Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 4:31:26 PM EDT
Opinions wanted on the India-made HP (supposedly Inglis copy), as sold by SOG.
SOG sales lady told me these were new, not surplus.
A picture would be appreciated.
TIA,
LT

P.S. Saw a thread posted earlier re. surplus Indian HPs. Have to agreee with the general assessment about quality, having bought a set of India-made wrenches. They seem to have been made from melted-down coathangers. Still, for a country with a billion people and with nuclear weapons since 1974, they have to be capable of making a decent pistol.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Ingles Mk1 copy. New production, mine has 2001 date on grips. Marked Indian Ordinance Factory  MK1A 9mm Para. Park'd over a matte surface actualy a pretty good looking military pistol.  Fixed sites with a "barleycorn" front post .Came in "tupperware" case with a very through instruction manual. Interiors were clean with no gross machining or tool marks. Very good trigger even for a HP, long pull but crisp release. Better looking gun than many of the other military handguns i've owned and fired.  Given the long association of the Indian military with the British I think it's a good bet that this weapon and it's factory are up to stuff in the QA dept.
Haven't had it to the range yet but I'm confident it will preform well.. And it's gotta be better looking that those cruddy painted FM's.or the sloppy FEG's.  Sorry no pic

Ditto on those Indian tools....

MB

EDIT 2/4 Range Report.

139 rounds later and I'm very pleased. 100 rounds of WW 115 gn FMJ shot to point of aim at 21 ft 30 ft and 50 ft.  I painted the front site with a dab of white out to increase contrast and it worked well. Sights lined up quick and clear .No hammer bite (ring hammer) I have small fleshy hands which is one of the reasons I like the HP, it fits.  147 gn Silvertips were VERY accurate 2 mags later and the x ring wasn't there at 21 ft. the 115 gn Silvertips shot quite well at 21 and 30 ft as well. NO failures to feed ( I had polished the bbl ramp). No problems of any sort. Is the gun worth $299. You bet!.
  Post range cleaning, showed contact surfaces starting to "shoot in" and trigger pull seemed better as well. Fired brass was in good shape even with the very positive ejection.  Double taps were quick and easy.. the 115 gn Silvertips had the most muzzleflip but nothing unreasonable given that this is a full size all steel weapon.

MB
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Update:

Called SOG to order one, they were sold out.

At the SHOT show, I chatted about the pistol with Eric of PW Arms, the importer. He said - production costs in India are too high, there will be no more. He also said that PW Arms owns the tooling, and may consider moving it elsewhere to restart making them.

LT
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Does anyone know if parts are interchangable with Browning or other clone's . I like the grip and want something that will be able to shoot many rds .

Do all High Power Mags fit each other . I looked at a Browning it has some "funky" spring on the bottom of the Mag ?????

Between the Charles Daily H P and Indian HP which is better ?

All help is much appeciated
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Does anyone know if parts are interchangable with Browning or other clone's . I like the grip and want something that will be able to shoot many rds .

Do all High Power Mags fit each other . I looked at a Browning it has some "funky" spring on the bottom of the Mag ?????

Between the Charles Daily H P and Indian HP which is better ?

All help is much appeciatedhr

Rock -

Browning and clone parts are usually interchangeable. Arcus, especially, has a reputation for being identical. Hungarian models (KBI, Daly) less so. Israeli Kareem seems to be a faithful copy.

All HPs will take same magazines. The new Browning "mousetrap" magazines are nice, they eject magazines violently. This makes fast reloads possible even if you keep the magazine disconnect safety. I use Mec-Gar (Browning OEM) and old 15-round RamLine magazines, both types work well.

Charles Daly HPs have prettier finish (high polish blue) than the parkerized Indian pistols. Also, the Daly guns are MKIII copies, where the Indian guns are the old WWII Inglis copies.

LT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top