Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2017 7:39:35 PM EDT
Im aware theres forums on this but they're filled with nonsense and arguments on trigger weight. Im looking at the FN509 or the Glock 17 Gen4 and can't find any definitive pros or cons between the two. I prefer the 509's grip just a tad more than Glock but doesn't make much difference, Im primarily concerned with quality and long term reliability between the two. Are there any problems people have experience or would it serve nicely as a simple range firearm? Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been shooting Glocks for going on 30 years. My go to guns are a pair of 17 Gen 4s. Other guns catch my attention sometimes, but the reality is that they won't do the job any better. For me, it's about reliability, ease of maintenance, and cheap and readily available mags and parts. Not to mention the 509 is unproven at this point.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#2]
do you run the Glock Pmags or have knowledge of how they perform?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I haven't tried them or the ETS mags as I'm so deep in OEM mags. A few people have had minor issues, but most seem to like them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#4]
If the choice is one versus the other I'd have to go with the Glock based on its long baseline of data for reliability etc... And the abundance of parts and options available, there are simply more choices available in everything from sights, magazines and triggers on up. Glock Customer Service is generally highly rated as well. All that said, I do really like the 509 and I'm tempted to add one to my safe. I wouldn't buy one to replace a pistol though. 
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I haven't tried them or the ETS mags as I'm so deep in OEM mags. A few people have had minor issues, but most seem to like them.
View Quote
I have a couple of both but most of mine are OEM had not problems with any.

I vote the Glock of your choices.  The 509 really did not do anything for me and trigger was kind of heavy.  The Glock is cheaper to modify,  mags are cheaper by far, accessories are very abundant and over all aftermarket choices are much more vast.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#6]
G17 gen 4.  It has a proven track record.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:14:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the Glock with front cocking serrations. They offer them in G17 and G19 flavors. I got the G19 version, and its quite the package deal.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:40:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:59:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Im aware theres forums on this but they're filled with nonsense and arguments on trigger weight. Im looking at the FN509 or the Glock 17 Gen4 and can't find any definitive pros or cons between the two. I prefer the 509's grip just a tad more than Glock but doesn't make much difference, Im primarily concerned with quality and long term reliability between the two. Are there any problems people have experience or would it serve nicely as a simple range firearm? Thanks.
View Quote

Okay, you want to know the long term reliability of a pistol that just came out this year (the 509)?  And if you're looking for a simple range firearm, why concern yourself with reliability?  A range-only pistol is where you can afford to have something finicky, like a Kel-Tec.

Frankly, I'm not a Glock fan, but if the question is ever Glock or XYZ, the answer is if you like the grip angle of a Glock, get the Glock. If you don't, get the other one.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:49:41 AM EDT
[#10]
If your info aftermarket add ons get the Glock.

If you prefer the grip of the FN, that's reason enough to get it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:41:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Okay, you want to know the long term reliability of a pistol that just came out this year (the 509)?  And if you're looking for a simple range firearm, why concern yourself with reliability?  A range-only pistol is where you can afford to have something finicky, like a Kel-Tec.

Frankly, I'm not a Glock fan, but if the question is ever Glock or XYZ, the answer is if you like the grip angle of a Glock, get the Glock. If you don't, get the other one.
View Quote
No kidding.

I own 5.56mm AR15s and 9mm Glocks.

I'm not a gun guy. I'm a shooter. They just work.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If your info aftermarket add ons get the Glock.

If you prefer the grip of the FN, that's reason enough to get it.
View Quote
This was the reasoning behind my first pistol when I got out of the Navy. The FN just felt much better in my hand and was easier to shoot.

Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Glock
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep. It's my duty gun, and wouldn't have it any other way.

I like a long of handguns, and compete with a Glock that's really not even a Glock anymore, but for reliability I want a bone stock G17

Besides that, nothing is easier to find mags and holsters for.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Where did you find the model with the front serrations?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Where did you find the model with the front serrations?
View Quote
My local gunstore had them. A couple of them do around here. Blue label and non-blue label. Its a new model from Glock that started shipping a couple of weeks ago.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I would go CZ P10C. Keeping with the question I liked and did shoot a FN 509 better than a Glock.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have around 2K in 3 glock Pmags with no issues. My total faith still resides in the stock mags. They run and run and are just damn good mags. A really big plus for Glock.

Unless you shoot that FN a lot better...Glock.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#19]
MAC FN 509 reliability test. Doesn't look good but you can judge by yourself. Tim did responded to his test in the general forum a few days ago. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mkaYMhSUIeo
Top Top