User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Edit double tap
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I would carry the m11 but I understand not wanting to mess it up, the glock 19 is great less expensive choice, that said the cz will more closely match the grip angle of the m11 if that is something you shoot more often. BTW copper custom has police trade in glock 17s that look like they are in good condition
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my g19. It is the only gun that I have never sold!
In your situation, I agree that full size may be a better choice. I have quite a few, you may want to think about the g20.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#4]
For true utility use you could go a couple ways..

- 22lr semi or revolver.  S&W 63 or 18.  Ruger semi.  

- 357 revolver.  Single action or double.  When you want to dispatch a snake a shotshell is the way to go.

Seems unlikely that a local band of meth users will be attacking you while you're doing your chores so hi cap 9mm's would not be on my list.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#5]
S&W 69
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:30:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For true utility use you could go a couple ways..

- 22lr semi or revolver.  S&W 63 or 18.  Ruger semi.  

- 357 revolver.  Single action or double.  When you want to dispatch a snake a shotshell is the way to go.

Seems unlikely that a local band of meth users will be attacking you while you're doing your chores so hi cap 9mm's would not be on my list.
View Quote
No but we do run a retail store on the farm and have as many as 100 customers at the store during the Christmas holidays.  I am mainly looking at a smaller decent capacity polymer handgun that is either striker or hammer fired for the reasons I have listed.  I'm not hung up on caliber but about the only thing we have around here to deal with animal wise is coyotes.

I have tried a G20 in the past but trying to hook up implements on tractors, or having to climb under equipment, I would just prefer something a little smaller.

We do unfortunately have a lot of crime in the area due to the heroin problem and it's inching out from Greensboro and High Point.

I am probably going to go back with the Glock 19 and just take the dremel to the grip.  It served me well for several years.  

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I really like the P-07 but the price of mags has deterred me from going that route.  I always pick up 10 and that would run me close to $400 just in mags.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Glock 20. What size critters you worried about encountering? I hear ManBearPig can be a tough mofo. He just might laugh/growl/snort at anything less than a large frame handgun.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#8]
4" 357 revolver (S&W 686 or Ruger KGP141).
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:30:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Since you mentioned trying the G20 and wanting something a bit smaller, perhaps a Gen 4 G29?  10mm is a sweet round and the Hornady factory custom 180gr XTPs would be a good 2-legged and light skinned 4-leg round with some Underwood 220 gr for a full dose option.  

About the size of a G19 with a pretty versatile, utilitarian round.  Of course, the G19 is practically always a winner, easier/cheaper to shoot, if being used solely for 2-legged defense.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:33:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Ahh..would help if I read something other than thread title.  So, not a farm gun in the traditional sense but something for an outdoor retail operation.  Seems like your real problem will be an overall rig that will be safe as you handle Christmas trees yet accessible.  Holster choice will take some consideration while pretty much any current 9mm would do.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:52:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Which would you pick for a OC farm carry gun?
View Quote
Out on the farm, and especially in those remote fields of the back-forty, the right OC gun will be one that's chambered for a cartridge capable of putting down (incapacitating)  anything from a rampaging cock-rooster to a stampeding bull or pissed-off steer, or possibly an overly-aggressive horse. In other words, up to and including big, heavy-boned animals with hooves, horns, and teeth  ...

It might also be needed to dispatch the occasional coyote, rogue hog or wild dog (or possibly a pack of feral hogs/dogs, -  hence, a semi-auto is indicated),  or even some trespassing Meth Heads.  

Anything can happen out on the farm ...

So clearly, an OC farm gun needs to be one that's chambered for the 10mm AUTO, loaded hot and heavy. E.g., 200gns @ 1270fps.

Now that's a "farm duty" load.

You can thank me later.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I guess I should have put this in the original post.  I used to carry a G20.  But due to climbing between tractors and implements to hook up, getting under equipment and such I found the full size grip digging into me or catching on something I was trying to get around. * * *
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're going to open carry, there's no reason not to carry a full size pistol.
I guess I should have put this in the original post.  I used to carry a G20.  But due to climbing between tractors and implements to hook up, getting under equipment and such I found the full size grip digging into me or catching on something I was trying to get around. * * *
The problem wasn't the G20, it was your carry method.

OC requires you to think through the sorts of activities you'll be doing daily while carrying a gun. All the twisting, turning, climbing and getting up, in, and out of vehicles is almost exactly what Alaskan folks, especially guides, describe when hiking, camping, getting in and out of bush planes, fishing boats, and ATVs, ... or otherwise working on various tasks outdoors where they need a gun for protection that's immediately accessible.

Many of them OC full-size semi-autos & big-bore revolvers in a center chest holster. There's the AGH model that's made there in Alaska. Then there's Galco's version, called the Great Alaskan chest holster. Another company makes a Kydex version, called the Kanai.

These CCHs can be tighten to fit like a glove, hold the gun secure and not flop around, while leaving your hands free to do whatever. Not to mention, unlike a hip-holster, a chest holster leaves your waist, sides, and hips snag-free.

