prefer magazines. My favorite so far has been the Glock.

I'd like to hear what your favorite handgun is, in what caliber, maybe even your favorite handgun company. Also if you could put a general price tag on each handgun mentioned I'd appreciate it.

Thanks    

Not to slam you in any way, but that's an odd question.  It's fine to ask others about their favorite, but what about you?  Firearms, within some reasonable limits, often come down to what you like best.

If you're into bowling pins, then I would think .45ACP would be the logical choice.  If you like the Glock, it fits your hand and you shoot it well, then go for it.  No one can or should tell you what is going to fit your hand or tastes best.  Also, a longer slide will be easier to shoot accurately, and you don't seem interested in concealed carry.  This seems to indicate you should be shopping for a Glock 21.

JMHO, YMMV.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#18]
For work & CCW = Para Ordnance P7 .45acp $650.00 New
For Backup and CCW = NAA Guardian .380 $400.00 New
For Hunting/checking fences = 5-1/2" Ruger Stainless Super Blackhawk .44 mag $325.00 Used
For Play = 6-1/2" Blued Ruger Super Single Six .22/.22mag $165.00 Used
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Ruger P89.  Never a FTF.  My most reliable pistol.  S&W 6906 for CCW.  Got rid of a glock 17 to much jamming.  Berreta 92, that  thing was loose like my ex.  Had an HK USP .45, did not feel right.  I will stick with Ruger.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well I want to buy a handgun soon but I wanted to do a little research first. I want the handgun for shooting at the range...bowling pin matches and other fun comps, I want the gun to be accurate. I've shot a couple different handguns, Glock 30 in .45, Sig pro in .45 and a Sig P226 in .40. I've also shot a couple different .44 magnums and .357. I like shooting revolvers but I prefer magazines. My favorite so far has been the Glock.

I'd like to hear what your favorite handgun is, in what caliber, maybe even your favorite handgun company. Also if you could put a general price tag on each handgun mentioned I'd appreciate it.

Thanks    

Not to slam you in any way, but that's an odd question.  It's fine to ask others about their favorite, but what about you?  Firearms, within some reasonable limits, often come down to what you like best.

If you're into bowling pins, then I would think .45ACP would be the logical choice.  If you like the Glock, it fits your hand and you shoot it well, then go for it.  No one can or should tell you what is going to fit your hand or tastes best.  Also, a longer slide will be easier to shoot accurately, and you don't seem interested in concealed carry.  This seems to indicate you should be shopping for a Glock 21.

I understand its kind of a weird/dumb question but I guess i just wanted to hear what everyone liked. Not only would it give me an idea of all my choices but I thought I could also step away with an idea of what guns are great and what guns stink.

You are correct in saying I'm not interested in a concealed carry firearm so I'll be shopping for a gun with a longer slide.

I do have another question, is there any place I can go and test out different pistols? I'd like to shoot the Glock 21 and say a 1911, possibly some others to see what I like best.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#21]
for semi autos I like 1911s in .45acp (only caliber i like them in)  And I prefer Springfield or USGI pistols

If I want to go to a pussy caliber i shoot a CZ75 in 9mm, or very very rarely one in 40 Small and Weak
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If I want to go to a pussy caliber i shoot a CZ75 in 9mm, or very very rarely one in 40 Small and Weak

ROFL!...OOOk well I guess I'll go with the .45 hehe
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Kimber Warrior slightly modified.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#24]
The handgun would be a S&W Model 39-2 9mm TDA.

Handgun maker is S&W.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:05:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand its kind of a weird/dumb question but I guess i just wanted to hear what everyone liked. Not only would it give me an idea of all my choices but I thought I could also step away with an idea of what guns are great and what guns stink.

You are correct in saying I'm not interested in a concealed carry firearm so I'll be shopping for a gun with a longer slide.

I do have another question, is there any place I can go and test out different pistols? I'd like to shoot the Glock 21 and say a 1911, possibly some others to see what I like best.

If you don't know anyone who owns both, try posting in the Hometown->Utah forum and see if some kind soul there would be willing to take you out and try theirs.  I would bet anything that you could get together with a couple of guys who would be happy to help you out.

Option two is an indoor range.  They will often have many guns to rent.  Glocks are very common, and you'll prolly find a SpringField GI .45 (or similar) to try.

Or a combination of the two, meet a fellow ARFCOMMer at an indoor range.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Not a bad idea...thanks carbine.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#27]
My favorite handguns are:

S&W 629 3"
Browning Hi-Power in .40

Neither of these is suitable to the requirements stated.  Actually, I would recommend a 9 mm for range and bowling pin "fun" shooting.  Use a heavier framed pistol, though.  It's cheap, and in a heavier framed pistol has low recoil.  Even Glocks aren't bad, though they are lighter.  If the grip angle fits your wrist geometry, that's the way to go.  (It doesn't fit me, so I don't own one).  Another is any SIG you can get reasonably.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Wilson CQB :)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top