User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Tueller drill shows that a criminal will crash a good guy before the good guy can draw if he is within 21 feet. Do you not allow people asking for a quarter to get within 21 feet of you? If the solution is situational awareness (we know the guy is there, it's not a secret), and fast gun skills, then it won't be a solution within 21 feet (or so). Strangers get within 10 feet of each other constantly. It's common.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one said to shoot people for talking to you.
The Tueller drill shows that a criminal will crash a good guy before the good guy can draw if he is within 21 feet. Do you not allow people asking for a quarter to get within 21 feet of you? If the solution is situational awareness (we know the guy is there, it's not a secret), and fast gun skills, then it won't be a solution within 21 feet (or so). Strangers get within 10 feet of each other constantly. It's common.
And what is your solution?

Draw down on anyone that approaches you?

This is nothing but rampant paranoia.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That's also a drill that doesn't account for the good guy moving, defending with the week hand, or verbally de escalating.
View Quote
You are talking about what to do when things are not going according to plan and a potential criminal (or not a criminal) is now very close to you, and I totally agree. I don't know what else to say. Like I said before, sometimes it's messy.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Why would you want a bad behavior to be learned?  Real life shooting you do not get to scrub but the range you mess up somewhere scrub the run and start over because it is a learning session otherwise the brain learns a bad behavior.  My 2¢ YMMV
View Quote
Dude, this makes no sense.  If you flub a draw in a real situation, if you always put it back in the holster during training, that's probably what you're going to do in a situation.  That's just dumb.  Even if your draw isn't perfect a shot with an imperfect grip may just be enough.  

I mean really,  Ah, hold on Mr., Don't hurt me yet because I have to actually stick my gun back and do it again.  I need a do over sir.  Oh sure dude, I will stop for you and allow you to do a proper presentation so you can shoot me more skillfully.  

I mean obviously that's not what you're saying, but it's basically what you said.  

You think that training is going to overcome any and all imperfections in a situation?    You play music?  I can play 100x a song preparing for the day of performance.  Yes, the more you practice the less likely you are to mess up.  But crap happens in real life.  And the extra nerves of actually being in the stressful situation can bring a new dimension that you can't really train for.  And it changes things.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:05:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's just dumb.
View Quote
I don't know what your goal is, but I won't consider your opinion if it involves insulting other people.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't know what your goal is, but I won't consider your opinion if it involves insulting other people.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just dumb.
That's not a personal insult.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I probably went too far with that.  I apologize.  I shouldn't have said that.  I'm no expert.  I might be the dumb one.   But I do disagree with what he said.  

Edgecrusher, please forgive me for my harsh words.  I should've disagree'd more respectfully.

If I read what I'm saying, I think I meant it would be dumb to reholster your gun when you're trying defend yourself.   But it could easily read, it was a dumb thing to say, it's a dumb way to train, he's dumb, etc etc.  I don't think Edgecrusher is dumb.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm left handed.
My left thumb is a little off kilter from a ski mountaineering accident.
When I use the 1911, I:
-Disengage the safety as soon as the gun is level out of the holster.
-My left thumb goes UNDER the safety. If I ride the safety I lose a piece of meat out of my thumb. Thumb over thumb grip.
-Whatever happens while the gun is out the safety stays OFF. Finger off trigger as appropriate.
-When I head back to the holster safety is engaged, thumb is placed on hammer until gun is holstered.

I can shoot a 1911 riding the safety with my thumb over right handed no problem.

I practice one handed shooting, either hand, from the draw, from the hip and from retention. Safety comes off, stays off, as soon as the gun is level.

As far as the issue of remembering to engage the safety before holstering as a reason to engage the safety as you draw the gun back:
-I carry a USP C .45. DA/SA. When I'm done with a string of fire, I HAVE to remember to decock before I holster. I have never seen this as a problem. I NEVER decock it between strings of fire if the gun stays at the ready. In the single action mode this gun is no different than the 1911, except for a longer take up on the SA trigger.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top