Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:41:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a Taurus 85 stainless for deep concealment.  Belly band, crossbreed, or sock holster.  No pocket guns for me, as it is too much of a pain to get my phone or keys out, l don't want to have to rip my shorts apart to pull my gun.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a Taurus 85 stainless for deep concealment.  Belly band, crossbreed, or sock holster.  No pocket guns for me, as it is too much of a pain to get my phone or keys out, l don't want to have to rip my shorts apart to pull my gun.  
View Quote

Nothing should be in your gun pocket except the gun.
Good point about clutter hindering a smooth draw.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nothing should be in your gun pocket except the gun.
Good point about clutter hindering a smooth draw.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm really surprised more are not carrying the LCP ll.

I carried a first gen Keltec P38T while on the PD as a back up. Never really liked it but it would disappear in my hidden pocket on my 511 BDU shirt.

I recently bought the LCP ll and love it.
It's accurate, shoots easier with less felt recoil, still very concealable, and the trigger is great compared to anything else in that class.

Dave N
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I have and have pocket carried a NAA .22LR and a Seecamp .32.  I've recently added a Ruger LCP Custom but haven't carried it yet.  I have a Remora for it and plan to pick up an Uncle George's back pocket holster.  I also have a Sig P290RS but it's a bit too big for my every day uniform.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Also a Seecamp 32 and a NAA Mini in .22LR

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I've carried my stainless steel Colt Mustang  for a couple of decades now.
It goes bang every time.

Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#9]
When I pocket carry, it's an M&P 9c in a Nemesis usually in the front pocket of cargo shorts.

It fits right in, I don't mind the few extra ounces, and I like having a real gun with 13 rounds of 147 grain HST in it when I pocket carry.

The worst thing I find about pocket carry is trying to present your gun while seated, especially while driving.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  When I pocket carry, it's an M&P 9c in a Nemesis usually in the front pocket of cargo shorts.

It fits right in, I don't mind the few extra ounces, and I like having a real gun with 13 rounds of 147 grain HST in it when I pocket carry.

The worst thing I find about pocket carry is trying to present your gun while seated, especially while driving.
View Quote
The vehicle is your primary weapon when driving.  Close w/ the enemy, fix, then maneuver.  Draw as you're getting out of the vehicle after you've pinned his car to the guardrail.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a lcp that on occasion I will pocket carry. The lcp is ok. Horrible trigger pull, but it can shoot accurately enough if I focus enough to do my part. With my big hands, small lightweight gun, and a heavy trigger pull, it comes down to my trigger control more than anything.   I'm not a fan of pocket carry. It has a place, but 90%+ I have a better option. The lcp in a vedder kydex iwb works better for my with basketball shorts and a t shirt. The belt clip grabs the waistband surprisingly well. Pocket carry for me is usually shirtless or dress clothes that are tucked in. I have a "tuckable" hybrid holster for my m&p40c, but the belt clips are a horrible giveaway. Even the clips that go under the belt are visible a little. I like to carry without anyone being able to tell. I only have 2 guns I carry, and 2 holsters each. 1 iwb, 1 pocket. I have pocket carried the m&p compact and it is doable. It is just too heavy for shorts waistbands. I will pocket cary it in a coat though. In winter with bibs on, the inside chest pocket is a great option.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The vehicle is your primary weapon when driving.  Close w/ the enemy, fix, then maneuver.  Draw as you're getting out of the vehicle after you've pinned his car to the guardrail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  When I pocket carry, it's an M&P 9c in a Nemesis usually in the front pocket of cargo shorts.

That makes good sense, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#13]
When wearing shorts it is a Bodyguard 380, easy to manage but very lengthy trigger pull which takes a bit of getting used to especially if you normally shoot a bigger striker fired pistol.

If in jeans and pocket carrying it will be a Glock 43, which I like as I typically carry a Glock when carrying on my belt so I am familiar with the Glock feel.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#14]
KT P-32, Ruger LCP II, S&W Model 38, KT P-11. They all ride in holsters.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:53:57 PM EDT
[#15]
These little guys.
20160407_115830 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
20160428_135104_Richtone(HDR) by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
20151117_103945(0) by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
20131019_012035 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

They're kinda big, and wide at the cylinder, but I haven't found a pocket auto I can't live without yet.

They're incredibly accurate and the triggers smooth out immensely after a few hundred rounds.

They're fun to shoot and easy to carry around.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Kimber 380 Micro, runs well on lots of ammo from JHP surp to Barnual to Geco. Loves Geco for groups.

A Recluse holster comes this week, and should be exactly what I want for this role.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:57:42 AM EDT
[#17]
G42, in a homemade leather holster, usually the back pocket of my jeans opposite my wallet.
If you're going to carry, carry it with a round in the chamber and thus, in a holster.

I reminded of the practice where an attacker is on you quickly and you hold him off with one hand
while you draw and fire with the other.  If IT ain't ready, YOU ain't ready.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#18]
My issue with pocket carry is consistent presentation/ orientation in the pocket.  Do you guys know of a company  that makes kydex holsters specifically for pocket carry? I have tried the nylon pocket holsters with mixed results.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm really surprised more are not carrying the LCP ll.

I carried a first gen Keltec P38T while on the PD as a back up. Never really liked it but it would disappear in my hidden pocket on my 511 BDU shirt.

I recently bought the LCP ll and love it.
It's accurate, shoots easier with less felt recoil, still very concealable, and the trigger is great compared to anything else in that class.

