Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2017 3:26:21 PM EDT
Anyone give me some feedback on them?  Finally found one in a gun store and messed around with it as much as I could.  Have seen good and bad youtube reviews (more good than bad, the bad stated rust/pitting issues on barrel).  I really liked the grip and overall quality of the gun.  Fire away  If you want to give actual use comparison to Sig 226/229 that would be fine as well.  Looking at the threaded barrel version if that helps at all.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#1]
OP, I have no first hand experience with Sphinx pistols I admit! However, 2nd hand news I've heard just as much bad about them as I ever have good to be brutally honest. Things like, "This pistol is unstoppable", to "This pistol is a total piece O' shit!" If you are asking for advice... mine is to get a CZ and leave the "knock off" stuff in the shop case! Now I do have quite a bit of experience with CZ pistols, a P-01, an SP-01, a 75B SA model, and a 97B. These pistols are very well made and they run just like they are made. With the advent of CZ being the subject of more and more aftermarket support, such as: Cajun Gun Works, CZ-USA, and CZ Custom you have so many options for trigger mods, sights, threaded barrels... And almost every major holster maker is now making holsters for them. I can't say any of the aforementioned for the Sphinx. It seems to me its the luck of the draw with the Sphinx. I do admit I like the way the Sphinx pistols feel in the hand and the way they look... YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Sphinx are excellent pistols, made in Switzerland (although the Swiss company has now closed with production moved to the USA.) They will go up in price down the road.

They are very accurate and smooth shooting guns, and for the price of getting a CZ up to Sphinx spec, you could have just bought the Sphinx.

The integral recoil buffer helps a good bit with recoil when firing +p+ loads; my buddy was shooting 124's @1360fps from his and it was surprisingly smooth.

Would absolutely recommend them over a Sig.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Went down this round and for the price of the Sphinx out of the box I could buy a CZ with trigger upgrades and still come out a head with a better trigger.  CZ has better aftermarket support like sights and holsters than Sphinx.  I really wanted a Sphinx till I had someone show me the light on CZ.  CZ cost less and more bang for the buck than a Sphinx.  Sphinx out of the box has slightly better trigger but just shooting a CZ and wearing it in brings it on par with the Sphinx.

I ended up with a CZ 75BD and SP01 Tactical.  Could not be happier with the end result.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:49:56 PM EDT
[#4]
My thoughts are that it isn't nice enough over a CZ to command the premium; certainly not in the trigger department.

I would rather have something like a Tanfoglio Stock II or a Shadow/AccuShadow for a premium CZ style pistol.

Then there is the question of aftermarket parts, mags, holsters, etc.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:02:03 AM EDT
[#5]
It is a highly refined and very well made CZ clone. The trigger pulls in DA and SA are similar to CZ, but probably a little bit smoother with a shorter SA reset on the Sphinx. I own a Sphinx SDP Compact as well as many CZ's. I suggest to just buy a CZ. The trigger is too heavy for a gun with that high of price tag. The CZ has an upgrade path to improve the trigger. The Sphinx has a spring kit from CGW and thats it. My CZ's get carried and often taken to the range, my Sphinx sits in the safe.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:56:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Their trigger return springs aren't as durable or easily replaceable as I'd like because of how difficult the pin is to remove.  Mines been a very accurate, utterly reliable over 4k rounds, and a smooth shooter like the a poster above mentioned -- really likes those fast 124s.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone for the replies.  I will definitely look at the CZ.  Hopefully get to handle an SP-01 Tactical with threaded barrel.  Prices on gunbroker are certainly better compared to the Sphinx.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#8]
They are nice however I prefer a factory CZ with Cajun upgrades.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Sphinx needs to make a 10mm version of their uber-sweet, large-frame .45 that was imported about 10 or 15 years ago. Forgot who the importer was back then,  but it had the best out-of-the-box trigger on any pistol I've ever handled  -  SA or DA/SA.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had some experience with them:
SDP Subcompact
SDP Compact

They are beautifully well made guns, but I think I pissed them off twice when I said my old CZ75 and TA90 were better shooters at a fraction of the price.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:36:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Went down this round and for the price of the Sphinx out of the box I could buy a CZ with trigger upgrades and still come out a head with a better trigger.  CZ has better aftermarket support like sights and holsters than Sphinx.  I really wanted a Sphinx till I had someone show me the light on CZ.  CZ cost less and more bang for the buck than a Sphinx. Sphinx out of the box has slightly better trigger but just shooting a CZ and wearing it in brings it on par with the Sphinx.

I ended up with a CZ 75BD and SP01 Tactical.  Could not be happier with the end result.
View Quote
Everyone of my CZs' triggers have vastly improved after 500 rounds. The triggers on the P-01 and SP-01 out of the box were pretty good to begin with. After 500 rounds they became much nicer. After 2K rounds I'd dare to say they've become "polished"! My brother performed a quality trigger job on his CZ. I can't tell any appreciable difference between his CGW, hand massaged trigger in his PCR and my stock P-01 trigger with 2K+ rounds thru it. The CZ triggers wear in really well. My 97B feels like it was hand worked by CZ from the factory out of the box. After another 1k thru it and I'm sure it will be the best trigger of the CZ bunch in my meager collection!
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#12]
With the CZ trigger upgrade parts it's the reduced reach (85c)DA pull weight and the reset that benefits the most.
The stock triggers aren't bad but they have potential to be amazing.  Some basic polishing and Springs make a difference with spending much money.
Why wait 2000rds when 30min of polishing lightly does the same.   I know not everyone does home gunsmith stuff but it is a option.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got one in Alpine and love it. Shot great out of the box.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top