Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2017 3:46:56 PM EDT
I'm flying out of town early this next week & I can not find my lock box to save my ass, can I use a pelican box with a small keyed pad lock?

I live in a small town & if Walmart doesn't have one I'm screwed.

I'm flying out of Reno which is about three hours from here at 6:00am so I won't have time to stop at one of the bigger sporting goods stores.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Locked, hard sided case.  My suggestion is to use your Pelican.  No TSA locks, but probably need a lock for every place on the case that can accept one.  Only you know the combo or have the key.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Pelican case and non-TSA locks is what I use.  TSA locks on the bag.  Put the case on top of your luggage and I always drop a chamber flag to unlock the barrel from the slide so when they X-ray they can see it out of battery.  Anything for less hassle if possible although Atlanta is the only place I was hassled.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 11:21:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two heavy duty locks on my small pelican and then I also bike lock the price to the telescoping handle on the inside of my checked in luggage(sporting TSA approved lock). Some airports(TSA) have requested to see the pelicans contents. Pay your fee and drop the orange card into your checked in luggage, be on your way.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:39:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Look for a TSA approved case. I wanna say most pelicans are but you should be able to find one at a big box store pretty easy. Most will have TSA approved advertised on the packaging if they are.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#5]
That's exactly what I use, a small Pelican case (when flying with only one gun that is).
It has two places for a padlock. I use a padlock on one side and cable lock it to the frame/inside rail of the larger suitcase that it's in using the other lock hole.

Have a great trip!

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks guys
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Always place a spare lock or extra locks in the case, if tsa wants to open your case and you are not around to open it they will cut your locks off.  Without replacements your gun stays at that airport until you come to retrieve it as they have no means of re-securing it.  Almost happen to me several years ago in WPB, bastards were about to use the bolt cutters on the locks to my pelican as security wanted to make an addition inspection.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:36:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Always place a spare lock or extra locks in the case, if tsa wants to open your case and you are not around to open it they will cut your locks off.  Without replacements your gun stays at that airport until you come to retrieve it as they have no means of re-securing it.  Almost happen to me several years ago in WPB, bastards were about to use the bolt cutters on the locks to my pelican as security wanted to make an addition inspection.
View Quote
They absolutely have no authority to cut or remove your locks on your firearm container.  They may be able to deny your luggage on the plane if you fail to report for the secondary inspection.  They must call for you and give you an opportunity to unlock the case for the secondary inspection.  If you fail to respond they can deny your luggage on board the plane.  Federal regulations do not allow them to force open a declared firearm container.  Including TSA...  no one but you can have access or open the locked firearm container.

Cut my locks ?   That would be reported as vandalism and attempted theft of a firearm.   I would call for the police and demand an arrest be made.  If and when they deny me that satisfaction...   See you on the 11 o clock news..   TSA agents attempted to steal firearms at airport....
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They absolutely have no authority to cut or remove your locks on your firearm container.  They may be able to deny your luggage on the plane if you fail to report for the secondary inspection.  They must call for you and give you an opportunity to unlock the case for the secondary inspection.  If you fail to respond they can deny your luggage on board the plane.  Federal regulations do not allow them to force open a declared firearm container.  Including TSA...  no one but you can have access or open the locked firearm container.

Cut my locks ?   That would be reported as vandalism and attempted theft of a firearm.   I would call for the police and demand an arrest be made.  If and when they deny me that satisfaction...   See you on the 11 o clock news..   TSA agents attempted to steal firearms at airport....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.

The box worked no problem both ways, never got called for secondary inspection.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#10]
What airports... I have only been secondary inspected at ATL by a ass with TSA he swabbed my whole back inside and out.  The whole time I am thinking if I had explosives why would I declare a firearm.  He was on a power trip it seemed like and he was very uncourteus about the whole thing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What airports... I have only been secondary inspected at ATL by a ass with TSA he swabbed my whole back inside and out.  The whole time I am thinking if I had explosives why would I declare a firearm.  He was on a power trip it seemed like and he was very uncourteus about the whole thing.
View Quote
I fly to GA once or twice a year, they always swab the checked luggage containing a firearm. Seems to be their norm for at least the past 5 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top