Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2016 2:00:28 PM EDT
I have a really old 1st generation M&P9c and a newer full size. I got curious about "maritime spring cups" and quickly saw a difference between the old and new "cups".

The older model is on the left and the new on the right. I believe its safe to say that could have some effect on the performance. I have seen plenty of other youtube videos showing M&P's running great in water. I wonder which one MAC's pistol has?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#1]
interesting maybe Mac will let us know.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:37:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I've wondered this as well. There are videos on YouTube of guys emptying mags underwater.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 1:28:42 AM EDT
[#3]
From my own experiences I would have to say both the Glock and M&P have proven themselves to be very reliable. Seem many other guns go down, but these guns just run and run. I've actually broken some Glocks break before some M&P's, but I'd say they are pretty close. I've broken several Walther PPQ's, Sig P320's, HK VP9's, so I can't trust them really. I will say the Springfield XD series is also very reliable as well, but I personally just prefer the Glock or S&W over them, not that there's anything wrong with them of course. But yeah I was surprised how easily I broke these other popular striker fired guns though. This is just high round counts, not water tests or mud tests or anything like that though. But I'd have no issues carrying a M&P, I actually prefer it over the Glock personally, especially with an Apex trigger kit installed, best striker fired trigger ever!! haha. But then again most people would never shoot near enough ammo to break any of these popular guns.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#4]
The gun I used was old, I would say "first generation" if S&W labeled them in such a way. I honestly can't believe the performance in the water. The only other M&P I have that I know is newer is my CORE and it has a RMR installed. I didn't use it in the video because if it had issues, people would say the weight of the RMR caused it. If it passed, people would say the RMR caused it. You know how that goes. So I used the least modified gun I had which happened to be the oldest.

Are there any differences between the striker channels themselves? Did S&W alter the channels in any way between production runs?
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

From my own experiences I would have to say both the Glock and M&P have proven themselves to be very reliable. Seem many other guns go down, but these guns just run and run. I've actually broken some Glocks break before some M&P's, but I'd say they are pretty close. I've broken several Walther PPQ's, Sig P320's, HK VP9's, so I can't trust them really. I will say the Springfield XD series is also very reliable as well, but I personally just prefer the Glock or S&W over them, not that there's anything wrong with them of course. But yeah I was surprised how easily I broke these other popular striker fired guns though. This is just high round counts, not water tests or mud tests or anything like that though. But I'd have no issues carrying a M&P, I actually prefer it over the Glock personally, especially with an Apex trigger kit installed, best striker fired trigger ever!! haha. But then again most people would never shoot near enough ammo to break any of these popular guns.
View Quote

I would disagree that the S&W M&P has proven itself. It is being dropped by a number of PD's because of issues. It also was dropped from the military trials. I hear rumors of a M&P 2 that's due soon that remedies the known issues with the current generation guns.

I've not had any issues with either of my two full sized M&P's or my Shield, but then I really don't shoot them much because in my hands they're not very accurate. The LOP on the trigger is just too short for my ape like hands. The APEX trigger helps, but it doesn't completely remedy the issue for me.

I would say the most proven pistol (depending on generation) is the Glock but Lord only knows they've had their fair share of generational issues (take the 17M debacle of late as an example).
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I have given much thought to the M&P's performance and it just doesn't sit right with me. I'll likely buy a new M&P, tear it down and compare it to my test gun. If I see differences, I'll subject the new M&P to the tests.

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The gun I used was old, I would say "first generation" if S&W labeled them in such a way. I honestly can't believe the performance in the water. The only other M&P I have that I know is newer is my CORE and it has a RMR installed. I didn't use it in the video because if it had issues, people would say the weight of the RMR caused it. If it passed, people would say the RMR caused it. You know how that goes. So I used the least modified gun I had which happened to be the oldest.

Are there any differences between the striker channels themselves? Did S&W alter the channels in any way between production runs?
View Quote

I will try to get a good look at the channels later tonight or tomorrow. I'd say the shape of the striker and cup would almost certainly increase water performance. I have thousands upon thousands of rounds through my 9c and its been great. I just traded of a g19 to get a m$p45c so obviously it doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I will try to get a good look at the channels later tonight or tomorrow. I'd say the shape of the striker and cup would almost certainly increase water performance. I have thousands upon thousands of rounds through my 9c and its been great. I just traded of a g19 to get a m$p45c so obviously it doesn't bother me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Any pictures you could take would be tremendously helpful of any differences in the strikers and channels.

I can't recall ever having to clear a malfunction in any of my 3 M&P's over the years.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:25:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Glock and the sig p226 have been dropped from WAY more police departments than the M&P for a myraid of issues, but we both no just how reliable they are. I think M&P will continue to lose law enforcement contracts until they fix the 9mm barrel lockup and replace the hinged trigger. M&P and walther is still the only line of pistols that has never malfunctioned on me. This includes the 9c, 9fs, shield, 40 and 22c. I have never however dunked them under water. I did see it fit to replace my '07 striker with the newer ones as pictured above a couple years ago. S&W recognized the striker and revamped it. That being said the g19 is the only glock o own and it still the top dog. Thanks for coming on and answering some queries. I can't figure out how to make a link, but check this out.

https://youtu.be/Y62aUKbD5yI
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have given much thought to the M&P's performance and it just doesn't sit right with me. I'll likely buy a new M&P, tear it down and compare it to my test gun. If I see differences, I'll subject the new M&P to the tests.  
View Quote

Good to hear, I just bought a new 2016 full size M&P 9 even after your vid...
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm going to take the striker out of my new 45c later and see what it looks like.

The barrel lockup issue seems like an issue but my M&Ps are still more accurate (for me) at distance than a Glock.

MAC- if you get another m&p and it runs good swap the striker assembly and try that older gun again, I bet that's the issue. Or just get another striker assembly and try the old gun.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#12]

I was just surfing you-tube, and just saw this....

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y62aUKbD5yI

View Quote

I've seen at least 2 other channels do the same thing, neither had the hydro locking issue that MAC experienced.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've seen at least 2 other channels do the same thing, neither had the hydro locking issue that MAC experienced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably the water they use ... Remember it got the VP9 as well.  I bet he is using heavy water!
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Probably the water they use ... Remember it got the VP9 as well.  I bet he is using heavy water!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I watched the videos I was bracing myself for someone to make some complete nonsensical accusation or theory like that but they both approached it as "His gun choked,  I want to see if mine will too"
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As I watched the videos I was bracing myself for someone to make some complete nonsensical accusation or theory like that but they both approached it as "His gun choked,  I want to see if mine will too"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All that damn D2O ... You have to take these test for what they are.  Sample size of 1 and if you notice not every test is exactly the same.  Great entertainment value some useful information but hard to make a final judgement call on a pistol based solely on these test.  I am not getting ride of my P226 because of these test.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top