Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2017 11:47:41 PM EDT
Somewhere....in this rack of SEVENTY .44 AutoMag frames.....

IS MINE!!!!

I can NOT wait!!!!

I ordered the 8.5 inch Founder's Edition, though mine will be a bit different.  I requested G-10 grips and a frosted upper to match the frame.

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Kinda fun. Didn't Clint use one of those in a Dirty Harry?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:13:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Do want! The movie was Sudden Impact btw
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:17:46 AM EDT
[#3]
.44 AMP cartridge next to a 10mm Norma:

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Aren't those essentially a cut down .308 case?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Ohmygod.

Can I borrow it? It would be selfish not to share.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A friend of mine has his on preorder, it will be his 23rd Automag.
View Quote
How much are those? I googled them and it said they were like $5,600?!?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I get that reference

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/e66d0768-3c00-48af-a683-9fdde2efc7d9
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What, no .41 Automag?
View Quote
It's a slightly problematic cartridge to "make" correctly as the disparity between the OD of the case and the OD of the bullet is SO narrow that it causes a lot of seating problems.  Things like crushed shoulders etc. are common.

There is a cartridge based off of the 45 Win mag called the 40 KMP which would be dimensionally a lot more stable during loading BUT I don't know a whole lot about the cartridge. 
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A friend of mine has his on preorder, it will be his 23rd Automag.
The Founder's Edition guns like mine are the 5k+ guns.  The regular guns are around 3.5k.  Now, that is darn expensive but understand these are being built like boutique 1911s or, for that matter, any boutique gun.  The machine work on these is INCREDIBLE.  The guy heading the manufacturing is the guy who headed it back in the 1970s...but this time he actually has the ability to do the job to its fullest potential as he is not limited by a company that keeps collapsing into bankruptcy, which is what kept happening to AutoMag.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Mack the Bastard.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Good for you. That has to be one of the sexiest pistols ever, if not the one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Mack the Bastard.
View Quote
The Executioner!
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Good for you. That has to be one of the sexiest pistols ever, if not the one.
View Quote
I am pretty stoked.  There have been some really cool, very experienced, very smart people on this project.

Largely it started as an experiment to push the design in several directions as a "period of discovery".  After that, the design was largely finalized and the manufacturing methods and such were decided on, the prints finalized,etc.  The current gun is a blend of old and new design and manufacturing techniques.  There will be more developments and advancements along the way but the design right now is definitely ready for production.

The first 50 or so guns are sort of the "proof run" of the gun, getting everything smoothed out and set up right so those guns will be very well scrutinized.

To give you an idea of the tolerancing involved, the machined finish on the upper and the bolt components is so good that they can be properly and aesthetically high polished correctly on a single polishing pass with no leveling of the surface finish necessary.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I wish they'd be more clear about things on their webpage. Am I correct that they are doing three versions of the gun?

The Founder Version, which you bought, which is the Classic with an ~8 in barrel.
The Classic Version, which is based on the original plans with a ~6 in barrel.
And finally, the Auto Mag X, which resembles the old gun, but incorporates modern design/machining choices.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I love that gun....
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Does anybody here that owns an Automag or has handled or shot one also own a Wildey or handled or shot one of those too? How do they compare to each other? One of these two are somewhere on my want list.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#22]
This is so cool.  I considered pre-ordering actually.  

Really looking forward to a good review.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Does anybody here that owns an Automag or has handled or shot one also own a Wildey or handled or shot one of those too? How do they compare to each other? One of these two are somewhere on my want list.
View Quote
My problem with the Wildey is the adjustable gas system. If you take the gun down the clean it, you have to re-adjust the gas system afterwards. Other than that, it was pretty nice. The de-cocking safety is nice. The Wildey has a slide that moves--as opposed to the Auto Mag, which is like the Ruger Mark II in which you have a bolt carrier or whatever you want to call it, that moves inside a fixed housing. For hunting, I count the fixed housing as an advantage, because with winter gloves on, I'll cause a malfunction on a Desert Eagle every time.

I haven't owned an Auto Mag.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have shot both and the felt recoil on the Wildey was shockingly soft.  The Automag even with light loads was the real deal, and quite the flamethrower to boot!  The most disappointing thing for me on the automag was that the owner was surprised someone knew what it was... WTF!

Congrats OP I am quite jealous!  Enjoy the new in good health Sir!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Bronson used a Wildey in one of the  Death Wish movies.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#26]
How much for spare mags?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wish they'd be more clear about things on their webpage. Am I correct that they are doing three versions of the gun?

