Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2016 2:55:53 PM EDT
Im in the market for a new pocket pistol. I have heard that Ruger has improved the trigger pull length from the older LCP's. How do the newer LCP's stack up against the current M&P Bodyguards? I owned one of the earlier bodyguards, but is the newer M&P version any different besides its appearance?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
$200 lcp ftw
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I would go with the bodyguard, better materials, better features, and better build quality. I had one and it was head and shoulders above the LCP and KelTec P3AT, but I sold it as it was still a disappointing pistol compared to my current P238.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:04:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I recently bought a Sig P938 9MM single action which is a sweet carry  gun.It was NIB with 2 holsters, 2 pairs of grips,and 500 rds of hollow point and factory night sights..
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I shot an LCP and I wasn't impressed.  I would find other options like maybe a Glock .380
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Gen 1 LCP - Avoid.  The trigger pull is ridiculous.
Gen 2 LCP or the LCP Custom - MUCH better.  Trigger pull is reasonable and you can actually shoot it more than a couple of times without getting a cramp in your hand.
Bodyguard  - The most recent one I tried out, the trigger was a little more gritty than I would have expected.  The LCP felt better in hand too (may be personal preference).

Right now I am looking to ditch my worthless Gen 1 LCP and find an LCP Custom.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Gen 2 LCP or the LCP Custom - MUCH better.  Trigger pull is reasonable and you can actually shoot it more than a couple of times without getting a cramp in your hand.

Bodyguard  - The most recent one I tried out, the trigger was a little more gritty than I would have expected.  The LCP felt better in hand too (may be personal preference).
View Quote
I agree if you go LCP get the gen 2 or custom.

I tried out a my brother's LCP gen 2. Not bad with the hogue grips he had on it. I wasn't as accurate as my j frame but I feel like with some practice I could be almost as good.

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Love my mnp bodyguard. Very accurate once u get used to the trigger!
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:19:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Enjoy my m&p bg380 without laser. Have over 1000 rounds through it and not a single issue. Trigger not a problem for me but is long like most mention.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:24:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I like my Bodyguard but only after I installed the Galloway trigger kit that reduced the pull to something bearable. Stock it was so very very long I couldn't hit a barn with it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 8:22:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I had an early LCP... trigger felt like a staple gun.
I had a P3AT... it's trigger was actually better than the LCP, but it was still pretty bad.
I have a Bodyguard 380, sights are small but useable, mags are much better than either of the prior, trigger isn't matchgrade but it is very usable.

I may try a newer LCP out if I run across one, but I'm very happy with the Bodyguard 380 for a tiny pocket 380.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Body Guard without the laser
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#12]
If you are set on a 9 mm, the Glock 43.

If you want a "pocket" pistol, the Glock 42. It just disappears into your pocket.

Either of these pistols can handle everyday shooting, unlike the others you are asking about.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can make your gen 1 into a gen2 trigger. Well before the gen2 had you changed the spring and trigger to the "sweetpea" trigger you would have found it made a huge difference. I did it on mine and put the houge grip on it and while its not a target 1911, its far better then its out of box version. 8rds of 380 on tap in that small a pocket gun is still hard to beat. And there's a reason all pocket guns are crap to shoot when compared to our favorite full size gun. The reason is THEY ARE POCKET GUNS!
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I recently sold my gen1 LCP for a gen2. I love it. It's not a "shooter" it's a very good,VERY small pocket gun. It does exactly what it is supposed to. If I choose not to carry my Glock for whatever reason,the LCP goes in the pocket.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I have really enjoyed my sccy cpx 2 . Sub compact  with double stack mags. Of the two you mentioned  I would go with the bodyguard.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
$200 lcp ftw
View Quote

