Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2017 10:20:10 PM EDT
I have a Sig Mosquito.  Never fired it.  Was thinking of selling it, but just tonight realized that they are no longer made.

Are these guns any good?  Why were they discontinued?

Thanks for any replies.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#1]
No clue why discontinued other than a lot of other .22lr pistols on the market. I wouldn't mind having one just for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#2]
They are hit and miss with reliability. Mine runs good with most ammo with or without a can
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#3]
finiky with ammo, some work, some don't
small in the hand so it's not as fun.
no more spare parts for when it breaks
no holsters for it on the market any more

sell it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:55:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe they are still made, just not labeled as Sig.

Mine is accurate, but only reliable with cci.

Blazers and other bulk gives me about 1 failure for every 20-30 rds. Still a fun gun that I enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:59:12 AM EDT
[#5]

They're now made by ATI/GSG. I think they always were actually. They are finicky. I've never really had issues with mine, unless it needs to be cleaned or I was running bad ammo through it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:33:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah they were always made by GSG, like the 1911-22s that SIG branded for a while.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:32:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I had to detail strip the slide, ultrasonic clean it all, polish every moving part and contact surface, lightly hone the chamber, clean up the damage from the previous owner's dry-firing, and use some dry moly lube to get mine to run reliably without one or more of the following occurring on about every other round:

- Failure to extract
- Light primer strike in SA
- Stovepipe
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:22:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Owned 2 of them, 1 was used the other new. Both them ran 100% with Remington
golden bullets, shot a shit ton of ammo through them, with or without can.
sold them both later and made money on both.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Owned 2 of them, 1 was used the other new. Both them ran 100% with Remington
golden bullets, shot a shit ton of ammo through them, with or without can.
sold them both later and made money on both.
View Quote
If you don't mind me asking, what did you sell them for?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had to detail strip the slide, ultrasonic clean it all, polish every moving part and contact surface, lightly hone the chamber, clean up the damage from the previous owner's dry-firing, and use some dry moly lube to get mine to run reliably without one or more of the following occurring on about every other round:

- Failure to extract
- Stovepipe
View Quote
This is basically my experience.  A friend gave me his to get it running.  The slide was dragging against the frame enough that it made it an unreliable pig.   After I put some clearance between the parts, it ran better.  I still wouldn't own one: I have no interest in a miniature P-series SIG, the slide safety is dildos, and the construction in general is cheap.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Never made by Sig. Made by GSG. Sig just slapped their name on them. GSG still makes them as the Firefly. Regardless of what you hear, Sig took their name off because these guns are poorly made and had lots of returns. Sig didn't want their name on a problem.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#12]
The are not generally well regarded.

Mine would not run a full mag without malfunctions, out of the box. After a round trip back to SIG, it ran 36gr. CCI Mini-Mags 99% but NOTHING else.

It is a cheaply made pistol made from cheap materials that SIG whored it's name with.

Hard to sell used and when they do, they don't go for much.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I regret buying mine.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I should add, I bought it because I was desperate (at the time) for a .22LR pistol, in 2008.  I did not know about the reputation it had.  I'm stuck with it now, basically.  That's why I put the effort into finally fixing it earlier this year.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Next Sig will take their name off the 320!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I had one. It was VERY finicky with ammo. I had to use a light recoil spring and the hottest ammo I could find to get it to work right.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Picky with ammo.  GSG still makes them under a different name I think.   I'm not sure Sig ever actually made them.

I would sell it and get an M&P 22 Compact if you want a 22 handgun.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought one for my dad before they discontinued it.

Great little fun pistol.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd rather have a Trailside, but they were never common around here to begin with and I'm not likely to run across one.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:58:24 AM EDT
[#20]
A buddy of mine has one and it won't run without a can on it. Even then it's still finicky.

My suggestion is to skip the Sig and get a m&p 22c.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:08:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Mine was only good for practicing malfunction drills.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Both of my M&P22c's will run anything with almost 100% reliability, suppressed or unsuppressed.

Save yourself the trouble and get that instead.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Mine runs great.  Recoil springs are a little stiff, leaving the slide locked back for a while helps break it in.

GSG still makes the gun as the firefly.  Biggest negative was that mags used to be pretty expensive but they have gotten much cheaper.

I believe the importation ban placed on Sig by the German govt. is why Sig discontinued them.  However, I don't think Sig cared much by then given the reputation.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mine was only good for practicing malfunction drills.
View Quote
This has been my experience.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#25]
As best as I can recall anyone I knew that had one said they didn't do well with bulk ammo. The new mp 22 and of course any ruger I still hear nothing but good things
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Total POS. Mine went back to Sig twice, and will still only run (per Sig) CCI Mini Mags. They claim there is nothing wrong with it, even though it will only sometimes shoot one brand/type of ammo. Couldn't have been more disappointed with Sig's Customer Service, they treated me like a dumb kid with his first gun...........I can't even bring myself to sell that hunk of shit, I don't want to stick someone else with it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's exactly why, along with the SIG 1911 .22s; these GSG manufactured SIG Mosquito pistols  are no longer being imported from Germany with the SIG brand on them.

Due to the sale of handguns to the United States Government which were subsequently transferred to the Columbian Government; Germany has prohibited SIG from exporting any and all SIGs from  Germany into the United States.

This ban on exports includes P210 Legend,  X-5 and X-6 pistols from the SIG Master Shop as well.

That's why they are no longer being made available with the SIG name on them although they can still be found under the GSG brand of their actual manufacturer.

German Sports Guns isn't affected by the export ban.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine will only eat cci mini mags or velocitors. Makes it kinda pricy to plink. Wish I'd have gotten a ruger MKIII
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Hit or miss on reliability. Mostly miss.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#30]
They had a poor reputation for reliability and longevity  and it was mostly earned.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Both of my M&P22c's will run anything with almost 100% reliability, suppressed or unsuppressed.

Save yourself the trouble and get that instead.
View Quote
Same with mine eats anything, cci, federal, blazer, winchester
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
- Failure to extract
- Stovepipe
View Quote
That describes my experience as well. It seems like the extractor spring is incredible weak, as it routinely leaves spent casings in the chamber. I have to shoot hotter ammunition to get it to cycle reliably, and even then it will exhibit one of the above issues about every ten rounds. Really disappointing, as I bought it (barely used) to help myself and others train on a platform that mimicked the function of the Sig pistols that I favored at the time (which is how it was advertised). The reliability problems are too much of a distraction to bother shooting it. I considered sending it back to Sig to see if they could do anything with it, but I never got around to it. I'd honestly be happy to have it destroyed rather than passing it on to someone else, to make sure that it doesn't cause someone else problems.
Top Top