Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/10/2002 8:37:06 PM EDT
I have nothing to compare what I'm seeing to as my SUB-2000 is the only gun I own... I bought it on Nov. 1st and have only had it out at the range about 6 times firing maybe 800 - 1000 rounds thru it. I have never shot anything but solid lead (3D 125gr reloads cause that's all I can buy locally and that's all they'll let me shoot at the indoor range I go to). The gun has been cleaned within 2 hours of every session... I recently noticed... not with the naked eye but with a magnifying glass, that the inside of the barrel seems to be... not sure how to describe it... marred... scratched... mottled...

I took it out to the range today... and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and I'm a better shot than that!

My usuall cleaning procedure is to first run a solvent soaked patch followed by a dry patch then a brass brush. I then use solvent soaked patches alternating with dry till the thing seems close to clean... I've never been able to get a patch look TOTALLY clean from the gun even after going thru 50 patches. I end with a light coat of oil.

The last two cleanings I've started using a swag to get a tighter patch in the hope of cleaning what I'm seeing up a little better but that doesn't seem to help either...

Any one else noticing this?

Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:29:29 AM EDT
Lead fired at the velocities you are shooting through the sub will probably cause alot of buildup in the barrel.

There are many ways to get it out. The best way is to never get it in there in the first place by only firing jacketed bullets but realize that your range won't allow it.

Here is a link to a GlockTalk thread that gives many ways to get the lead out.

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56070&highlight=lead+removal

You can search GlockTalk for "lead removal". That is how I found this info.

Don
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 11:52:43 PM EDT
Thanks for the tip. I tried several things. I bought the Hoppes Lead Removal System... a cleaned rod attachment that allows you to drag a brass mesh screen thru the bore... worthless... I tried Shooters Choice Lead Remover with brass brushes and patches... worthless... I tried JB Bore Cleaning Compound with patches... this stuff brought out patches black as coal... hundreds of them... never saw anything less than pure black... so it was the best performer of them all but still failed to clean the gun. I worked 4 hours a night for 3 days... I have blisters on my right hand... can barely move my right arm, broke one cleaning rod... and ran thousands of patches... only to end up with a barrel that looked even worse than when I started.

The gun is now at a dealer who has a means of removing lead electically. Sort of reverse electroplating. They plug one end of the barrel... fill it with electrolytic fluid, then plug the other end and let electrical current do its work over a period of time. We'll see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:06:48 PM EDT
I got the gun back from the dealer who completed two different reverse electroplating procedures on the barrel... one for lead, the other for copper. There wasn't much of either in the barrel he said. Whatever these areas of black spotting are remain a complete mystery to him... the barrel is obviously etched, scored and totally ruined after less than 3 months of use and fewer than 1000 rounds. Kel-Tec must be making these things out of pot iron and I'm extremely unhappy. I couldn't recommend this gun to anyone as a viable weapon.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:08:45 PM EDT
And the finale of this long tale:

The gun was returned to Kel-Tec where they claim that it was one of the first 1000 or so barrels that were manufactured, parkerized and put in long term storage before assembly. When they were ready for assembly, they took the batch of barrels out of storage, tumbled them to remove the parkerization (rust preventative coating process), applied the final bluing and assembled the guns. Mine had a parkerized bore!!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 9:31:12 AM EDT
midiman your scaring me! i rushed to clean my sub nine. the barrel looks great on mine. it just jams is all."like thats no big deal"
it would barely kick out the brass, and eat some while chambering the next round.
with all kinds of ammo. so i stored it for months with the chamber open. now it kicks out the brass about 1 foot, and dont jam anymore.
i will always store it in the chamber open position. the weaker return spring is what mine needed. the ser # is less than 200!
im just glad of no more stove pipe jams. i still dont trust the thing! good luck
Top Top