User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

357sig, 40, and 45 are still superior to 9mm. 
View Quote
In what way?

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How long until 380 is the go to round?

It has less recoil, can get follow up shots on target faster, can be higher capacity in full sized pistols, etc.  Basically all the reasons 9mm is popular again.

The justification to use 380 can be the same as 9mm, pistol rounds are meh.

22LR will work also.

357sig, 40, and 45 are still superior to 9mm.  Yes I own 9mm pistols.
View Quote
When the 380 can reliably meet the standards that we judge service calibers by.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
And cost the same or less than 9mm, and comes available in a majority of service pistols.

Quoted:
[380] ... can be higher capacity in full sized pistols
How do you figure that?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Holy shit.  Some of you act like teenage girls when the holy 9mm is questioned.  

That's the last time I play devils advocate again.  Obviously some of you are ballistic experts.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
All handguns are relatively poor 'stoppers' regardless of caliber or bullet used. Shot placement and sufficient penetration are paramount, all else is secondary.
While I prefer 9mm as the best balance of capacity, controllability & penetration, go w/whatever handgun you shoot best with, whatever the caliber/capacity (you can't miss fast enough or enough times to win a gunfight).

Tomac
View Quote
+1  There are a ton of very good to excellent 9 rounds now available.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's the last time I play devils advocate again.  Obviously some of you are ballistic experts.
View Quote
Next time use better assertions.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty much all handgun calibers suck when compared to rifles or shotguns when it comes to rapidly incapacitating threats. The small differences you see in performance between 9mm, .40 and .45 are so small as to be meaningless. Therefore I carry the one I can shoot the fastest with greatest accuracy and can carry the most ammo for. Being able to quickly place multiple projectiles where I want them to go with the capacity to continue shooting is IMO more important to winning the fight and surviving than caliber masturbation. That is why I carry 9mm. Buckshot from shotguns isn't the effective fight stopper it is because the pellets are so huge in diameter or do such incredible damage individually. It is effective because you are simultaneously placing nine .33 caliber (00 Buck) or fifteen .30 caliber (#1 Buck) in a decent pattern into a vital area. The wounding potential is greatly increased because all of the extra tissue that gets crushed and the numerous wound tracks finding important structures. I'll take more wound tracks from the 9mm I can shoot faster and more accurately over a marginally superior .40 cal round that I don't shoot as well or as fast. Sometimes less can be more.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#9]
The things that fail on people is that the rounds have to impact areas with vital areas like large blood vessels!

People only really die of one thing Anoxia!
Due three basic issues
Pump Failure with blood does not circulate blood enriched with oxygen
Major Pipes are broken with pipes blood not circulate
Blood Exsanguination nothing to be pumped that oxygen can bind to... does not take long to blow with major vessel issues!

All the fancy bullets in the world do nothing unless they cause one of the above, pure and simple.

Putting rounds on target are that count!  Some people worry about having whooper dooper bullets, but what does it matter if you can not put them to good use?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#10]
9mm is completely capable IMO.  That's what Ill carry into the future barring a new round.  It just has too many good things going for it 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How long until 380 is the go to round?

It has less recoil, can get follow up shots on target faster, can be higher capacity in full sized pistols, etc.  Basically all the reasons 9mm is popular again.

The justification to use 380 can be the same as 9mm, pistol rounds are meh.

22LR will work also.

357sig, 40, and 45 are still superior to 9mm.  Yes I own 9mm pistols.
View Quote
No. LOL.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Non Technical Pic Removed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

Bullet technology has improved a lot in just the past 15 years or so. Gaps that existed before are now closer. A poster above made a great point about the .357 Sig. The difference between the 125gr .357 Sig round vs a 124gr +P 9mm round are very minor. A 1 grain difference and 130ish FPS. The biggest differences are cost and capacity. The .357 Sig round cost more and has a lower capacity than the 9mm round. How do you justify that added cost of the .357 Sig and the lower capacity when your gains are so small? This applies to the .40 S&W and the .45 ACP as well. There is nothing wrong with any of the rounds discussed but when you look at cost, capacity and capability round for round the 9mm is the logical choice for many now days.. Twenty years ago not so much. Times change.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top