this, I fucking LOVE my LCP

I'm a little older so I remember what mouse guns were like back in the day. I can't believe how sweet it shoots a .380 round which was impossible to do in such a small package 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I have several Gen 1 Ruger LCPs.   Mine run between 6.5 and 7 pounds of pull on the trigger.   (I also have 3 Kel Tec P3ATs and 2 AMT BackUps from the 80's. We have it very good today.)
The Glock 42 is a better shooting pistol as it is bigger and has better sights.   But, several in the family including me find it to be too big for a pocket gun.    That will vary a lot depending on the size of the person, and the clothes worn.
The Glock 43 is a great gun.   But, again, while it is comfortable to shoot, I found the need was for a smaller 9 before the 43 came out.  
For a compact 9, I go with a Kahr PM9.    Besides, I have 1 G35, 3 G22s, 1 G23, 2 G27s, and 1 G17.      I was really hoping for a ultra compact 9 with which no one else could compete.   That did not happen. Still, the G43 is a good gun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Just bought one of those 200 dollar PSA LCP's. No complaints so far.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 6:52:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Even though a little pricier, I went with the BodyGuard(non laser) and have no regrets at all. It has better sights, a slide lock, safety if you care to use it, locks back on empty mag and overall just seems better built to me. I shoot mine pretty well, and carry it a good bit. The trigger is still long, but with practice it is an accurate little gun.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I recently bought a Sig P938 9MM single action which is a sweet carry  gun.It was NIB with 2 holsters, 2 pairs of grips,and 500 rds of hollow point and factory night sights..
View Quote

This.

Great trigger.  Well-managed recoil.  Very compact.

Oh yeah... NOT .380.

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#21]
LCP gen 2 or a gen 1 with an aftermarket trigger.  

Also get the Wolff 13lb recoil spring. It makes shooting the LCP almost fast and fun. Almost.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Can you get rid of the lcp false trigger reset with aftermarket parts?
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
What is the purpose of this modification?  You should not be milking the trigger.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

What is the purpose of this modification?  You should not be milking the trigger.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A proper trigger reset has nothing to do with "milking the trigger". If you follow through on your trigger properly you release until you get a positive reset. The false reset on the lcp is slightly annoying.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 12:19:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

A proper trigger reset has nothing to do with "milking the trigger". If you follow through on your trigger properly you release until you get a positive reset. The false reset on the lcp is slightly annoying.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're right.  Milking the trigger isn't the right phrase.  What I am basically saying is that careful trigger manipulation doesn't matter with the LCP.  

Following through properly on this gun is meaningless in an accurate shooting sense.  They are pocket guns for about 15 yards distance at most.  Have you ever tried shooting an LCP accurately at 25 yards?  It is almost impossible because of how small they are.

If you are firing quickly do not impede and pay no attention to the trigger reset, just let the trigger go forward on its own.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#26]
A S&W J-Frame.

.38+P > .380

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:53:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I see where you are coming from but it's just a habit to release until I feel a click. It's not a big deal, but if an aftermarket trigger fixes that it would be an improvement to me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:22:43 PM EDT
[#28]
LCP/P3AT is much lighter and smaller than a 38 snub nose, and they have a much flatter profile.

I often carry a 38 in a front vest/jacket pocket to fire from the pocket.   (No draw)

I carry a LCP in a rear pocket for offering my wallet up.

I also carry either a Glock G22 or G27 with these.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm going to say neither and suggest the Taurus TCP.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:07:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Just shot my $200 lcp today...I really enjoy that little pistol. It took about 150 rounds to get over a few hiccups and has since been reliable through the next 400 or so. I added the hogue grip to it. Makes it much more enjoyable to shoot even if it adds some bulk.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:40:47 AM EDT
[#31]
LCP
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Sold my Gen one because of the trigger and snappy recoil. It was no fun to shoot. The newest ones are reputedly better but it takes actually trying them out to know. The internet is nothing more than a barometer of popularity most of the time.

The Bodyguard reviews I read asserted the trigger pull was 12 pounds, some claim less. It's one of the few pocket guns that an aftermarket supplier offered a new trigger bar to get it down to 8 pounds, and they sold out.

