Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2002 3:32:55 PM EDT
I read not to oil it. Do you just wipe it with a silicone cloth. Or is it best to just wipe the nickle off with a clean cloth? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#1]
A very clean cloth as nickel "spider webs" easily. (tiny scratches) And do not leave most bore cleaners on it, as it attacks nickel, or so Ive heard.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#2]
ask your local Pimp.

Sorry but it had to be said.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Aw c'mon, Storm, to me, nothing is more pleasing to the eye(gunwise)as a nickeled K or N frame Smith...ask any ho.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, the main reason to oil the exterior is to prevent rust.  Nickel won't rust so you don't need to oil it.  Feel free to wax it if you just have to have some kind of finish on it.  I've used Johnson's paste wax with great results.

You should avoid exposing the nickel to copper solvents of any sort, as many nickel plated finishes are laid down over a copper base.  This means ammonia especially.  Even Hoppe's #9 has been known to damage nickel finishes.

Nickel finishes are somewhat softer than bluing, so they will scratch a bit easier.  You can usually polish out any discoloration with Flitz or some other very fine metal abrasive paste.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the pleasure of walking one of my guns through the nickel process, the copper plated gun looked cool the way it was, like a new penny. I knew it would have tarnished so we finished it up. (Ruger MKI) Back then all there was were blue ones. Then had another one hard chromed, which also turned out nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top