Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2016 3:39:18 AM EDT
Hey everyone. I picked up my first firearm a few weeks ago. The CZ-75 SP-01 tactical. It's amazing. By far my favorite gun and I rented and shot everything that's been popular in the last dozen years.

I am now looking for a gun to carry concealed. I am 5'11" and 140lbs. A thin, lanky guy.

I have gone back and forth between the manual of arms I'd want on a carry gun. First off, I don't know if I am particularly comfortable carrying a striker fired gun with a 5.5lb trigger and no safety. This may be an irrational fear of mine but I can only assume that having a light trigger, having no external hammer to press while reholstering, and having no external safety is less safe than DA/SA or cocked and locked.

A few people have told me that they prefer consistent triggers on carry guns and I can understand why, so I am conflicted. Striker fired seems less safe than a decocked DA/SA, but follow up shots will obviously have a different trigger weight on a DA/SA. I certainly respect both sides of the argument on this topic.

Regarding attire, I live in Florida and so the biggest I am considering would be a PCR sized handgun. I will be wearing a jacket or sweatshirt at all times when carrying.

I'm compiling a list of handguns to check out next time I am at the range. Here's what I have so far:

DA/SA:
CZ Rami 2075 D (Shot it and love it)
HK P30SK LEM
HK P30SK V3 DA/SA
CZ PCR

Striker fired:
M&P Shield
Walther PPS M2

Any input/suggestions would be much appreciated. I am fairly new to firearms and have never carried, though I have had my permit for a few months. I guess the real decision I need to make is how large of a firearm I want. If I want a compact/full sized firearm I will just buy the PCR. But I don't know if I want to go that big or that heavy, especially since I already own a SP-01 tactical. I do love the platform, though. That's for sure.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:19:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Shield 9mm. Next question.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:18:10 AM EDT
[#2]
The striker phobia goes away after you carry it for a while. Also there are no bonus points for ccw reholstering at light speed. You'll get comfortable and confident with time and practice.

Take your time and rent/borrow a bunch of pistols before you make your decision.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:27:37 AM EDT
[#3]
There's no reason to fear a striker fired gun as far as safety. You're only as safe as your practices anyway. I'd want a carry gun that's light and small, especially in a light clothing environment. Try all guns you're considering and make your choice based on what you like.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Succinct and accurate response.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Cz rami
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. The Shield 9mm has become in my opinion the quintessential single stack compact carry pistol.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Shield 9mm no external safety.

The irrational fear goes away with experience.

Striker fired is just as safe as anything else.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#8]
FPNI

I'm 5'10 162 lbs.  Doesn't print (1 o'clock carry) and I don't even know it's there.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Sigs?

P239 in .357Sig
P229 in .357Sig
P220 compact in .45acp
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Your body size/dimensions have NOTHING to do with concealment, get past that!  Good overall gun is G19!  That was TOO easy!
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Shield 9mm no external safety.

The irrational fear goes away with experience.

Striker fired is just as safe as anything else.
View Quote

This ^^ really is the answer.  However, if you would like additional safety measures look at the Springfield XD mod 2.  They add the grip safety to the system and if you pull your thumb up to the back of the slide while holstering you will release/activate that safety.  Possibly subcompact or 4 inch model
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I've shot a few striker fired guns and have disliked most of them over a hammer fired gun. I don't care what other people say, I don't like it and that is what matters. So, OP, if you don't like striker fired and you've tried a few then "f" everyone else. You're the one who has to be comfortable with it.

My 908S is scheduled to arrive Tuesday. Heavy by today's standards but I'll see what I think about it once I've had some time with it. My dad has a P239 in 40S&W and it is great. I as kind of hoping he'd gift it to some once I started looking around for something different but he didn't.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A few people have told me that they prefer consistent triggers on carry guns and I can understand why, so I am conflicted. Striker fired seems less safe than a decocked DA/SA, but follow up shots will obviously have a different trigger weight on a DA/SA. I certainly respect both sides of the argument on this topic.
View Quote

Nothing wrong with DA/SA, but there is nothing really "unsafe" with striker fired either.  The same concepts as any gun apply, don't pull the trigger unless you want to shoot.