Something to think about ...
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#13]
My farm walk around pistol is a g20 in a chest holster .
Gun rack on the tractor for 45-70 etc
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#14]
You need a Glock 34 MOS with an RMR
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Glock 17

147gt XTP +P
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#16]
4" Redhawk, .357, .44, .45.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
"...dropped in the mud (320 is out)..."

Actually it's just hard surfaces that 320's don't work well with; mud is soft and squishy so it'll do just fine.....
View Quote
So I make a non troll factual post and I get an account warning, but this explicit troll post is cool because it's against the Sig???
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:46:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So I make a non troll factual post and I get an account warning, but this explicit troll post is cool because it's against the Sig???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"...dropped in the mud (320 is out)..."

Actually it's just hard surfaces that 320's don't work well with; mud is soft and squishy so it'll do just fine.....
By factual you mean wrong on every single account?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:50:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
4" Redhawk, .357, .44, .45.
View Quote
My 4" .45 Redhawk is a kick ass gun. I've nailed 2 running rabbits at close range once with it.

It's weight really soaks up my heavy loads. 335 grain bullets at 1300fps.

I'm not sure that's what I would recommend the op if he's concerned with meth heads. Heavy, low capacity, and speed loaders are awkward to carry when doing manual labor.

Great woods guns though
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you saying Caniks are drop safe?

For an around the tree farm pistol, just about any medium sized modern semi should suit you fine.  Pick whichever you like and feel comfortable with.  I'd personally go with the P320 as I think it's the finest modern semi auto pistol out there.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
9mm at the least.  A couple of weeks ago when I was towing a bailer, a badger took exception to either the vibration, noise or maybe because it was Wednesday and came out of his burrow.

I wasn't armed, luckily that old JD can move in 6th speed when it has to, for second cutting I'll be packing the 19.
View Quote
Only one cutting so far? Alfalfa, I assume.  How many cuttings do you usually get per year?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#22]
What's the point of having two of the same gun if you don't use them? I understand wanting to keep your guns decent and taking care of the things you work hard for but personally I think it's way cooler to pass down something to your kids you used every day.

I have my grandfather's old carry revolver that he carried every day. It's rusted, pitted, grips are cracked, and has about a 20lbs double action trigger but damn do I love that thing.

Use what you already have. It's just finish wear and adds character. It would be one thing if it was a custom 1911 or a rare gun but its a production sig man. They are a dime a dozen (well a lot of dimes because people pay way too much for them new.) Keep the other one pristine.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

For an around the tree farm pistol, just about any medium sized modern semi should suit you fine.  Pick whichever you like and feel comfortable with.  I'd personally go with the P320 as I think it's the finest modern semi auto pistol out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought you were referring to all your comments about the 320 that are blatently false.

In terms of the canik. I don't know. Post a few videos. If the videos show it discharging will you say it's no big deal?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#24]
You need a handgun that is ultra reliable if you're doing a lot of dirty works on the farm. Most modern firearms are ultra reliable as long as you don't get outside filth inside them. Almost all handguns don't seal well against outside elements. Two model of pistols sealed well against the elements are cz da/sa (inverted rail/slide is what they called it?) and rex zero handgun.

You can see how well a handgun seal by shinning a flash light through where the slide and frame meet. I recommend cz-p09 or rex zero full size if you're doing a lot of dirty works on the farm.

Luger sealed so well against the outside elements it passed inrange mud test without a malfunction.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z_IeAaR5AmU

Glock did poorly for the same reasons as most modern handguns. Filths in this case mud got into the gun from opening between the slide and frame.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RNw179rHxkQg
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#25]
voted g19
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#26]
From your choices, the P07.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:35:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You need a handgun that is ultra reliable if you're doing a lot of dirty works on the farm. Most modern firearms are ultra reliable as long as you don't get outside filth inside them. Almost all handguns don't seal well against outside elements. Two model of pistols sealed well against the elements are cz da/sa (inverted rail/slide is what they called it?) and rex zero handgun.

You can see how well a handgun seal by shinning a flash light through where the slide and frame meet. I recommend cz-p09 or rex zero full size if you're doing a lot of dirty works on the farm.

Luger sealed so well against the outside elements it passed inrange mud test without a malfunction.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z_IeAaR5AmU

Glock did poorly for the same reasons as most modern handguns. Filths in this case mud got into the gun from opening between the slide and frame.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RNw179rHxkQg
View Quote
Now I'm in a dry climate but I have been carrying Glocks in the worst conditions including mud and have never had a malfunction.
I do clean it at least once a year or every 500rds whichever comes first.
My BHPs have been GTG as well. My 1911s needed weekly cleaning to stay reliable. I love my 1911s and wear them to town but not working.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#28]
G20 or G21
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#30]
G21
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Now I'm in a dry climate but I have been carrying Glocks in the worst conditions including mud and have never had a malfunction.
I do clean it at least once a year or every 500rds whichever comes first.
My BHPs have been GTG as well. My 1911s needed weekly cleaning to stay reliable. I love my 1911s and wear them to town but not working.
View Quote
As long as you keep outside filth from entering the handgun your pistol will function as you would expected. When filth enter inside any firearms than all bets are off. MAC many reliability videos reinforce this.