For me, trigger pull is the the first priority, second, a slide hold open. No sense finding out you have an empty chamber when you needed it to fire. I want to know the gun is empty and needs another mag. The LCP will not tell you and if you are in a situation using it other than the range most will tell you they are too busy with other matters to count rounds. The next issue is whether the gun is reasonably pleasant to shoot. I could barely tolerate two mags thru the LCP. S&W, don't know.

I tried out some others but it came down to a good trigger, slide hold open, and a gun known to be a comfortable range shooter. If you don't practice you can't be familiar with its operation and sight alignment. You have to shoot it to get it down, same as any other gun. Fighting the gun or accepting it will sit in your pocket with almost no familiarity isn't good.

I bought a Kahr CW380 and got the best DA trigger on the market, a slide hold open to reload more quickly without racking it every single time, and a gun with a Browning type barrel action with makes it  fun to shoot - so I do. Seems like no brainer points but the internet is full of arguments for other guns.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#33]
LCP.  Not sure what generation it is.  For its intended purpose its works fine.  I have been pleasantly surprised by its accuracy.  Gun is far more pleasant to shoot that I was expecting.  Never noticed any faint reset issues.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sold my Gen one because of the trigger and snappy recoil. It was no fun to shoot. The newest ones are reputedly better but it takes actually trying them out to know. The internet is nothing more than a barometer of popularity most of the time.

The Bodyguard reviews I read asserted the trigger pull was 12 pounds, some claim less. It's one of the few pocket guns that an aftermarket supplier offered a new trigger bar to get it down to 8 pounds, and they sold out.

For me, trigger pull is the the first priority, second, a slide hold open. No sense finding out you have an empty chamber when you needed it to fire. I want to know the gun is empty and needs another mag. The LCP will not tell you and if you are in a situation using it other than the range most will tell you they are too busy with other matters to count rounds. The next issue is whether the gun is reasonably pleasant to shoot. I could barely tolerate two mags thru the LCP. S&W, don't know.

I tried out some others but it came down to a good trigger, slide hold open, and a gun known to be a comfortable range shooter. If you don't practice you can't be familiar with its operation and sight alignment. You have to shoot it to get it down, same as any other gun. Fighting the gun or accepting it will sit in your pocket with almost no familiarity isn't good.

I bought a Kahr CW380 and got the best DA trigger on the market, a slide hold open to reload more quickly without racking it every single time, and a gun with a Browning type barrel action with makes it  fun to shoot - so I do. Seems like no brainer points but the internet is full of arguments for other guns.
View Quote

How many rounds do you have through that pistol?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Local gun store has the LCP for $200.00. Then they had the LCP pro or custom not sure what they called it for $219.00. This one had better sights and a red aluminum trigger. The guy behind the counter said they changed the trigger and also the springs and such making it a better trigger than the other LCP. Was not looking to buy just saw the two different models and asked what the difference was. So if your looking for the LCP also check out the one with the red trigger.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:18:57 AM EDT
[#36]
So far 50 rounds of steel cased Monarch and I didn't clean it - straight out of the box. No FTF or FTE's, some failure to slide lock but it's not brass SD ammo either. Those always locked back firing another 24.

I plan to continue the experiment and I haven't cleaned it yet, and won't.

The mags are much easier to load than a P938 and shooting the box of 50 was fun, which is something I can't say the LCP was. For a gun that weighs within half an oz and is only fractionally different in most dimensions it's far more pleasant to shoot and just as easy to carry. Mag Guts makes a Plus 1 spring and follower kit to get 7 rounds in and I've yet to read of anyone having issues with it, plus you get a metal cartridge follower which does seem to mitigate some issues with lower powered rounds and the stock plastic follower.

I got another mag so now I can start practicing changing it with the slide locked back, which should speed things up if needed. I believe slide locks are far more important that we give them credit for. I used to challenge AK owners to try this compared to the AR - ten magazines loaded one round each on a table set a foot apart, load the first one and continue firing for time and accuracy at a target 25m away. For the most part an AR will soundly defeat the AK even with new shooters - because you don't have to load against the pressure of the mag spring column against the bolt or be forced to rack the slide to chamber a round.

