Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2017 9:01:53 PM EDT
I recently started carrying a TLR-1 on my EDC pistol and had some trouble finding a IWB holster. I have been doing IWB since I got my CCW license 5 years ago. I ended up purchasing a Crossbreed Light Defender series holster that cost me $125 with rush processing.

I also wanted to update my OWB holster used for 3 gun to one that would hold the light, so I purchased a Bravo Concelment BCA light bearing OWB kydex holster with the intention of only using it for matches. Well just for giggles I put my OWB holster on my normal clothes, wore it out into town one day and instantly fell in love with OWB carry. I had my IWB holster for about 2 weeks before i made the switch.

Here are some things I am noticing about OWB carry -

Advantages over IWB:

Your belt stays on your hips better - My IWB holster was always moving even with good gun belts so I was constantly pulling my pants up. Just having the flat leather IWB inside your belt "shimmed" the curve of your hip and makes it slip more than OWB. With OWB it hardly moves and even if if does, we are talking maybe a quarter inch.

It doesn't wear a hole in my pants - All of my pants eventually get a hole in them where the muzzle end of the pistol is with IWB.

I don't need bigger pants - this makes me not look like MC Hammer because I can buy pants my normal size.

Disadvantages over IWB:

Prints more - because the gun is not a tightly snug against you it will print a little more. I have, however, started to care less about printing in the last year as I have realized that most people are so wrapped up in their own business that they wouldn't even noticed if I was open carrying.

Your holster gets exposed more. Some of my opinion in the previous point applies, but I am also compensating by being more aware of who is around if I have to reach to the top shelf in the store. It is also a concern when sitting as your shirt can ride up so I need to be more conscious when sitting.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I've come to the same conclusion. I carry a Glock 17 in a Raven Phantom. A better firing grip is more important to me than less printing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't even care one bit if I print.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#3]
My coworker is an FFL and we have guns laying around our office openly on desks. I don't care about printing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:10:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't even care one bit if I print.
View Quote
This!
I switched to OWB years ago and never looked back. IWB sucks and I now use those holsters for pocket carry.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:49:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I like OWB myself but carry at work IWB.  I carry mostly at work so most of my carrying is done IWB.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:10:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I loathe IWB carry for all the reasons you mentioned.  OWB in a kydex pancake with speedclips FTW.  No threading a belt, good weight dispersion, and pretty darn flat profile too.  My chosen method.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I did the same thing until I found a badass appendix holster.  With appendix I don't need to buy larger pants, it's comfortable and conceals well.  For the past two months I've been carrying a P226 with jeans, shorts in 90 degree weather, etc.  I've found carry nirvana.

Edit to add:  It's nice carrying a gun I would be comfortable fighting with.  I don't even use my G43 or PPk anymore.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Switched to OWB long ago because I am a pear shape now.  Far more comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I have enough trouble just getting me inside a waist band.  Never even considered IWB carry.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Stealthgear "Flex" with my Shield is pretty tight ...and high against my side.
A single stack OWB should be almost as easy to make disappear as IWB
I carry IWB all summer around here but once I can start wearing sweat shirts or jackets again
it's OWB.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#12]
How do you like the light defender? I've been eyeballing those for a while now waiting for other light and gun options to come out but can find much feedback on them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:14:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How do you like the light defender? I've been eyeballing those for a while now waiting for other light and gun options to come out but can find much feedback on them.
View Quote
It is a pretty high quality holster. The only draw back other than it being IWB is that it can be difficult to holster with a TLR because of a 90° edge on the front of the light catches on the kydex. I hit the kydex with a lighter and gave it just tiny bevel out so it would holster easier.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#14]
G26 in a Glock sport holster, S&W 342 in a JIT, and now a G43 in a Bladetech convertible.

Yeah!  

I never even carried IWB until I got the Glock 43.
That works well too.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I went the other way.  I went from CCing in a pancake looking OWB Kydex holster from Fury Concealment (very similar to most others out there) with my G17 w/TLR1 and found it to be uncomfortable and not very concealing at all.  I wound up going to a IWB holster that has worked great but I lost the ability to mount my TLR1.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:30:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I only carry OWB, and usually in a leather holster.

I have an affinity for Ryan Grizzle holsters. I also like TT Gunleather and Horseshoe Gun Leather.

I did order a Nelson holster a couple of weeks ago, I'll see how I like it when it comes in.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#17]
>>I loathe IWB carry for all the reasons you mentioned<<

Ditto that!
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#18]
been saying this for years...  easy to make something like a G26 or G43 disappear without much effort when OWB.   As long as the holster is black, if it peaks out people will assume its a phone or something else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top