As far as your gun choices, the only one I've fired is the Shield which I have owned since it came out.  Hard to go wrong with it unless you want something with more capacity.  If capacity is something you're chasing, the M&P 9C or even the FNS 9(full size pistol as small as a Glock 19) would suffice.

To make yourself more comfortable, you could consider an all kydex holser.  No real chance of hitting the trigger there.

example of holster type I'm talking about.  Often found <$50 on Ebay.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I have tried the following and always have come back to Glocks, they are slim and carry more rounds than their same sized competitors for the most part.  Keep in mind below is just my experience, you mileage may vary

CZ/Tanfoglio - love shooting them, I've had two P07s an SP01 and a Tanfoglio. However they are heavy and pokey for CCW
Springfiled XDS - tried two of them, the 3.3 and 4.0. Great gun but for some reason I find Sprinfield's polymer blend to be really slippery and the gun is quite heavy for its size.
Springfield XD Compact - no thanks
Bersa Thunder 380 - .380 and heavy
Kahr CW9/TP9/K9 - had em in all sizes, they carry well and were reliable for me but I just cannot get used to the LOOOOOOOOOOOONG trigger reset
HK P30/VP9 - both were fantastic actually, but why carry a nearly Glock 17 sized gun that holds less rounds?

And so now Glocks, I've had a bunch

Glock 31c - too big, too snappy, too expensive to feed (fireballs!)
Glock 22 - too big
Glock 23 - awesome carry gun
Glock 17 - too big
Glock 26 - too small
Glock 42 - way too small, see above comment about 380

Glock 19 - JUST RIGHT!

There is a reason everyone recommends it

I have had three 19s and am now carrying a Vickers Tactical and of everything I've owned it is the best. It combines all the things I love about Glocks into one package

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#15]
P30sk, both DA/SA or I personally love the LEM trigger.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, you're in Florida and only plan to CC while wearing a jacket or sweatshirt? My Shield disappears under a t-shirt, while my Glock 19 only takes slightly more effort to conceal.

If you don't like shooting striker fired guns, that's fine. But thinking they're a safety concern is irrational. Besides the trigger safety, any decent holster is also a safety. Pull your shirt clear every time you reholster and there is no additional risk.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I would recommend the Glock 19
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I am much smaller than you and can conceal a G19 easy at the 3:30 position.

Having a safety on a carry gun is a liability and a mistake, IMHO. Train to use a striker fired carry pistol such as the Glock safely, an you will be better off for it. The nonsense about riding the hammer during reholster on a hammer-fired gun is just that - nonsense.

I have a G43, but I find I carry the G19 almost exclusively. I like having 16 rounds at my disposal without having to reload.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm confused about how it is you're in FL and carry only when wearing a jacket or sweatshirt.
I'm in FL now and there's:
1) No friggin' way I'm gonna wear anything like that, and
2) No way I'm going anywhere(when legal) without one of my guns.

As far as striker vs DA/SA ? You're right and being fair with all of your considerations. Many here have already said valid things regarding the safety aspect.
It always boils down to what you shoot best. If you shoot DA/SA well there's no reason to not use them.
I carry Glocks or J-Frames. But I never could get used to a DA/SA gun. My traing and practice has always been with the same trigger squeeze every shot, whether that's SA, DA or striker fired (is that DA or SA anyway ?). It's always been the same squeeze.

Striker fired guns are just as safe as long as the shooter does their part. That means finger discipline. That also means careful and intentional re-holstering. That also means not fumbling for your gun if it's dropped. My Glock is always in a holster, even in the safe. It just stays loaded until a range day. It also means using only quality holsters.
And re-holstering...... How often do you really need to do it? In a course there is absolutely no hurry to do it and in a shooting I'm not putting it away until the police arrive and then I'm probably just dropping it not re-holstering. I don't remove my Glock from it's holster when I put it on or take it off, I take off the whole rig and put it on that way.
So if you're attentive, diligent and careful a striker fired gun can be safe use.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Like many here ive shot alot of different pistols, i own alot of different pistols, some are of the models youve mentioned.  If a first and only on that list. I say go with the shield. Take into account how its stacks up with the others for price, dependability, aftermarket support, ease of use. Its a easy winner.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Like many here ive shot alot of different pistols, i own alot of different pistols, some are of the models youve mentioned.  If a first and only on that list. I say go with the shield. Take into account how its stacks up with the others for price, dependability, aftermarket support, ease of use. Its a easy winner.
View Quote

Any opinion on the shield's safety? I wouldn't mind a safety IF I can quickly disengage it during the draw. If it's too small and stiff to disengage then I would rather have no safety. Really, I'd like something prominent like a 1911 safety but I know that there are no striker fired guns with such safeties.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#22]

If it makes you feel any better, I regularly carry a striker fired gun with 3 pound trigger pull & no safety ( Bersa BP9cc).