I would put up any auto pistol with slide hold open against those with none in the same test and then let shooters choose which they prefer. It also goes to not being able to rack a gun with a stiff recoil spring - which is known to help reduce the affect of recoil and temper it. The Kahr doesn't have a light spring but in reality I don't care - every mag after the first I won't rack it. The LCP? Every mag you rack it. Over and over. No thanks. It's an impediment to practice and an obstacle in self defense.

Professional grade guns have slide hold opens.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#37]
There is a reason the Kahr 380s aren't recommended often.

I hope you have better luck than I did with mine. Maybe you will. Mine wouldn't feed two consecutive rounds out of the box but it sounds like you got a good one.

Kahr customer service was rude and didn't care about my problem with a 5 day old pistol. They stated they would do me a favor by replacing my out of the box bent recoil spring at no cost, after I pressed the issue. They wouldn't pay to ship the pistol back to fix it. There is more to the story...suffice it to say Ill never buy another Kahr.

I highly recommend putting a lot more rounds through that pistol before trusting your life to it.

If you run into any issues feel free to IM me for help resolving your issues as Ive been all through mine performing many fixes. Mine seems to be working fine now, actually better than new as it will feed any ammo I feed it unlike straight from the factory where they are super picky about what ammo will work.

I agree they would be the pocket 380 to have if they were reliable since they have so many attributes making them better than all the other 380s (IMO), but they just aren't reliable.
I could sugar coat it and say its the best pocket 380 there is, but the reality is Kahr's QC sucks and its going to get someone killed that doesn't know their pistol isn't reliable.
I hope you take my suggestion to put a lot more rounds through it to be sure yours is working, and with which ammo works, and that there are no underlying hidden issues like broken mag follower or weak recoil spring etc.
If the gun starts jamming pay attention to which round in the mag it was. First and last are the most common and have different causes.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm one of the very few that like the Gen 1 for it's 100% snag free sights. IMO they should all be like this, just with the "custom" trigger...in black. I haven't felt strongly enough about it to try to dump my first gen for a newer one. But I might look into finding out if it can be retrofit with the newer trigger.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Even though a little pricier, I went with the BodyGuard(non laser) and have no regrets at all. It has better sights, a slide lock, safety if you care to use it, locks back on empty mag and overall just seems better built to me. I shoot mine pretty well, and carry it a good bit. The trigger is still long, but with practice it is an accurate little gun.
View Quote

There is now a no-safety variant of the M&P Bodyguard .380. That would be my pick of the two OP mentioned. I like the slide hold open after the last round. Magguts also makes a kit to bring the magazine capacity up to 7 rounds.

Another fantastic option is the Kahr P380/CW380. It is more expensive, though. The magazines approach Sig prices!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If you are set on a 9 mm, the Glock 43.

If you want a "pocket" pistol, the Glock 42. It just disappears into your pocket.

Either of these pistols can handle everyday shooting, unlike the others you are asking about.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:30:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There is a reason the Kahr 380s aren't recommended often.

I hope you have better luck than I did with mine. Maybe you will. Mine wouldn't feed two consecutive rounds out of the box but it sounds like you got a good one.

Kahr customer service was rude and didn't care about my problem with a 5 day old pistol. They stated they would do me a favor by replacing my out of the box bent recoil spring at no cost, after I pressed the issue. They wouldn't pay to ship the pistol back to fix it. There is more to the story...suffice it to say Ill never buy another Kahr.

I highly recommend putting a lot more rounds through that pistol before trusting your life to it.

If you run into any issues feel free to IM me for help resolving your issues as Ive been all through mine performing many fixes. Mine seems to be working fine now, actually better than new as it will feed any ammo I feed it unlike straight from the factory where they are super picky about what ammo will work.

