Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2002 5:50:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:52:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, when the pistol goes on, so does at least one reload.  When I order a new holser, I almost always order a complete rig, considing of a holster, belt and at least one matching mag pouch or 2x2x2 ammo carrier if for a revolver.  
I also tend to carry a Surefire or other light and a folding knife along with the firearm/spare ammo.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I ALWAYS carried a reload, except when prohibited by my employer (and sometimes even then).
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I teach my CCW students to always carry a spare reload. This is not because they are likely to get in a protracted fight.

In the case of revolvers it is due to their limited capacity. It's nice to be able to re-charge the cylinder before leaving the area (or standing your ground) to call for help.

In addition to the above rational applying to semiautos, there is also the problem of the magazine failing (floor plates breaking or being knocked off) which I have seen. Without a spare magazine you now have a difficult to load, single shot.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

In addition to the above rational applying to semiautos, there is also the problem of the magazine failing (floor plates breaking or being knocked off) which I have seen. Without a spare magazine you now have a difficult to load, single shot.

Saw that happen to a deputy once, he fell/dove for cover and the base plate on the magazine of his 18 shot Steyr pistol struck the concrete
parking barrier and broke and dumped all the rounds in the magazine, (while we were taking fire).

For those so interested, Tony Kanaley at Milt Sparks has redesigned his mag pouch and also his 6P carrier, so that the belt loop is much lower on the pouch, causing the pouch to ride higher above the belt and not be as likely to show with short waisted ( i.e. -jeans) jackets.
I am sitting here comparing an older pouch of his for a single stack 9mm mag and a new one for a Kahr 9mm mag and the new one rides about an inch to an inch and a quarter higher.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Murphy's law dictates that a spare mag should be carried always.

Section 2, sub-section 3, paragraph 2

"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#10]
When I carry my Colt 45 I like to have two spare mags. With three 8rd mags + one in the hole this gives me 25rds total. I would never like to need this many rounds but I really like to do tactical mag changes so my gun is always full. Even if you have only had one badguy to deal with its a good idea to re-charge the gun to max capacity in case more bandits are on the way. If my mags held 12+ rounds each i'd probably only carry one though.

Also it never hurts to have a spare mag (or two) in case something crappy happens to the one in the gun, like the floorplate falling out or a mag that won't feed.

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I am a perfect shot, only one round in the chamber with no clip
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:54:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 4:45:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep, the knife is like the flashlight...it's a TOOL first, any other use is secondary
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:14:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I do not get over here as often as I should so if this has been answered before.........

Those of you who carry concealed, tell me about mags.  Do you carry extra(s)?  How?  Always?

With the 32 Seecamp, I have 3 extra mags in cool weather (jacket). In warmer weather 1 extra. As for full size. 1911's I carry three extra, Walther P88, two extra. Smith M13, two extra speed loaders.  Sh!t I would hate to be out of ammo!
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#17]
2 spare mags for every handgun on/with me, bare minimum. Always.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Usually two spares. That means 18 total with a revolver, 21 or so with single stack pistols or up to a total of 52 rounds out the door with my BHPs.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 1:05:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I've only recently started carrying an extra magazine.  I finally got around to completing my rig.  I definitely think it's a good idea to carry a reload.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member - www.nra.org
GOA Life Member - www.gunowners.org
SAF Supporter - www.saf.org
SAS Supporter - www.sas-aim.org

Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Always carry at least one spare, two would be better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top