As long as your holster covers the trigger, you're fine.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Any opinion on the shield's safety? I wouldn't mind a safety IF I can quickly disengage it during the draw. If it's too small and stiff to disengage then I would rather have no safety. Really, I'd like something prominent like a 1911 safety but I know that there are no striker fired guns with such safeties.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a Shield with a safety.  If I were to do it over again, I would buy one without the safety.  IMO the Shield's safety is too small and "stiff" to quickly disengage while drawing.  While I'm sure this issue can be trained out, if you have the option to go without the safety I would do so.  If I carry a Shield, I do so with the safety disengaged.  

IMO, if you're looking for a safety similar to a 1911, check the S&W M&P 9C with thumb safety.  Or....just a 1911.

example pic(for the record I cut off the right side safety lever):

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:13:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Hi OP- for what it's worth to you, I carry either a G19 or a CZ 75 compact daily IWB at 4oclock, often in shorts and a loose untucked shirt. A good carry belt and quality holsters are a must.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 2:00:39 AM EDT
[#25]
The M&P Shield, Glock G43, Glock G19, HK P2000...all good reliable options. Go rent or try a few and see what you think. It's all personal preference.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 2:08:56 AM EDT
[#26]
9mm shield.

I carry mine every day, I am built a lot like you (135lbs, 5'9") and never have any problems with it. Great carry gun.

Make sure you get a good holster ( I highly recommend the Stealth Gear ONYX or their 20% thinner IWB one, amazing holsters and great company), a good holster makes all the difference in the world when carrying.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed

I will also concur that you'd be better off without the safety. I had to special order one because the LGS I went to didn't have that one in stock. Took them some convincing to the fact that it actually exists. The safety isn't great, it's not comfortable, and basically not needed IMHO. I am so glad that I got the model without the safety. FWIW.

Also, I put the rubber textured FALCON adhesive grip on mine. I wasn't sure how I'd like it but I am beyond impressed. I feel like I have much more control with my draw, especially when it's raining or sweating. You can find them on Amazon for about $18. They have a sand paper type textured one too if that's more your comfort level. I recommend them but some people don't like them. If installed correctly it works great.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1.
Keep in mind how comfortably you can carry will sometimes trump capacity as if you feel uncomfortable/pain carrying your gun, you will start leaving it home once the novelty has worn off.
7 round in a gun you always carry trumps 12-15 round in a gun sitting home in a drawer/safe.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I think the HKp2000sk is a little slimmer and smaller than the p30sk, so you may want to give that a look as well. I know some HK guys that prefer the p2000sk over the p30sk for concealed carry. Of the ones you listed though, the Shield is a solid option. It is reliable, accurate enough, small enough, and not very expensive. It has tremendous aftermarket support. I haven't met many people that dislike the Shield. I'm a Glock guy and my EDC is a Glock 26, but I still own a Shield and really like it. I have the one with a safety, but would prefer one without. It really doesn't bother me that bad, I can leave the safety off and forget that it is there.

ETA: Regarding, safety/no safety, and DA/SA vs striker fired, it really doesn't matter, pick what you like and train with it. You can train to do well on a DA/SA if that is what you really want and really shoot well, but the honest truth is that it is easier to learn a striker fired gun. There is a reason that it comes so highly recommended. For the record my preference goes like this: Striker no safety > DA/SA no safety > safety.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I carry a Kahr P9 in my com-tac daily and I love it.
I grabbed a G19 and few months ago and while a little bigger, it is not too big to carry.

I carry the G19 if I am going across town or going to the movies. I feel a little safer with the bigger gun. Call me crazy but it's how I feel. Lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top