Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2017 9:16:20 AM EDT
Was looking at the Galco summer comfort for my new Sig P229 and HK P2000. But I've never had a leather holster so I'm a little leary of getting one since I've only got experience with like Comp-tac and Stealth gear (which I love both).
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Was looking at the Galco summer comfort for my new Sig P229 and HK P2000. But I've never had a leather holster so I'm a little leary of getting one since I've only got experience with like Comp-tac and Stealth gear (which I love both).
View Quote

I would stick with kydex.  I started with leather when I first started carrying and migrated over the years to hybrid then full kydex.  Leather is thicker, requires more maintenance, holds salts from sweat, some will collapse when they are IWB making it hard to reholster, draw is slower not as smooth, and sometimes they are much more expensive.  One down side for me is leather does not offer a lot of selection for pistols with weapon mounted lights.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll dissent and say go ahead and give it a shot but suggest you look at horsehide for IWB. I have a Milt Spark's holster IWB that Galco copied (I think) for the summer comfort and it is great.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like horsehide summer special type holsters. A good one in worth it.

A good one will not collapse and will outlast kydex by a long margin.

Horsehide is thinner and denser than cowhide. It is less likely to absorb water, salt, etc.

It is more comfortable than kydex and won't wear holes in jeans like some kydex.

Kydex is a little faster and I'm wearing one now.

Get both.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I bet both guns would fit the same leather holster though.  I have an OWB for a P2K that fits a lot of my other guns too, Glock, P99, etc.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't like kydex and only use leather for IWB holsters. I'd try it out but I prefer the VM2 style holsters since they have the snaps in front of and behind the weapon they are thinner. They also seem the distribute the weight over the belt better.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I start using kydex and thought it was awesome. I got a galco summer summer comfort and now all of my holsters are leather. I prefer OWB now, I have a p226 and a p227. The OWB holster sits so close to your body I can conceal it with a T-shirt and barley know its there. My OWB holster is a glaco I just can't remember which model.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't like kydex and only use leather for IWB holsters. I'd try it out but I prefer the VM2 style holsters since they have the snaps in front of and behind the weapon they are thinner. They also seem the distribute the weight over the belt better.
View Quote

Have an example of the VM2 holster you are referring to?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My OWB holster is a glaco I just can't remember which model.
View Quote

Please find out if you can!
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Milt sparks vm2

They are very nice as well. I just prefer smaller footprints.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#10]
So what's the difference between cow hide, horse hide, and horse hide with shark skin?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So what's the difference between cow hide, horse hide, and horse hide with shark skin?
View Quote

I can't speak of the sharkskin but I explain the difference between HH and CH above.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I would stick with kydex.  I started with leather when I first started carrying and migrated over the years to hybrid then full kydex.  Leather is thicker, requires more maintenance, holds salts from sweat, some will collapse when they are IWB making it hard to reholster, draw is slower not as smooth, and sometimes they are much more expensive.  One down side for me is leather does not offer a lot of selection for pistols with weapon mounted lights.
View Quote

FPNI

A guy once told me i show my friends my 1911's my enemy's will get to see my glock's.

That's pretty much how i am about leather holsters they are for wedding's and barbq's.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My OWB holster is a glaco I just can't remember which model.

@KCode98 This is for a P226 but my p227 fits as well. Great holster, honestly all of my other holster have been sitting in "the drawer" since I got it.

https://www.amazon.com/Galco-Combat-Master-Holster-Sig-Sauer/dp/B003UGGRJE?tag=vglnk-c102-20

ETA: I have also tried hybrid holsters (½ kydex, ½ leather) and all leather still beats any holster I have ever owned by a large margin.

Here is the Galco combat master for a 229
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here's a VM2. Having the snaps in front of and behind the weapon, instead of right on top of the weapon, make the holster and weapon combo less thick. Also helps distribute the weight, but it is longer (front to back) that may be why some people prefer the summer special style holsters. Milt Sparks makes awesome holsters, but you can get their basic styles from other makers (like Galco) if you're on a budget or don't want to wait 3-4 months.

For me, leather is a lot more comfortable and easier to conceal than kydex. It conforms to your body shape, is softer on your skin (and your weapon), and matches a leather belt. I honestly don't know how anyone carries 6-8 hours IWB with kydex, but I guess everyone has different preferences.

Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Check out Ryan Grizzle. They take a couple months to complete but it will last forever.

The wider foot print of the vm2 is more stable but I kinda like to be able to move my gun a little when seated while wearing a summer special style holster. It's not floppy but moves just enough to allow different positions to be more comfortable imo.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Leather is noticeably more comfortable. If maximum comfort is your number one priority get leather. If it's not, it's arguable which is best.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I have both leather and kydex for both IWB and OWB.  IMO, leather is much better looking (or course) and is more comfortable.
Kydex IWB is only appropriate for smaller weapons, again in my opinion.  I still prefer leather, but to each his / her own.  For OWB, comfort for either is the same, but again, leather beats kydex for looks and durability.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Check out Ryan Grizzle. They take a couple months to complete but it will last forever.

The wider foot print of the vm2 is more stable but I kinda like to be able to move my gun a little when seated while wearing a summer special style holster. It's not floppy but moves just enough to allow different positions to be more comfortable imo.
View Quote

I know what you mean and I'm the same way. I greatly like a single clip style (clip where the gun is) over 2. Right now I'm wearing a Infadel max or whatever and my Mtac is at home.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I've used Blade Tech and now only use StealthGear holsters. Before that I used to use various leather and shark holsters. Leather holsters wear out a lot faster than Kydex. At least the Blade Tech kydex that I've used on/off duty for over 20 years. Even the sharkskin custom holster that I had made for a revolver shows signs of wear that my kydex holsters do not. Besides the holster you might also consider your gun belt.

