Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2002 9:29:54 AM EDT
Anybody else getting emails with the Klez virus attached? Seems like I'm getting several of these a day now. I scan all attachments so I haven't been infected. With a little amateur sleuthing it looks like whoever is sending these got my email from gun boards. A left wing conspiracy?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
You can't tell to much about that one since it carries its own mail agent and can change the to and from on a random basis. But there is a lot of it going around.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have received it twice this month but Norton has stopped cold both times

Same here, only I've gotten it twice in the last 2 days.

Jamie
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#4]
well guys , i need some help on this one!  i have very little computer knowledge, and no anti virus. i don't even know what norton is!
i have however been getting a lot of emails that i just delete.   yesterday it said  "sandalwood"
before that "welcome to my city"    another said   "this is my first game" hope you enjoy it!
does any of this sound like yours?
i just dont open emails from someone i do not know. they all had attachments
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#6]
yes i got one yesterday that said "honey" in the subject!  so we must be the targets.  i only surf this board, and the other one" wink , wink"  you know!!   where you have to say   "bampy cob" or you will be edited!

i will take your advice and get the anti virus in the morning.   the "honey" email was ether yesterday or the day before!   so im glad you said that.   thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll 2nd what Aimless said. YOU NEED an antivirus program ASAP. I used to use McAfee and for some reason decided that I wanted to try Nortons, well even though I kept the virus definitions up-to-date with Mcafee, I found a couple for viruses with the Nortons. No matter which one you decide to use, it will be alot better than using nothing at all.

edited to say: What ever you use, ensure that it scans both incoming e-mail as well as out-going.

Jamie
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 3:43:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
yes i got one yesterday that said "honey" in the subject!  so we must be the targets.  i only surf this board, and the other one" wink , wink"  you know!!   where you have to say   "bampy cob" or you will be edited!

i will take your advice and get the anti virus in the morning.   the "honey" email was ether yesterday or the day before!   so im glad you said that.   thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please get two programs. First you need to get a good anti-virus program and also get a good firewall program.

Here's why. Many of todays viruses will come to you frome someone you know.

Your machine can be used by a BG without your knowledge unles you protect parts that are not protected by default.

Once you get these programs, update them at least once every week.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#9]
as far as a fire wall goes, i have a linksys etherfast cable/dsl router hooked up to the output of my toshiba cable modem.
 is the router also a firewall????
i was told it was but im not for sure.
i will buy the norton anti  this afternoon.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2002 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
as far as a fire wall goes, i have a linksys etherfast cable/dsl router hooked up to the output of my toshiba cable modem.
 is the router also a firewall????
i was told it was but im not for sure.
i will buy the norton anti  this afternoon.  

Yeah, the etherfast acts as a NAT firewall.  Now that won't keep viruses out, it will just keep people from getting in who shouldn't get in, and hopefully keep some things from going out that shouldn't go out.  It won't stop you from executing a virus and infecting yourself.

The thing about NAT firewall is that it is kind of using sleight of hand to protect you, hiding your real address from the outside world.  POTENTIALLY someone could figure it out, but the odds are low and it's pretty unimportant a factor unless you're running some pretty important stuff.

For the best in firewalls, look for ones that include "stateful packet inspection." That means that the firewall looks at each incoming and outgoing packet and says, "should you be coming/going through here?"

For a list of awesome firewall technology, I'd reccomend heading to:
www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/firewalls/certification/rxvendors/index.shtml
The ICSA certified firewall solutions are pretty tough, and some aren't too terribly expensive (especially the Sonicwall SOHO)

That being said, I'm sitting behind an etherfast as I speak, as I understand they work well enough... and anything that I really care about keeping secret is 1024 bit PGP encrypted.

Viper Out
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 4:45:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I keep getting the Klez Virus on my Ar-15.com email addy But it stops it every time.
That is the only email services I use. I dont use the one that comes with my ISP.

Another reason to be a Team Member
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:44:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top