I agree they would be the pocket 380 to have if they were reliable since they have so many attributes making them better than all the other 380s (IMO), but they just aren't reliable.
I could sugar coat it and say its the best pocket 380 there is, but the reality is Kahr's QC sucks and its going to get someone killed that doesn't know their pistol isn't reliable.
I hope you take my suggestion to put a lot more rounds through it to be sure yours is working, and with which ammo works, and that there are no underlying hidden issues like broken mag follower or weak recoil spring etc.
If the gun starts jamming pay attention to which round in the mag it was. First and last are the most common and have different causes.

View Quote

You're not the first person to report a negative experience with Kahr. That's one of the reasons I decided to sell mine. Sad. It seems like a good design, but customer support should be integral to choosing a pistol. The Glock 42 really is an excellent .380 as others have recommended, OP. I just don't know if it meets your criteria for a pocket pistol.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#42]
IF I were to get a LCP it would only be the Custom.

Had a Bodyguard, the trigger was not very good IMO. I could inconsistently ring steel at 50yds with it though.

I currently carry a Glock 42 as my pocket carry. Rides in a Glock 26 Galco pocket holster in my back pocket. Love it. I can shoot a perfect CPOST with it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Local gun store has the LCP for $200.00. Then they had the LCP pro or custom not sure what they called it for $219.00. This one had better sights and a red aluminum trigger. The guy behind the counter said they changed the trigger and also the springs and such making it a better trigger than the other LCP. Was not looking to buy just saw the two different models and asked what the difference was. So if your looking for the LCP also check out the one with the red trigger.
View Quote

Do try both, in the manner you carry and draw.   I find the P3AT and LCP to be super slick guns to draw.   I have found the enhanced sights to hand or grab on pockets.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#44]
A slide stop on a primary combat auto is nice, but if it is required, guess we can throw out all revolvers and autos with a European mag catch.

Then again,  i usually don't carry a gun.   More often than not, I carry 2 or 3.   I carry small guns as "get off me" guns and to beat a trouble maker at a draw.  We'd probably both have guns "drawn" before most people knew what was happening.   My LCR can be fired from the pocket.   Then, I transition to a G22/35 with 6 spare mags.  

I chose the P3AT and LCPs over the Kahr 380 for being a better gun for me to clear a front  or back pocket.

YMMV

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm one of the very few that like the Gen 1 for it's 100% snag free sights. IMO they should all be like this, just with the "custom" trigger...in black. I haven't felt strongly enough about it to try to dump my first gen for a newer one. But I might look into finding out if it can be retrofit with the newer trigger.
View Quote

I'm right there with you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I currently carry a Glock 42 as my pocket carry. Rides in a Glock 26 Galco pocket holster in my back pocket. Love it. I can shoot a perfect CPOST with it.
View Quote

The Glock 42 and 43 are great shooting guns.     If they fit a person's size and lifestyle, they are the way too go.

They are too big and heavy for me.   I've gone with the P3AT/LCP and the Kahr PM9.    I  have been lucky with the PM9.    But, it isn't close to being the gun the LCP is ... for me.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:20:00 AM EDT
[#47]
LCP over the Bodyguard .380 any day...

With that said I would take a J-Frame .38 over either auto for a "pocket gun"

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:26:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Yeah I agree, Ruger LCP is better than the Bodyguard. But my favorite pocket gun is a S&W 642 38 Special.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:23:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Had a non-laser Bodyguard. An "upgrade" for my flawlessly running P3AT.  Great sights and was softer shooting than the P3AT.  Trigger on the BG was terrible, was also prone to frequent light primer strikes and the last round lockback failed most of the time.  The tiny, painfull, but flawlessly running Keltec stays in my pocket.  

The LCP is Ruger's copy of the Keltec and the last two Rugers I've purchased (LC9s SR22) are quality little rigs.

Buy the Ruger, the Keltec cousin or the G42.  The G42 is as soft a shooting .380 I've shot.  Hope to get a deal on one some day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top