Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2003 6:52:34 PM EDT
I have been looking into getting one of these for a while. While there are several different kinds, and I know shit, I come here for help.

Looking for:

forged frame (if available)
High to excellent quality
standard parts compatability
good to excellent accuracy
decent to great finish
easily customized (if possible)

Preferably in that order, or as many of those attributes as possible.

TIA
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#1]
To me, the Browning MKIII is the ultimate.  But thats just me.

Some of the Argentine surplus guns are nice looking.  Im still waiting to see one of the Charles Daly Hi-Powers, they look GREAT.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I forgot to add, LINKS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

to for sale ads or anything, so I know I am looking at the right thing.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Charles Daly
SOG
FN

SOG has the Argie HPs.  FN is importing HP MKIIIs now, but Ive heard rumors that Browning will be bringing them back eventually.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Avoid anything made by Charles Daly.

Go buy a copy of Gun List newspaper at a bookstore such as Barnes & Noble. It'll have ads for both new & used HPs.

Also check Ky Imports web site, they sometimes have them.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 3:57:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out www.fnhipower.com
Go to Forums
They have a Hi-Power for Sale section.
The site is a great source of Hi-Power info

Good Luck
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Tell you what, buy me a SAR1 and i'll send you an Argie BHP kinda like this one, with LOTS of 13rds mags.

INTERESTED?
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA.
OUT.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#7]
What if I said I was looking into getting a Arcus 94 as a starter BHP, and if I like it, I will get a MKIII?

Sound like a good idea?
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What if I said I was looking into getting a Arcus 94 as a starter BHP, and if I like it, I will get a MKIII?

You won't get the accuracy that you'd get with a Browning. There's used models out there, they seem to be slow on the market due to their full size.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 11:10:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a Browning "Made in Belgium Assembled in Portugal" Hi-power.  I suggest the Practical model.  Remove the mag safety, polish the trigger and get some KRD 17rd mags here for $19.99. You'll have a great single action pistol for about $650.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Personally, I like the quality of the old Hi-Powers with the internal extractor.  The carefully milled grooves in the sear lever axis pin and the fit to the slide are fine pieces of the gunmakers art, and work like that is seldom seen today at any price.  

I have read that the new roll pinned extractors are more reliable, but they lack that sign of expensive machining.

The fit and finish of those old pre and post WWII pistols is just fantastic.  And no holes drilled through the slide.

A WWII Nazi occupation FN High Power is a nice collectors piece if you can get an unmodified original.

If you have to have a more modern version, the "Made in Belgium" rollmark has a cachet.  

As close as you can get to it on a budget are the Argies, but strip it and examine it closely before you leave the gunshop.  Look for porosity holes in the receiver and frame, and excessive machine marks in the slide.

Also, call a reputable Hi-Power gunsmith like "Cylinder and Slide" and see if they are willing to do a trigger job on that particular model.  If they say no, find a real Belgium/Portugal pistol.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Mbsk01, if you want to but an Arcus go ahead. Why? I own 5 Brownings, one argentine/Browning hybred, one FEG, and one Arcus. Of the last three I really like the Arcus. There are only three things it needs: better sights, trigger job, and nice sights. The same can be said of most High-Powers. Regards, Richard
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 3:40:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Mbsk01, if you want to but an Arcus go ahead. Why? I own 5 Brownings, one argentine/Browning hybred, one FEG, and one Arcus. Of the last three I really like the Arcus. There are only three things it needs: better sights, trigger job, and nice sights. The same can be said of most High-Powers. Regards, Richard

OK, are you trying tell me that they need better sights????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top