The Founder Version, which you bought, which is the Classic with an ~8 in barrel.
The Classic Version, which is based on the original plans with a ~6 in barrel.
And finally, the Auto Mag X, which resembles the old gun, but incorporates modern design/machining choices.
View Quote
The website doesn't get a lot of updating, per se.  Just "added to".

The Founder's Edition is just the first production run, in effect.

The Classic Edition will be a run of 6.5 inch regular production but I am not sure if the Classic Edition is limited and then will just go to "regular" production.  I am not sure.  Once regular production gets underway, as far as I know you will be able to order either 8.5 or 6.5 inch guns as is your preference.

The Auto Mag X just didn't pan out for various engineering reasons.  Unfortunate, because I really liked the operating system pertaining to the bolt locking system but there were other things about it that were just not viable.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How much for spare mags?
View Quote
Insanely expensive.  Hoping to see that drop.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Wildey guns are VERY beefy guns.  They were originally going to handle a double column magazine of 9mm Magnum but that never panned out...the grip frame was never changed and it's quite the moose.  Comparable to a .50 AE Desert Eagle.....

The AutoMag is the only true magnum AutoLoader that is actually fairly easy to handle for the average bear.  They are still BIG.  I can take the safety OFF on handed but have to use my weak hand to actuate it to the ON position.  That being said, I have to do that wih a Colt Woodsman, too....but that is more of an ergonomic design issue.  The AutoMag is just....big.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The Executioner!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mack the Bastard.
The Executioner!

Sweet hand cannon
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Congrats
View Quote
Thank you, Sir!!!

I'll have a full write up when i get it and once I am done testing it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 1:08:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Subscribe
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The website doesn't get a lot of updating, per se.  Just "added to".

The Founder's Edition is just the first production run, in effect.

The Classic Edition will be a run of 6.5 inch regular production but I am not sure if the Classic Edition is limited and then will just go to "regular" production.  I am not sure.  Once regular production gets underway, as far as I know you will be able to order either 8.5 or 6.5 inch guns as is your preference.

The Auto Mag X just didn't pan out for various engineering reasons.  Unfortunate, because I really liked the operating system pertaining to the bolt locking system but there were other things about it that were just not viable.
View Quote
Thanks! I never found the "update" where they canceled the updated version.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#37]
It's not canceled, per se, it's just in "development hell".
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Congrats, much jelly I am.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The Wildey guns are VERY beefy guns.  They were originally going to handle a double column magazine of 9mm Magnum but that never panned out...the grip frame was never changed and it's quite the moose.  Comparable to a .50 AE Desert Eagle.....

The AutoMag is the only true magnum AutoLoader that is actually fairly easy to handle for the average bear.  They are still BIG.  I can take the safety OFF on handed but have to use my weak hand to actuate it to the ON position.  That being said, I have to do that wih a Colt Woodsman, too....but that is more of an ergonomic design issue.  The AutoMag is just....big.
View Quote
The size of the grips would be a big factor for me. So you're saying that a Wildey's grips would be comparable to a 50 Desert Eagle? And the AutoMag's are smaller (or I suppose less girth)? I don't think either one of these guns would be likely to be in a case at the local gunshop, so it'd be difficult to "try before you buy". I'd hate to order one blind just to find out that I can't get a comfortable hold on it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The size of the grips would be a big factor for me. So you're saying that a Wildey's grips would be comparable to a 50 Desert Eagle? And the AutoMag's are smaller (or I suppose less girth)? I don't think either one of these guns would be likely to be in a case at the local gunshop, so it'd be difficult to "try before you buy". I'd hate to order one blind just to find out that I can't get a comfortable hold on it.
View Quote
 This is correct.

The Desert Eagle is just.....HUGE, even though it is a single stack.  With Hogue rubber grips and the long frame meant to handle everything from .357 magnum to .50 AE....it is a moose.

The Wildey is not quite as "long" in the frame as the D.E. BUT it is really wide.  So where it gains in length it really loses in width.

The AutoMag is a long grip frame BUT is very narrow due to the fact that it uses a rimless case, therefor the magazine doesn't have to be as wide as the made for the rimmed .44 Remington magnum cases used in the Desert Eagle or the massive rebated rimmed .50 AE.

Here is a pic of me with my original TDE AutoMag.  Note that the first few hundred AutoMags are using ORIGINAL frames from the 1970s ( long story ) so they will be the exact same as what you see in this picture as far as frame size goes.

I am 5 foot 10 and weigh about 190.  My hands are exactly average...as is my build....  In the pic ( from about 2004) I am about 175.  I can handle a Smith 29 one handed with ease and have done so since I was about 10 or 11 because I grew "UP" super fast.  I fact, I am over an inch shorter than when I was 17.

