Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/6/2017 3:38:54 PM EDT
I have been back and forth and trying justabout everything out there...is there a Slide lube better than the next?  Lately I have been using Rig +P stainless steel lube made by birchwood Casey... it seem to stay where put but seems to "break down" or disapears after a few range sessions...
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I use Mobil 1 bearing grease that I bought at AutoZone.  When the grease gets so black and no longer pink I know it is time to wipe off and replace.
This is what it is.  Works great and cheap for the amount.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Lucas Red N' Tacky.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The best is also the most expensive- an aerospace grease called Krytox put out by DuPont.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used TW25B in the past, but my go to lube for the past several years has been Slip 2000 EWL.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I've gotten excellent results with TW25B, it's been terrific on my alloy framed SIGs and my steel framed pistols as well.

Plastic guns get Breakfree LP.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use Mobil 1 bearing grease that I bought at AutoZone.  When the grease gets so black and no longer pink I know it is time to wipe off and replace.
View Quote
I also use bearing grease.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The best is also the most expensive- an aerospace grease called Krytox put out by DuPont.
View Quote
grainger krytox?  not necessarily better than Magnalube, but it is medical and food grade, thus the price......the applicator is very nice with a twist lock and oring seal.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
That stuff you have to avoid contact with skin it can be a skin irritant.
Some of you guys way overthink and overpay for your lube.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#13]
white lithium grease I got at autozone
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#14]
well I have to admit I keep my Sigs and Beretta's better lubed than my poly framed guns....  the big tub "o" bearing grease seems like it would work well,  I'm just sick of buying and going through small tubes of grease that dont seem to last....
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Most general purpose/wheel bearing grease is NLGI #2.   That's pretty thick for firearm applications and can be too thick in cool-cold weather.  

An NLGI #0 or #1 would be much more suitable.

I use Slip 2000 EWG.  Anything would work.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#16]
SuperLube synthetic grease.

It is a great grease like many others but it is clear so it does not stain, odorless so no stinky grease smell, and food grade. It also is not very expensive for the amount you use on guns.

$6 squeeze tube at Harbor Freight, $14 pound tube at Ace hardware.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Most general purpose/wheel bearing grease is NLGI #2.   That's pretty thick for firearm applications and can be too thick in cool-cold weather.  

An NLGI #0 or #1 would be much more suitable.

I use Slip 2000 EWG.  Anything would work.
View Quote
Even the thicker greases are kept at 98 degrees +/- when aiwb.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I use white lithium grease, bought a tube at Menard's and it just won't run out.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Tetra
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Hoppes gun oil......grease picks up too much crap.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Slip 2000 EWG here.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll put a +1 for Magnalube G.
12 years ago, while I was deployed to Kosovo, Magalube sent us free tubes (.75 oz) to try out.
It worked very well. I still have the tube though I'm about due to replace it, by guesstimate I've got about half a teaspoon left.
A little goes a long way.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#23]
One of these lasts a long fucking time!

I put it in one of these...
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The SDS says otherwise.

It can cause lung irritation if you get it extremely hot, so I wouldn't use it in something like an AR, but for a handgun it's great.

For further reading: http://www.sandsmachine.com/grease_t.htm
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Breakthrough grease
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:32:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Super Tech Hi temp red break grease. Works really well.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:32:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Super Lube.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 1:06:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Wheel bearing grease for my sig
Mobil 1 synthetic oil for everything else
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:28:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Automotive White lithium grease.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:56:37 AM EDT
[#30]
sigs get white lithium, my other guns get red general purpose grease
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Tech forum
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#32]
I use rigs on the slide and frame rails.

It only seems to migrate when it gets mixed with a lower viscosity oil.

Been using it for over a decade.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I use Wilson grease in the syringe.  I'm sure it is just re-packaged white grease that they buy and label, but I bought several syringes of it a few years ago when someone had it on sale and that may be a lifetime buy for me at my rate of usage.  I use it on my Sig and Glock handguns, a little in my AR BCGs along with Slip 2000 EWL, and liberally in my AKs.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#35]
I went to a Frank Proctor class and he recommended Lucas Gun oil versus other lubes and grease. I have had good results with it keeping my guns running and not getting too gunked up with debris and other crap.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Have I been doing it wrong?  I have just used CLP on my metal framed guns for 30 years.  My 439 seems fine.  What is the advantage of grease?  Bear in mind I do live in a northern climate and that pistol spends most of it's time in a police duty rig not inside my coat.
View Quote
The only. Only. Time I use grease is with steel slides and alloy frames.

