Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2002 3:54:16 PM EDT
A few months ago, dealer tells me "no more Hi-powers". Just whats in the pipeline, he says. It was brought up in here once before. Now I have the new for 2002 Browning master catalog and NO centerfire handguns are listed! The only mention of the Hi-power is the custom shop can engrave you one or even gold plate it. Not even the Beretta made .380 is to be found.  This is the master catalog, if they sell it, its in there. Regrettably one of our favorites is not. A friend has an unfired NIB Capitan model for sale, with hi-caps...full ticket price (over $600) is it time to move on it
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Well if you get desperate for a HI-Power type weapon you can always get a FEG PJK-9HP , they are a pretty faithful copy of it and I've had no problems swapping internal parts at all and they are pretty cheap but well made for about $220
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Browning USA dropped importation of them.  From what I understand, FN is now the importer.  No difference, as FN has always been the manufacturer anyway.  So you won't be getting one with the "Browning" name on it, but you can still get the exact same gun.  I don't know anything about the FN distribution, so I don't know who you'd have to get your dealer to buy it from.  I have heard that the FNs have begun to show up at shops and gunshows, so they are on the shores.

I would not factor in any increase in value as a "collector item" to any BHP because of this.  If you want a BHP, by all means get one.  They are great guns, but don't panic and spend high dollars for something that's still being imported by the factory.

Ross
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#3]
About six months ago I met with the folks at FN in South Carolina. They said that Browing will continue to buy them and sell them, but only in limited quantities. It will be sold though as the FN HiPower and there will also be a DAO version primarity for Police (labeled as the FN-49) and a DA/SA version yet to be named.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 6:14:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Thats good to know, FN picking up the ball. Truthfully, I had 3 HPs that werent too good. One was a jammer, one wasnt even on target and the last one could be seen wearing out after each session. The FEG lacks some finesse in final finish and the external parts seem thicker, but my two work great and are still tight. So, there is no reason to "panic buy" the Capitan, the Belgium/Portugal version, either for investment or to have the last of the breed. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thats good to know, FN picking up the ball. Truthfully, I had 3 HPs that werent too good. One was a jammer, one wasnt even on target and the last one could be seen wearing out after each session. The FEG lacks some finesse in final finish and the external parts seem thicker, but my two work great and are still tight. So, there is no reason to "panic buy" the Capitan, the Belgium/Portugal version, either for investment or to have the last of the breed. Thanks

You should try a FM (fabricaciones militares) HP if you can find one...they are pretty 'good', nice finish. accurate, reliable etc, and CHEAP. J.A.T.
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA
OUT.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I like Strikers'...an Englis W/adjustable sights.  But anyway, word is the .40 version is fini.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Saw fn highpower in a shop last week....very good looking and decent price.....never heard anything bad about them......
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top