Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:22:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I was a LEO for 30 years. For the life of me i can't figure out why anyone would want to open carry. From my experience, all i see is problems coming from it. But that's me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was a LEO for 30 years. For the life of me i can't figure out why anyone would want to open carry. From my experience, all i see is problems coming from it. But that's me.
View Quote
Ever think it could be because it is outside the social norm.  The more people OC the more it will become the social norm and less problems it will cause.  You are showing you have predetermined convictions on it.  

It will always carry the stigma as long as LEO react the same way and this thread is becoming full derp at near light speed.  The amount of information we have about the situation is very little from the OP who I am starting to think started this thread to troll the OC vs CC people.  End of the day people need to MYOB unless you are being effected by what someone else is doing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
What issues arose from you OCing for 30 years?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:31:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a woman openly carrying; anything about her carry, gun, or holster that offends?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nothing screams shoot me first in an ambush scenario than someone open carrying.
View Quote
That's exactly why I don't Open Carry. Not only that, but, you give up your tactical advantage over thugs that don't know that you're armed. As for the OP, I have to say, he started out complaining about the cheap holster (I don't buy anything cheap because you lose out on not only quality, but, reliability as well), but, then he went into a ridiculous tirade about the Desert Eagle and how much it weighs...... Oh, please. Enough with all the whining and whimpering about a little weight. If all you can handle is a 1 oz, .25 auto Raven Arms POS, fine. But, stop ragging on people that want to carry a real weapon instead of a pea shooter.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In an AMBUSH scenario that would be the case, but in the real world get some facts.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing screams shoot me first in an ambush scenario than someone open carrying.
In an AMBUSH scenario that would be the case, but in the real world get some facts.  
Get some logic. If I was a thug and planning to commit a car jacking, or a bank robbery, or a restaurant robbery, I would be looking at all the possible threats around the location where I was going to commit the crime before I committed that crime. It's called assessing the scene and there are many smart criminals that do that as well as employ tactics in their endeavors. If I saw anyone armed, those are the ones that I would immediately neutralize before doing anything else. It's total ignorance or worse if you believe that real world criminals would not do this.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  Get some logic. If I was a thug and planning to commit a car jacking, or a bank robbery, or a restaurant robbery, I would be looking at all the possible threats around the location where I was going to commit the crime before I committed that crime. It's called assessing the scene and there are many smart criminals that do that as well as employ tactics in their endeavors. If I saw anyone armed, those are the ones that I would immediately neutralize before doing anything else. It's total ignorance or worse if you believe that real world criminals would not do this.
View Quote
Perhaps.  Or you might just decide to go look for a Stop 'n Rob that doesn't have someone obviously versed in gunplay in it.  B/c uniformed cops open carry, and criminals always shoot them in the head before knocking over the liquor store.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Get some logic. If I was a thug and planning to commit a car jacking, or a bank robbery, or a restaurant robbery, I would be looking at all the possible threats around the location where I was going to commit the crime before I committed that crime. It's called assessing the scene and there are many smart criminals that do that as well as employ tactics in their endeavors. If I saw anyone armed, those are the ones that I would immediately neutralize before doing anything else. It's total ignorance or worse if you believe that real world criminals would not do this.
View Quote
Have you ever watched videos of robberies unfold most times the bad guy is hyper focused on one objective.  Many times the person carrying gets the drop on said bad guy.  Most people are not observant enough they develop tunnel vision focused on the get in get the loot and get out.  Plus if you are armed are you just going to stand there or start maneuvering to get into better position and taking up a fighting stance.

How much combat or how many shoot outs have you been in?

