User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a woman with small hands/fingers and have always had the idea that I absolutely need to reach all controls and operate my pistol well with one hand.
Full sized pistols that work for me. Not necessarily in this order...
1911 with slim grips and short trigger, oversized mag release and extended slide stop
Browning High Power
Followed by most single-stack pistols, though reaching the controls is variable, even within models of the same manufacturer.

Aside from 'full sized' my everyday carry is currently a Springfield XDS 45 subcompact while I transition to my SIG P229 40 which is a compact.
I have both standard and E2 grips, but find the fit better for me with the E2s. I have moved the mag release to the right so I can hit it with my index finger since my thumb is just a bit too short for it to work well on the left.

I also have bilateral carpal tunnel with some hand/wrist weakness which I work hard to overcome and not 'limp wrist' secondary to fatigue.

In the end, you just have to keep your goals in mind when handling weapons and choose what you feel either fits you best or that you can modify to accommodate your needs and desires.

Edit: I also have a Colt Detective Special 38 I've had for years that used to be my primary weapon. I moved to the semi-autos for capacity reasons... that and it's way too pretty to carry.  
View Quote
Only thing to add would be S&W k/L frame with houge rubber bantams.  Those , or BHP with thin grips are best fitting handguns owned.  1911 with thin grips are third.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#2]
FN Fiveseven for the recoil sensitive one handed man.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 12:05:29 AM EDT
[#3]
You'd be amazed how good a P30 feels in the hand. I use the small inserts on mine and it's great. Incredibly ergonomic pistol.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You'd be amazed how good a P30 feels in the hand. I use the small inserts on mine and it's great. Incredibly ergonomic pistol.
View Quote
Beat me to it. P30, V1 (give the LEM a try, same pull every time):

Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:26:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
P99
View Quote
This was going to be my suggestion.  The Walther P99 has the same kind of ergonomics you were impressed with in the PPQ but on a slightly smaller scale.  It is also an accurate and dependable design - you should at least hold on in your hand and check it out.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds to me like you should look at the CZ p10C and the new S&W 2.0 compact (maybe even the 1.0 compact) with the smallest back strap options.  Very substantial firearms.

Also, don't be afraid of a good single sack 9mm.  The S&W Shield is 8+1 from the factory. I believe it has reliable aftermarket mag modification options that can add another round or two.  I've heard it described as the smallest true fighting handgun on the market, and that seems just about right to me.  Great gun.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Best suggestion so far for the folks with "wuddle-hands" -----> 1911 in 9mm dressed with a pair of slim grips, meaning thinner than "standard" OEM grips.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#8]
What about a steyr m9-a1. They have a great grip and are easier then most one handed. Also it’s in between a compact and full so it’s low weight.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I have small hands and can shoot anything one handed.
I think you are bring too picky....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top