Rex Zero vs sig 226 legion

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LuPOqDlaX6U

Glock

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MYUz5jahjFs
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Six months ago I sold my Glock 19 to pick up a used M11-A1 at a great price.   I really need to replace my G19 but I'm not sure with what.  I like striker fired, but also DA/SA.  Not opposed to either.  I have several Sigs, CZ's, Beretta's, and a couple of full sized Glocks.  

I am looking for something I can OC around the farm and not worry about the finish getting messed up, dropped in the mud (320 is out), stuffed full of hay or Christmas tree sap.  My G19 did great for those jobs but if I get another I will need to undercut the frame.  My hand does not fit the grooves.  

We run a Christmas Tree retail farm and security for the cash box is part of my responsibility.  So when you are thinking farm gun, I really need something more than a revolver.  Unfortunately the "hood" is getting closer everyday.

Looking at either another G19, the CZ-P07, or the CZ-P10C.   Last week I scored another M11-A1 at Ganders going out of business sale, but I really hate to mess up such a fine looking firearm.  I hope to pass these down to my sons one day.

View Quote

We went from G17 long slides to 5-7's [you mentioned 'security'], about 8 years or so ago. Carry constantly, my SO is in the woods somewhere with the animals w/ hers.

Always go bang -the Glocks didn't, long range/flat shooting, accurate, light weight -important for us, lots of firepower, ammo plentyful...

Very satisfied.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#33]
G21
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#34]
OR......

SAA in 45 Colt  
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:37:29 AM EDT
[#35]
So did OP buy anything?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

We went from G17 long slides to 5-7's [you mentioned 'security'], about 8 years or so ago. Carry constantly, my SO is in the woods somewhere with the animals w/ hers.

Always go bang -the Glocks didn't, long range/flat shooting, accurate, light weight -important for us, lots of firepower, ammo plentyful...

Very satisfied.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Six months ago I sold my Glock 19 to pick up a used M11-A1 at a great price.   I really need to replace my G19 but I'm not sure with what.  I like striker fired, but also DA/SA.  Not opposed to either.  I have several Sigs, CZ's, Beretta's, and a couple of full sized Glocks.  

I am looking for something I can OC around the farm and not worry about the finish getting messed up, dropped in the mud (320 is out), stuffed full of hay or Christmas tree sap.  My G19 did great for those jobs but if I get another I will need to undercut the frame.  My hand does not fit the grooves.  

We run a Christmas Tree retail farm and security for the cash box is part of my responsibility.  So when you are thinking farm gun, I really need something more than a revolver.  Unfortunately the "hood" is getting closer everyday.

Looking at either another G19, the CZ-P07, or the CZ-P10C.   Last week I scored another M11-A1 at Ganders going out of business sale, but I really hate to mess up such a fine looking firearm.  I hope to pass these down to my sons one day.

Very satisfied.
EXPY you like the 5-7 over the 17L?
You have bears to contend with, don't you?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

EXPY you like the 5-7 over the 17L?
You have bears to contend with, don't you?
View Quote
Yes...

VERY good reasons...
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#38]
We always have our whistles...

Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#39]
S&W or Ruger 4-5.5" magnum revolver

some  JHP,  some SWC, and some snake shot rounds

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
Interesting
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Interesting
View Quote
You didn't see the thread in SF?  I forgot to bump it....

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/-/17-684069/&page=1
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I read in another thread today that the Gen 5 Glocks without the finger grooves are hitting the LGS. Just an FYI....
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So did OP buy anything?
View Quote
I'm waiting on a Blue label G-19 Gen 5 to show up at my dealer.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting

Interesting! I started a new business last year and haven't spent as much time on arf.
I had been considering converting a Glock 35 to 357 sig so as to play with Underwoods 65 Grain Xtreme Defender.
I don't know what barrel length they get 2100 fps with but a 5.5-6'' barrel on the 35 I would hope to bump that up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd go with the 19, it's my farm carry now. I carried a 22 for 15 yrs at the farm until I went 9mm for most all my autos. It's hard to beat the ruggedness of a Glock. That being said, I covet a p10c and will have one soon.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Something in Stainless Steel.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Sounds like a perfect job for a 1911.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#48]
My family had a ranch in SW Texas from the 80s to the mid 2000s. I remember as a kid my Dad always had a Ruger Single action six in 357 on him. In 89 I bought a SKS at a gun show in Del Rio it had a Choate Monte Carlo stock on it, I took a cheap soft gun case and had some leather straps with buckles sewn on to it to carry it on the tractor and dozer. I tell you after about three years of use, mowing and bull dozing it had zero finish on it but it went Bang every time you pulled the trigger. I've killed many a coyote and other critters with it. Now when I go out to my place I carry a Glock 19 gen 3 in a Galco leather thumb break belt holster and an AR in the truck. I still miss the old SKS for sure.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Carry my shooter  6" nickle Python or my Glock 19
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#50]
HK P30
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top