BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#1]
One officer per shift?

Crazy

Thank God I don't work for an agency that small.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Feds are known for burning free ammo.  If you were industrious at it, a normal 8-9 formal shoots per year could use up 2100 rounds.  4-5 of the training days were all day.  4 indoor usually in the winter.

If lazy, and did the minimum, it took half that ammo every year, like it or not.  Most folks learned to shoot fairly well.

This does not count practicing on your own.  That would be extra.  I shot as much on my own as I ever did at the formal training days.

Transitition to a new system was 3-400 rounds just to learn the controls.

The square butt 66 had 35,000 rounds through it and was just rebuilt for the third time.  That's just one gun.
View Quote

I hear you. I have about 50,000 rds through the G21 I carried for a long time and everyone looks at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that. They just can't comprehend shooting that much. The vast majority of it was on my own time. I just don't get it. I'll freely grant that in the normal course of things, guns are a very small part of LE. However, if you need it, you REALLY need it, right fucking now! You'd think that would sink in and that they would go out and burn at least 500 or so rounds per year. But no, most won't do anything more than the bare minimum.

Ohio changed the qualification course a few years ago. Before, it was 60 rds, IIRC. Now, its a measly 25 rds/year with your duty gun, 8 rds/yr with your backup/off duty gun. We always run the course twice, for a whopping 50 rds/year. Nowhere near enough to maintain basic competency, let alone actually get good. Pisses me off, but the admin refuses to allow me to schedule more. And yes, I've saved the memos from the admin so at least try and cover my own ass regarding training if one of my guys has to use their gun and shoots an innocent bystander or something. Ammo costs aren't the issue, wages and over time are. Hell, I've offered to be at the range on days off if anyone wants to come shoot or to help out anyone that needs it. As soon as they find out that they have to provide their own ammo, they refuse to come out.

Bub75
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One officer per shift?

Crazy

Thank God I don't work for an agency that small.
View Quote

Yep, 1 Officer/shift for a town of about 4800 people. Gets hairy sometimes. And that's why we are considered to be on call 24/7 and why I try to carry guns that I feel comfortable with in the event I get called out. Everyone has called for help before at some point and I'd hate to have to run into something like an active shooter with just a J Frame DAO snubbie.

Bub75
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top