Dave N
View Quote
Yep.  LCPII with a DeSantis SuperFly holster for me.  I painted the front sight white which helps me pick it up a lot faster.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

Ruger LCR .38+p or my XDs 9mm
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#21]
S&W 642 no-lock with VZ grips. I'm more than halfway through my fourth year carrying every day. I use a Desantis Nemesis and do not think about the firearm being in my pocket unless the situation prompts it. Cons would be the low capacity of a J-Frame .38 (5), but pros would be accuracy, power (for the barrel length), low weight, and shootability. Recoil is substantial with 158gr. LSWC-HP +P loads. I would rather shoot 200 rounds of .44 Magnum from my 29-2 than 50 rounds of +P from this revolver. Despite the recoil, it is a natural choice for me as a revolver shooter and I have run the 642 from the pocket holster on various Steel Challenge stages.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep.  LCPII with a DeSantis SuperFly holster for me.  I painted the front sight white which helps me pick it up a lot faster.
View Quote
I bought some neon red fingernail polish for the front sight on mine.

Really makes a difference.

Dave N
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:06:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I bought some neon red fingernail polish for the front sight on mine.

Really makes a difference.

Dave N
View Quote
I did the same.  Maybe it was after reading you doing yours a while back?  

LCPII is a pretty good pocket pistol.  One caveat though:  chamber the round by pushing down on the slide stop.  If you short stroke it by hand racking the slide, the hammer may not be fully cocked and you have a dead gun when you need it.  It's the nature of their "improved" trigger.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Beretta Pico with the LaserMax frame. Works great, feeds great, decently accurate for a little .380 pocket pistol. Having full-sized sights on a pocket pistol is a humongous plus. It's also ridiculously thin so I can get away with carrying it even when there is absolutely no way I could reasonably conceal a compact or subcompact.

Downside is it's .380 ACP, but nothing 9mm fit the bill for degree of size and weight reduction over a regular subcompact.

Just to be extra unicorny, sometimes I carry my old Beretta 9000S in a DeSantis cargo nemesis holster. It's a lot thicker and heavier than the Pico obviously, and yes, the grip is crazy big (fortunately I have big hands). However, the upside is it is surprisingly accurate and a very soft shooter that makes for very quick follow-up shots. No major complaints reliability-wise. After 8 years of use the safety spring broke and it could not be put on safe any longer, but that's it. I had Midwest Gunworks repair it and it's back to 100%.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:59:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Kahr PM9, love it.
100% reliable with the 6 round mags. I carry Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P SB in mine.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:24:19 AM EDT
[#26]
I wish more people would give the RM380 a try now that they can be had for $160 online ($210 minus the $50 rebate).
They are as pocketable as an LCP, but shoot as soft and are as reliable as the G42.

Did anyone ever figure out if the LCP II has any kind of striker safety? Has it passed drop tests? I was one of the people a bit nervous about a cocked gun that if some part slipped, it could be bad. I like everything else about it--though I'm kinda spoiled with these all metal RM380s once you get the trigger smoothed out and lightened up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#27]
I carried my Kahr PM9 for 8 years until I recently replaced it with a 45 Shield and a CZP-01. I never had a problem with the PM9 it goes bang every time. If I'm just running to the store quick, in my pocket it still goes. Great little pistol.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#28]

This is acceptable enough accuracy for me, for my BUG/pocket gun.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#29]
G42 with TLR6 in DeSantis Nemesis. Love the gun not snappy at all like some would think.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
ONLY A SUICIDAL IDIOT WOULD POCKET CARRY WITHOUT A HOLSTER.

- just a few folks have mentioned thier pocket-holster of choice (good choices, BTW).  I'll assume the rest of you are smart enough to use a pocket holster & just didn't mention it.

Look - I read about a CCW holder shooting themselves/others negligently at least once a year due to "gun in pocket/ no holster."  It's sad that "our side" loses people and loses credibility this way.  Don't be "that guy."

(Rant mode off. Begin technical input):

I used to carry the (then) smallest/lightest locked-breach semi in a pocket holster:  the old Kel Tech p-32.

Ruger bought/copied that design and makes excellent, warranty-backed models, including a 9mm version.  Good choice (with a pocket holster).

I still sometimes carry a 5 shot 357Mag (340PD S&W) in a DiSantis holster.  My old 5 shot has the original titanium-alloy cylinder, plus the frames on the original guns sometimes crack.

If I were buying today, I'd buy the Ruger 5 shot 357 revoked.  It's not beautiful - but beauty is not its purpose.  

I'll also echo those above who advocate PRACTICE!  It's critical whatever / how-ever you carry.  But it's especially important with pocket carry.
View Quote
Stereotypes exist for a reason.

The hired helper in a gun shop somehow thinks due to the fact that they work in a gun store, that they are subject matter experts...

The "ONLY A SUICIDAL IDIOT WOULD POCKET CARRY WITHOUT A HOLSTER." post nails it.

It would seem that almost every gun store has one of these "Tex Grebner" subject matter experts ready to attempt to impress you with their unsolicited advice and off topic discussions.

Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I've probably had 20 pocket guns in the last few decades.  Current pocket gun is a Beretta Pico, which has been 100 percent reliable since making a trip back to Beretta for a mechanical failure right out of the box. Pluses are it's thin, light, has good sights and is surprisingly easy to shoot well.  Negatives are the tiny grip and it had to go back to the factory.

As far as the holster debate is concerned, while I use pocket holsters 99% of the time and think everyone should (specially if you have a striker fired pistol) if you can't carry a DAO pistol or revolver in a pocket without shooting yourself then maybe pepper spray is a better option for you.

I had one job in downtown Seattle where I had to walk 3/4 mile at 1am from the shop to where I had to park. I kept a J frame in my coat pocket with my hand in the pocket holding the gun during the walk.  Somehow I managed to do this for an entire year without shooting myself.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Only an Idiot would pocket carry a pistol without a holster. 
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top