Sometimes just the display of power is enough to deter the bad guy from acting and moving on to a easier target.  Same reason you do not walk around looking like you are the guy to jump out of a crowd.  The harder target is usually the target that gets passed up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well I guess if your unlucky enough to be in a 7/11 in the unlikely event seal team 6 decided to rob it then sure your done. Anybody want to make an argument of which bank robbers enter first? Bank "A" has 20 people in it. No guns visible. Bank "B" has 20 people as well but 4 patrons are open carrying. Your welcome to substitute 7/11 or cvs or Burger King for bank if that makes you happy.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ever think it could be because it is outside the social norm.  The more people OC the more it will become the social norm and less problems it will cause.  You are showing you have predetermined convictions on it.  
View Quote
Sorry, but I don't think OC will ever become a social norm.  
My problem with open carry is the people that do it (at least where i'm at). They're like the vegans of the gun world. First, they're almost always carrying some shit firearm in some equally shit holster, like an uncle mikes with a nylon thumb snap covering up their taurus pt 24/7 compact with the extended mag in it. Second, they want SO BADLY for someone to call them out on it so they can sit there and grandstand about how it's their right and it needs to be exercised blah blah blah. No one is receptive to that shit.
Here's a joke for you:  How can you tell someone is a vegan? You don't have to, they'll tell you.
If I pass by a vegan in the deli of Safeyway how would I ever know unless they're just laying in wait for me to pick out a tasty steak just so they can ambush me to tell me how i'm putting murder in my graveyard of a stomach.

I feel the same way about people who OC. Do not engage cause if I do i'm just gonna have to listen to them tell me about how they open carry a Ruger LCP on hikes for protection against the other hikers.

I conceal carry every day, and have for the last, oh god, 11 years. I work in a professional environment, and I interact with customers at their places of business. No one ever knows I'm carrying, and that's great cause it's not important to what i'm doing. They don't need to know that I'm wearing underwear, or what kind it is do they? What benefit do I get from OC in my day to day life?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I honestly feel like people who open carry do it for the powerful feeling a gun gives them.  If you have no other option, go for it, but if you have the ability to conceal and you choose not to, .  I'll carry a G17 and not worry about printing but i do my best to conceal the tool that i feel gives me the best chance of sufficiently protecting myself.  I think everyone saw how blatant open carry helped out at starbucks .  Kinda had the opposite effect of making it "socially acceptable", didn't it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted: I honestly feel like people who open carry do it for the powerful feeling a gun gives them.
View All Quotes
Quoted: I honestly feel like people who open carry do it for the powerful feeling a gun gives them.
Quoted: I honestly feel like people who conceal carry do it for the powerful feeling a gun gives them.
See how that works?  
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:04:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My problem with open carry is the people that do it (at least where i'm at). They're like the vegans of the gun world. First, they're almost always carrying some shit firearm in some equally shit holster, like an uncle mikes with a nylon thumb snap covering up their taurus pt 24/7 compact with the extended mag in it. Second, they want SO BADLY for someone to call them out on it so they can sit there and grandstand about how it's their right and it needs to be exercised blah blah blah. No one is receptive to that shit.
Here's a joke for you:  How can you tell someone is a vegan? You don't have to, they'll tell you.
If I pass by a vegan in the deli of Safeyway how would I ever know unless they're just laying in wait for me to pick out a tasty steak just so they can ambush me to tell me how i'm putting murder in my graveyard of a stomach.

I feel the same way about people who OC. Do not engage cause if I do i'm just gonna have to listen to them tell me about how they open carry a Ruger LCP on hikes for protection against the other hikers.

