Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2017 11:53:51 AM EDT
So an awesome deal presented itself to me last night and combined with some drunken financial choices, I ordered a Bren 805. Problem is that I also just ordered a PWS gas piston upper for one of my ARs as well. My question to y'all is: is the Bren a noticeable improvement on the AR platform at all, especially a piston driven AR like PWS? PWS makes high quality ARs, and I have a couple of CZ handguns already (SP01 and P09) which we all know are great quality handguns. So what do you guys think, and if you were to pick one, would you rather have a quality piston driven AR or the Bren? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Both.

I haven't seen a Bren in the wild to play with though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think enough people have time on the Bren to let you know.  It's hard to beat the AR for modularity and ergos.  Maybe you can tell us.  After you get some trigger time.  David
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:55:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I am very fond of my BREN, but have very little knowledge of ARs at all. My BREN functions perfectly and shoots just fine for me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:08:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I am kind of intrigued about the 806.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:58:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think enough people have time on the Bren to let you know.  It's hard to beat the AR for modularity and ergos.  Maybe you can tell us.  After you get some trigger time.  David
View Quote
I've been running my Bren quite awhile. I have to say out of all my guns, it is my favorite besides my AR's. I'm so familiar with the AR platform is a big reason, but lack of bolt release is the Bren's biggest downfall second is weight IMO.

Link Posted: 10/18/2017 5:33:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

lack of bolt release is the Bren's biggest downfall second is weight IMO.
View Quote
The lack of a bolt release is a really weird design flaw.

Given that is has an external bolt hold open, for the life of me I can't figure out why they would have skipped the bolt release.

I wonder if the 806 Bren adds a bolt release in addition the 1lb weight savings.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm guessing they designed it to run like HK's and added the bolt hold open.  You figure the VZ58's they use required them to run the bolt after a reload just like an HK.  Their manual of arms has never had a button to release the bolt so maybe it wasn't a priority for the design.  David
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Given that is has an external bolt hold open, for the life of me I can't figure out why they would have skipped the bolt release.

I wonder if the 806 Bren adds a bolt release in addition the 1lb weight savings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lack of bolt release is the Bren's biggest downfall second is weight IMO.

My guess is they really want you to pull back on the charging handle.  I do this on my SCAR instead of pushing the ping-pong paddle for some reason.  I wonder if that will change on the 806 I am waiting for the 806 to come out I kind of want one.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:30:11 AM EDT
[#9]
The explanation from CZ-UB about the bolt release was the rifle was designed for Czech soldiers, who have been using the vz-58 for decades, (longest service "assault" rifle in history without major changes), which has the exact same operation, pull back the big charging handle on the bolt to release it. I would have loved a bolt release on my 805, but I was also used to my vz-58, so it was no big deal for me.
The 806/BREN 2 has a bolt release, and I understand it is IN the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm very intrigued.  Plan to buy. 
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I really liked the look, 2 things the front handguard heats up fast. and watch the charging handle it reciprocates. and you might get hurt if you grip it wrong
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep this, was looking at getting an 805 then heard about the 806.  Waiting a year or more would be good for my savings account.  That last year of Obummer damn near bankrupted me, guns, ammo, NV, mags,
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Love my Bren. I don't plan to ever sell it, ever. (Actually, I've been planning on buying a second one.)

Having said that, you should be aware that it is heavy, gets damn hot and has some nagging ergo issues like no bolt release.
The Bren 2 promises to fix all that, but is not available to us serfs just yet.

For the price though, I'd think you'd be hard pressed to get into a comparable piston AR platform for near the cost.
I think you'll be pleased with your new Bren overall.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I want one, but never cared for reciprocating charging handles.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Bren 805 over a piston AR if you just want something with a piston.

I've enjoyed mine enough I'm getting a second.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Your are missing out if you don't have a piston AR in your collection. I am a PWS fan, got 2. Also have an LWRC as well. Don't really clean my ARs like I use to the with DIs. The ergonomic and flatness of the AR design is hard to beat. Pretty much any pistons AR manufacturer is GTG, even some of the kit ones too. Its hare to buy crap with the big names.

With that being said, I want a Bren 805. The only thing that is holding me back is money. Also, it feels big. I also made the mistake of compring it side by side with the SCAR. The SCAR feels lighter and more well balanced.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 1:28:11 AM EDT
[#17]
My very first round I took the reciprocating handle right on the thumb. Hurt long enough to get my attention, rifle worked perfectly. So I swapped the handle to the right side and operate it like an AK. It is a wee bit heavy. No word on when the 806/BREN 2 might be available for civilians, but they have been in country for a year for LE/Mil.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I absolutely love my Bren 805. Swapped the ch to the right side first thing. It's a tad heavier than an AR but the recoil impulse is light years better than an AR. Get a forward grip and the receiver heat issue is a distant memory. If given my choice which would I prefer? The Bren hands down. I've owned Two LWRCI piston guns and they were nice, but for $700 less the bren easily comes out ahead in value. Also the action is so smooth it's like silk.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#19]
[b]Quoted:[/b some drunken financial choices.
View Quote
LMAO!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top