Steel on steel gets whatever free CLP lube I've got from promotional giveaways.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have I been doing it wrong?  I have just used CLP on my metal framed guns for 30 years.  My 439 seems fine.  What is the advantage of grease?  Bear in mind I do live in a northern climate and that pistol spends most of it's time in a police duty rig not inside my coat.

I have got away from using liquid lubes because I get tired of the excessive run off of the lube and the grease tends to stay put longer.  Same with my carry Glock I lube the rails and rail tabs, the trigger bar\connector and the barrel lug.  My pistol looks less like a fuzzy mess after a few weeks of carrying and the pistol weeping lube on top of that never drys out or runs off the lube.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Moblie 1
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same.

Works very well.

For oil Mobil1 5W-30.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I use this stuff:

In one of these:

Link Posted: 6/8/2017 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#42]
have been using TW25B for years on rifles and pistols. doesnt run, and stays right where i put it. also doesnt disappear over time.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Some of you guys way overthink and overpay for your lube.
View Quote
Agreed. Your choice of lube isn't going to make your gun invincible or more deadly. Use something that gets the job done. I use whatever has the best applicator. Right now, I think it's TW25, cuz it has the syringe like that Krytex or whatever. Twist lock, narrow tip, easy to control.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Lubriplate SFL 0.  I also have a bit of TW-25B and they are pretty much the same consistency.  If you put them each in separate unlabeled bottles I don't think I could tell them apart.  I got a 14 oz tub of lubriplate from Brownells or Midway for <$15, don't remember which.  I use syringes I got for a few bucks of amazon to move the grease into tiny eye dropper bottles I also got for a few bucks off amazon.  Filled a few with grease, a few with CLP, and am able to stash them in my pistol boxes, AR grips, and anywhere else that might come in handy.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have got away from using liquid lubes because I get tired of the excessive run off of the lube and the grease tends to stay put longer.  Same with my carry Glock I lube the rails and rail tabs, the trigger bar\connector and the barrel lug.  My pistol looks less like a fuzzy mess after a few weeks of carrying and the pistol weeping lube on top of that never drys out or runs off the lube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it drips you're using too much. 

Grease in a non-grease application will just collect crap.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Luckily pistols are a pretty great grease application

You can also put small amounts of grease to reduce how much crap it collects, same as oil there's no need to glob it on.  The big advantage is it stays where you put it, rather than migrating to more "crap prone" locations and picking up extra lint.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#47]
I've tried them all, and while most give acceptable results, I've settled on Slip 2000 EWG.  A 1.5 oz syringe lasts a long time as all it takes is a tinny bit at the points you want to lube. You can get it in a container rather than the syringe, but it will go faster as there is usually more waste, whereas the syringe allows you to meter out just the right amount.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
grainger krytox?  not necessarily better than Magnalube, but it is medical and food grade, thus the price......the applicator is very nice with a twist lock and oring seal.  
https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/35RR28_AS02?$zmmain$
View Quote
Superlube grease is also food grade, also a synthetic grease with PTFE, but a fraction of the price:

Attachment Attached File

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XBH9HI?tag=vglnk-c102-20

Been using this for years/decades, works great.  TW25b also works fine if you just have to buy a "gun lube" product (at higher pricing). TW25b is a better option in extremely cold weather if your handgun is exposed to the cold temps.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Geissele Go Juice
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can use the smallest amount possible and it will still run off or weep.  

I have yet to experience that my result are complete opposite.  Grease stays put and yes it will still collect but no more than any other lube.  Liquid collects dust everywhere is weeps and runs of.  

I used to and still do sometimes use Mobil 1 oil, atf and gear oil.  Even the heavier ones will eventually run off and make a mess in my holster.  I use just a small amount of Mobil 1 bearing grease and it has been much better.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top