Handling the AutoMag live fire with moderate loads is no harder...why in fact it is EASIER than running a .44 Remington Magnum revolver like a 29 or an Anaconda and DEFINITELY easier on the wrist than a Ruger Blackhawk....though the Blackhawk is the easiest to handle with milder loads due to grip size.

If you are 5' 9" or above with normal hands....you can do the AutoMag...easy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#41]
from the depths of the net:

Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#42]
That is one hell of a handgun. Very nice.

I would love to shoot one someday.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 12:44:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This is correct.

The Desert Eagle is just.....HUGE, even though it is a single stack.  With Hogue rubber grips and the long frame meant to handle everything from .357 magnum to .50 AE....it is a moose.

The Wildey is not quite as "long" in the frame as the D.E. BUT it is really wide.  So where it gains in length it really loses in width.

The AutoMag is a long grip frame BUT is very narrow due to the fact that it uses a rimless case, therefor the magazine doesn't have to be as wide as the made for the rimmed .44 Remington magnum cases used in the Desert Eagle or the massive rebated rimmed .50 AE.

Here is a pic of me with my original TDE AutoMag.  Note that the first few hundred AutoMags are using ORIGINAL frames from the 1970s ( long story ) so they will be the exact same as what you see in this picture as far as frame size goes.

I am 5 foot 10 and weigh about 190.  My hands are exactly average...as is my build....  In the pic ( from about 2004) I am about 175.  I can handle a Smith 29 one handed with ease and have done so since I was about 10 or 11 because I grew "UP" super fast.  I fact, I am over an inch shorter than when I was 17.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23042/91136.JPG

Handling the AutoMag live fire with moderate loads is no harder...why in fact it is EASIER than running a .44 Remington Magnum revolver like a 29 or an Anaconda and DEFINITELY easier on the wrist than a Ruger Blackhawk....though the Blackhawk is the easiest to handle with milder loads due to grip size.

If you are 5' 9" or above with normal hands....you can do the AutoMag...easy.
View Quote
I can relate to everything you've said so it looks like you've sold me on an Automag. That's a 6 1/2" barrel in that picture, right? The one Dirty Harry used was the 8 1/2"? Have you handled both different lengths, how do they balance, any preference? I have a S&W 629 in a 6", and I love the balance of that. But then again, I have a S&W 617 in 22LR with a 6" barrel, and the balance is terrible, it it too muzzle heavy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My problem with the Wildey is the adjustable gas system. If you take the gun down the clean it, you have to re-adjust the gas system afterwards. Other than that, it was pretty nice. The de-cocking safety is nice. The Wildey has a slide that moves--as opposed to the Auto Mag, which is like the Ruger Mark II in which you have a bolt carrier or whatever you want to call it, that moves inside a fixed housing. For hunting, I count the fixed housing as an advantage, because with winter gloves on, I'll cause a malfunction on a Desert Eagle every time.

I haven't owned an Auto Mag.
View Quote
The easiest way to handle the Wildey is measure the position of the adjustment from the slide and put it back at the same spot.

It is easier than trying to count clicks but that also works most of the time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I can relate to everything you've said so it looks like you've sold me on an Automag. That's a 6 1/2" barrel in that picture, right? The one Dirty Harry used was the 8 1/2"? Have you handled both different lengths, how do they balance, any preference? I have a S&W 629 in a 6", and I love the balance of that. But then again, I have a S&W 617 in 22LR with a 6" barrel, and the balance is terrible, it it too muzzle heavy.
View Quote
I owned the 6.5 version.  If it was unbalanced in any way, I don't recall it.  I remember it just felt...."right" in my hand.  Like a Model 29 does.  It's no Browning Hi-Power or Luger.....but it felt.....good.  They are a big gun.

I don't know how the 8.5 is gonna feel but I got the 8.5 because I want to have as much volume as possible to burn powders like 296, H100 and such.

I have both a Model 617 AND a 17 with 6 inch barrels.  They are a bit hefty.....but they sure shoot nice.  I also have a 4 inch Model 17. The 4 inch has a much better balance.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:50:28 PM EDT
[#46]
That’s awesome!

Hope you’re stocked up on .308 cases you can cut down to make ammo for it
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That’s awesome!

Hope you’re stocked up on .308 cases you can cut down to make ammo for it
View Quote
I have a workaround. 
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:21:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Indeed, that was how the original cases were made. The .357 AMP was the same case necked down.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 2:49:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have a workaround. 
View Quote
Do say.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 4:11:20 AM EDT
[#50]
That's awesome!   Congrats!

When is delivery expected?  Or projected.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top