Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2017 1:51:03 PM EDT
Anyone have issues with this? Any hints. My vision gets blurry and distorted a lot of time when pistol shooting. I can still shoot accurately. It's just extremely irritating. Causes flyers occasionally.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you shoot one eye open or two open?
What kind of sights?
Where are you have fuzziness at the sight or the target?
What distance?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Never had an issue with it. How long are you keeping your eye(s) open?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have astigmatism and managed to earn a distinguished pistol badge. Figure out which eye is dominantl and use it. Doesn't matter if you are cross dominant like rifle
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#4]
It's more of an annoyance. I'll have a good sight picture and then it goes blurry. R eye dominant. Yes I'm blinking. 15 yards. Standard 3 dot night sights. Both eyes open.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Red dots on pistols and rifles starburst.  
I have no problem with pistol sights looking crisp and clear.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's more of an annoyance. I'll have a good sight picture and then it goes blurry. R eye dominant. Yes I'm blinking. 15 yards. Standard 3 dot night sights. Both eyes open.
View Quote
Ever tried a FO front sight black rear?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ever tried a FO front sight black rear?
View Quote
lol that's what I was using today and my eyes were giving me hell.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Linky
View Quote
Lasik did not fix my astigmatism, but I don't have problems with iron sights.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#10]
It gotton worse with age. Everything will be clear and then all blurry.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It gotton worse with age. Everything will be clear and then all blurry.
View Quote
You could do like I did and have some asshole come and let loose 100+ rounds with an M2 right over your head.  My hearing went but I can see really well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a pair of glasses coming to help focus on pistol sights at daytime IDPA matches.

Lightly tinted sunglasses with a 1 diopter reading prescription in both eyes and astigmatism correction in right eye.

My regular prescription is 2 diopter for reading with the astigmatism correction.

I tried drug store 1 diopter readers at a match which made the sight picture perfect but hardly bothered target picture.

While competing you won't notice the edges of the targets are not sharp.

For $15 the drug store version showed me what was possible.

Fun experiment.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:56:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You could do like I did and have some asshole come and let loose 100+ rounds with an M2 right over your head.  My hearing went but I can see really well.
View Quote
Funny thing I am not deaf. Lol in a firefight you don't even hear all the noise. But I could hear the rounds cracking by my head. Has to be pretty deafening. BTW Magnified optics are not an issue at all.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:39:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Just a thought, go see an optometrist and get some glasses
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:27:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I was thinking lasik but the thought of someone burning my eyes sounds real enticing. You know it's only when I shoot with both eyes open. R eye goes haywire. Lol. I always qualified expert with M16/M4 and M9 pistol in the mil. Then it got to the point where I was always using ACOGs for rifles.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I have an astigmatism as well and struggle to get a hard front sight focus sometimes, especially in less than ideal lighting.  On a good day I can still manage 2-2.5" groups at 25 yards with a gun that is capable, but on a bad day the best I'll manage is 4-5".
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have an astigmatism as well and struggle to get a hard front sight focus sometimes, especially in less than ideal lighting.  On a good day I can still manage 2-2.5" groups at 25 yards with a gun that is capable, but on a bad day the best I'll manage is 4-5".
View Quote
Same here.

Using a red dot helps.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I have astigmatism and see the sights fine with my corrective lenses.  Additionally I have occupational trifocal lenses so I can see the sights in focus out of the top of my glasses lenses.  Occupational trifocals are normal bifocals on bottom as usual with distance vision above them and trifocals at the top of the lenses.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I have vision problems, lots of floaters, old corneas that don't adjust to distance well, etc. It's hard for my eyes to pick the sight picture pieces apart when front sight, rear sight, and target are all piled on top of each other.  But I shoot bullseye pretty well.

What I do is aim above the target at a clear sky background and get a good focus on the front sight and align my sight picture.  Then, as I lower the pistol, I keep my focus intently on the front sight keeping it focused.  It's work and wears my eye out to do it but it's effective.  An eye shade over the non-dominant eye helps.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#20]
First, get some current prescription glasses. That can really clean up the edges. I recently had a spare pair of glasses made, with a bifocal on the TOP of my dominate eye. With that, I can focus on the front sight or down range. I actually took a red gun into the Dr.'s office. He measured the distance to the front sight and made a correction for that distance.

Second, don't forget to breathe. Having your vision go in and out, and getting those weird moments where you can't focus, can be from holding your breath too long. Against conventional wisdom, I inhale, almost imperceptibly, during long strings of fire.

I have a pretty bad astigmatism myself and still managed to go double Distinguished in PPC. I've also made the President's Match a couple of times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top