I conceal carry every day, and have for the last, oh god, 11 years. I work in a professional environment, and I interact with customers at their places of business. No one ever knows I'm carrying, and that's great cause it's not important to what i'm doing. They don't need to know that I'm wearing underwear, or what kind it is do they? What benefit do I get from OC in my day to day life?
View Quote
 maybe you live in some urban area where people are freaked out by guns, but I can tell you it is very normal here to see open carried handguns on the trails, in stores, around town...just kinda whatever really.  Relax man let people do what they want...i do from time to time, and tbh nobody notices or gives a shit...the only people that do are so called gun guys
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I CC myself but I do like to play devils advocate often just because it seems everyone is so quick to draw lines in the sand so I argue from the other side.  It makes you a better debater to see things from other peoples perspective like the OC crowd I have no problem with them as long as they do not bother me.  I get annoyed when I see guys OCing rifle one a low ready position or their hands all over their firearm.  These are the FUDDS that mess things up for everybody and why OC has a stigma.  I do OC occasionally usually when i am fishing, hunting, have to run into walmart while fishing and hunting but I usually throw my shirt over and just have a bulge as I hate attention I like being left alone, long drives where CC is uncomfortable after awhile, but normal day to day I carry IWB or on occasion OWB with my shirt still over because again attention I do not want.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I will also say as someone who works with criminals every day, they ones you are worried about knocking over a gas station are not intelligent at all, and probably couldn't even tell if someone had a rifle in the store.  They look for a cop car then hit the place
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm generally not a fan of it (in the city) but I do open carry when pumping gas for a little quicker access, and so beggers won't approach me in as threatening a manner. I guess that's the only time I do it when not hunting though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I CC myself but I do like to play devils advocate often just because it seems everyone is so quick to draw lines in the sand so I argue from the other side.  It makes you a better debater to see things from other peoples perspective like the OC crowd I have no problem with them as long as they do not bother me.  I get annoyed when I see guys OCing rifle one a low ready position or their hands all over their firearm.  These are the FUDDS that mess things up for everybody and why OC has a stigma.  I do OC occasionally usually when i am fishing, hunting, have to run into walmart while fishing and hunting but I usually throw my shirt over and just have a bulge as I hate attention I like being left alone, long drives where CC is uncomfortable after awhile, but normal day to day I carry IWB or on occasion OWB with my shirt still over because again attention I do not want.
View Quote
Regarding the bulge, have you ever considered the additional risk of attracting homosexuals who think you may have that bulge because you looked them in the eyes?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:  I honestly feel like people who open carry do it for the powerful feeling a gun gives them.  If you have no other option, go for it, but if you have the ability to conceal and you choose not to, .  I'll carry a G17 and not worry about printing but i do my best to conceal the tool that i feel gives me the best chance of sufficiently protecting myself.  I think everyone saw how blatant open carry helped out at starbucks .  Kinda had the opposite effect of making it "socially acceptable", didn't it?
View Quote
This is ARFCOM.  Get both.  If you OC, CC.  I suggest your CC be your primary.  Everyone, including ARFCOMers, will be so focused on your OC they'll never notice you're CCing.  Someone will then post about some idiot OCing a rinky dink .380" in an Uncle Mike's, and never pay attention to your 17 bulge.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Regarding the bulge, have you ever considered the additional risk of attracting homosexuals who think you may have that bulge because you looked them in the eyes?
View Quote
It is a G17 or P-09 so it would be a big bulge they might not be into that.  If they are God help them...  secondly that would make me very disfigured the bulge not being in the right place.  I only worry if they put their hand on my bulge because their are three thing you never touch my beer, my lady, and my gun(that can go both ways).
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:52:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here's a woman openly carrying; anything about her carry, gun, or holster that offends?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171243/TPD-305020.JPG
View Quote
Is this about Appendix carrying should only be done with an IWB holster?

Perhaps the TPD's PIO Loretta Cool actually does AIWB most of the time, but changes to OWB in the same location for stuff like press events,
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I will also say as someone who works with criminals every day, they ones you are worried about knocking over a gas station are not intelligent at all, and probably couldn't even tell if someone had a rifle in the store.  They look for a cop car then hit the place
View Quote
This. This idea that criminals are scouting targets and making hit lists is just pure derp.

They are so focused on the prize they don't ever see the other guy about to take them out. Their SA is next to zero. If you want to CC then fine, CC. If you want to OC then fine, OC. Seriously who gives a fuck what someone else is doing with their personal property. Bunch of old maids in here concerned with what other people do.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:59:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Why is this in a tech forum?

Do ya'll go into the religious forum and discuss abortion too?

Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why is this in a tech forum?

Do ya'll go into the religious forum and discuss abortion too?

View Quote
They do this once a month or so to get the Never-TrumpersOCers panties in a knot.

Their is a time and place for everything and that time and place is up to the individual.  As the gun community we should not freak out every time Joe Shmo carries something we do not like.  

Some on here remind me of this.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Is this about Appendix carrying should only be done with an IWB holster?

Perhaps the TPD's PIO Loretta Cool actually does AIWB most of the time, but changes to OWB in the same location for stuff like press events,
View Quote
lol I knew someone from WA would get it.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I guess, it's true.........

Haters Gonna Hate.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They do this once a month or so to get the Never-TrumpersOCers panties in a knot.

Their is a time and place for everything and that time and place is up to the individual.  As the gun community we should not freak out every time Joe Shmo carries something we do not like.  

Some on here remind me of this.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/127189/stop_liking-306345.JPG
View Quote
That gives me an excellent idea lol I'll have to post some pics this weekend :)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top