I have a box full of old, leather and nylon belts as well as one elephant skin Belt Man belt. All of these belts show signs of wear after only two years. I have been buying and wearing these belts spanning 25 years and the only gun belt that I have been wearing for the last 3-4 years has been the 5.11 Apex Gunners belt. It's made of 1 1/2' B10 coated material that feels like a thin rubber belt. It is rated 1,000 lbs tensile strength. It still looks almost new with just a few scuffs on the aluminum buckle. It's thin enough and neutral enough that I wear it with everything including suits. It's stout enough to comfortably carry my full size, all steel 1911 10mm pistol, three magazines, and heavy Key Bak retractable key chain and keys.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-59492-apex-belt.html

Oh, and my sharkskin holster is, unfortunately, not made entirely of sharkskin. The holster maker used cowskin with the sharkskin outside. I don't know why he did that, but, I noticed that the cowhide lining is wearing out a lot faster than the sharkskin. It would be better if the whole holster had been made of sharkskin.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like the Summer Special and the Summer Special II because the loops are close together allowing me to put a pants loop between them stabilizing the holster.

The little bit of thickness doesn't bother me.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Like most everyone who has been handgunning for a number of years, I've got a drawer full of holsters in both leather and kydex for both IWB and OWB use.

I have pretty much settled on mostly leather for OWB holsters and only kydex for IWB holsters. I have two Stealthgear IWBs that are especially comfortable. With OWB holsters I don't have to worry much about sweat on leather holsters except for my woods gun. I still use a don't-know-how-many-years-old Don Hume for that Smith Model 66 woods gun and it has held up just fine.

My OWB leather holsters are all from Galco, DeSantis, Alessi and Don Hume. My kydex holsters have come from a number of different makers. Kydex is great for IWB use since it doesn't absorb sweat and is available in a nice assortment of colors and patterns. On the other hand, a well made leather holster is almost art.

Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes!

This is my Fletch:

Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#23]
yes! I picked up a beautiful WarBird Leather holster for my 1911 for range use and open carry if I feel like it. and I'll be damned, most comfortable way to carry I've ever tried. so I actually ordered a matching one for my shield. Will still conceal well, but SOOOOOOO much more comfortable than kydex digging into my ass all day.
I'll still compete with kydex, but I'm training and carrying in leather.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#24]
1911's deserve leather, trying wright leather works. my glocks and shield like stealthgear holsters. very $$$ but work great and very comfy owb. they really bring pistols close to body.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I have my preferences when it comes to leather.  I prefer rough side out, I like a sweat shield, a bit of forward cant, and I like the compactness of the SSII.   If the SSII were made in horsehide, it would the the perfect leather holster for me.  As it is, it's pretty damned close.

Sharkskin is used for ornamentation on top of standard leather.  While it's very tough, it's thin and it doesn't seem to keep a shape very well, so you have to glue it to something that will mold properly.  I have a sharkskin belt and it looks brand new compared to my leather belts, but it is relatively soft and the edges are starting to get ragged.

These days I make my own kydex holsters.  I prefer an IWB much like the SSII in shape, but I bolt on a tuckable extension.  

Kind of like this, but with more cant:

http://maktact.com/product/kydex-iwb-holster/
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#26]
The '1911 deserves leather, Glocks in kydex' is stupid mantra from people who own guns as fashion accessories.  

Find a holster that works with your body type, attire, handgun, and concealment needs.  

You're gonna spend a lot on holsters!

The Milt Sparks VMII works very well for me.  I have walked miles and miles of South Texas with a Glock 17 in a VMII.  

For AIWB, I use JM Custom.  Just the regular AIWB.  I don't like the wedges and wings or anything on 'em, but that stuff exists for a reason.  

The SSII/Summer Comfort type holsters absolutely do not work for me.

I'm 5'8", 135-140lbs.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks Sam for clearing that up for me. Really appreciate it. U r right. My comment was def fashion driven. I just love fashion.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#28]
I prefer leather, but own both.  I feel like the leather pancake style holster is more supportive- the back side helps it 'stick' to your clothing.  Less shifting and sagging (I carry regular guns, not tiny ones).  I very rarely carry IWB so I only have one of those.  OWB is much more comfortable and the gun is concealed as much as it needs to be.

Here a couple of my EDC holsters.  Lobo Enhanced Pancake on top, and a Tucker HF1.  Both are lined so it's smooth for both sides.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#29]
All my IWB holsters are leather, much more comfortable than Kydex. I also have a couple of hybrid leather/Kydex IWB holsters that are very comfortable to wear. I have a all Kydex holster that works very well for OWB carry. But I will stick with leather or leather/Kydex for IWB carry. But everyone is different so get what works for you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thanks Sam for clearing that up for me. Really appreciate it. U r right. My comment was def fashion driven. I just love fashion.
View Quote
I'm not posting anything about what my pretty guns deserve.  I use my shit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#31]
IWB Leather. OWB take your pick.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#32]
P2000 in a VM2

ETA - Pulled this out of the holsters I no longer wear box.  It's really not as thick as kydex folks want you to think.  Moving the snaps to the front and back keep it very thin and lets it sit on the belt better.  This is the only style holster I'll wear IWB.  This was my daily carry until I found a holster I like better.  TT Gunleather makes a VM2 copy that sits the gun deeper and has a little more cant.  It fits around my love handles a little better.   I also have a P229r carried in the same style holster.  Someone suggested earlier you might could share a holster.  No way that's going to happen with any fitted holster.  The Sig is simply too large to fit into the H&K holster.    

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:57:45 AM EDT
[#34]
El Paso Saddlery makes great OWB holsters. And you cannot beat a Milt Sparks VersaMax II for IWB 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top