User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it stiff without a mag in, or just with a mag in?  Also is it stiff with an empty mag or just a loaded mag?

If it's not stiff without a mag then there's an inherent problem, if with a mag in then I suspect its a mag issue.  If that perhaps the mag release slot in the mag is rough or too small.

My .02
View Quote
Just thinking out loud but my mag release has loosened up over the 5 or 600 rounds I've put through it.  One thing I notice is with and empty mag and the slide to the rear the mag jumps right out.  With the slide forward and an empty mag I can feel a little more resistance but the mag release is not bad.  With a loaded mag and the slide forward the mag release is clearly more difficult to push.  

I wonder if that is a design feature to be more difficult to hit the mag release with a loaded mag in.  With the full time ambi push button mag release if you bump that outside button you could possibly dump the mag.  That is why Walther and HK have the full time ambi release with paddles.  On the FNS is the only other full time ambi mag release that I know of.  All the other manufactures that offer the push button mag release have to change from one side to the other.  That way the outside of the weapon never has the button exposed.  CZ completely dumped their P07/P09 mag design when going to the P10 for a reason.  I wonder if it is stiff with the loaded mag on purpose.  Kind of like in the 80's when the Glock mags would not drop free on purpose.  Just a thought.  David
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Stiff with the mag in, empty and full.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it stiff without a mag in, or just with a mag in?  Also is it stiff with an empty mag or just a loaded mag?

If it's stiff without a mag then there's an inherent problem, if with a mag in then I suspect its a mag issue.  If that perhaps the mag release slot in the mag is rough or too small.

My .02
Stiff with the mag in, empty and full.
Stiff w/o a mag in?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Just thinking out loud but my mag release has loosened up over the 5 or 600 rounds I've put through it.  One thing I notice is with and empty mag and the slide to the rear the mag jumps right out.  With the slide forward and an empty mag I can feel a little more resistance but the mag release is not bad.  With a loaded mag and the slide forward the mag release is clearly more difficult to push.  

I wonder if that is a design feature to be more difficult to hit the mag release with a loaded mag in.  With the full time ambi push button mag release if you bump that outside button you could possibly dump the mag.  That is why Walther and HK have the full time ambi release with paddles.  On the FNS is the only other full time ambi mag release that I know of.  All the other manufactures that offer the push button mag release have to change from one side to the other.  That way the outside of the weapon never has the button exposed.  CZ completely dumped their P07/P09 mag design when going to the P10 for a reason.  I wonder if it is stiff with the loaded mag on purpose.  Kind of like in the 80's when the Glock mags would not drop free on purpose.  Just a thought.  David
View Quote
I think you make some good points.  A loaded mag has more weight that bears on the mag/mag release interface.

My XDM mag release is stiffer when a loaded mag is in vs. when an empty is in, or w/o a mag.

There is still a bearing surface between the mag release and the mag so if the cutout on the mag isn't just perfect then there could be hang ups.  I'm thinking the issue might be either the magazines QC in this area, or that the mag release itself wears in especially if its polymer vs. metal.  ??
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
BullsEye in Lawrenceville received a bunch of them where I bought mine.
View Quote

Just picked one up this morning at GA Gun Store for 449-
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:29:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't shot one, but I played around with/dry fired a friend's brother's and I would prefer a P-09, which I have shot. I just prefer hammer fired guns. But if I was forced to buy a full sized striker gun, it would be on my list, in black, I just can't handle tan cars or guns.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I did the mag-release polish job that's on YouTube.
It definitely helped, but only by like 10-15%.  
Note: getting it back in wasn't as easy as I expected, having seen the video).

I think shooting and just working it helped a tiny bit too (or I'm just building up the muscles in my thumb).
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:14:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't get the ambi mag release, they should have just kept that simple.  As a lefty, I prefer "right handed" mag release.  I can hit the mag release on most pistols with my left middle finger without repositioning my hand.  I've seen right handed folk somehow accidentally drop a mag with their support hand while shooting, lefties don't have to worry about that.  Not all pistols have ambi/left handed mag releases, leaving it set up in the "right handed" configuration keeps everything the same for me.

I've never flipped the mag release on any of my pistols with reversible releases.  I wish I could delete the right side decocker on my P09.  Safeties are the only thing that should be ambi, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#8]
To me the ambi release drew me to the gun. I'm right handed my wife is left handed, we can now shoot the gun at the range together and it doesn't cause us to have to change anything ????
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:49:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Just got my P-10C today.

Initial thoughts.

- The mag release is stiff but not overly so. I think the mag has a stiff mag spring which may be part of the issue.  Will hope it eases up abit with some rounds through it this week.

- The slide releases (both sides) are a bit stiff compared to other pistols I have. Maybe they will ease up with use.

- The grip texture is aggressive but maybe good since polymer pistols tend to be slippery to me, and I've resorted to rubber cutout panels to give me more purchase on them (Glocks and SAs). Definitely don't need those on the P-10C grip.

- The fit in the hand in light years ahead of my Glocks.  It points far better for me than the Glocks. Easy to get on to the sights.

- The reset is the best I've seen in anything I've used to date.  With some rounds through it I'm looking forward the trigger smoothing out more.

- The mags are very nice in design and materials, and load easily.

So far so good.  Looking forward to some range time this week with it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just got my P-10C today.

Initial thoughts.

- The mag release is stiff but not overly so. I think the mag has a stiff mag spring which may be part of the issue.  Will hope it eases up abit with some rounds through it this week.

- The slide releases (both sides) are a bit stiff compared to other pistols I have. Maybe they will ease up with use.

- The grip texture is aggressive but maybe good since polymer pistols tend to be slippery to me, and I've resorted to rubber cutout panels to give me more purchase on them (Glocks and SAs). Definitely don't need those on the P-10C grip.

- The fit in the hand in light years ahead of my Glocks.  It points far better for me than the Glocks. Easy to get on to the sights.

- The reset is the best I've seen in anything I've used to date.  With some rounds through it I'm looking forward the trigger smoothing out more.

- The mags are very nice in design and materials, and load easily.

So far so good.  Looking forward to some range time this week with it.
View Quote
I haven't taken mine to the range yet, but playing around with it I've noticed that the slide release isn't really an issue.  It is VERY stiff to drop the slide using the slide release on an empty mag and only an empty mag. It has to do with the mag spring pushing the follower up into the slide release. You are fighting a lot of pressure when releasing it. If you have at least one round in the mag the slide drops with minimal effort. And in reality, you will rarely be dropping the slide with an empty mag in the gun with any haste.

The mag release is stiff, but I never had a problem manipulating it, whether the magazine was empty or full.

The trigger is the best stock striker fired trigger I've seen (out of the VP9, several glocks, M&Ps, a couple Sig 320s among others).

The sights are ok, but I'm going to be switching them out for black rear and a FO front. The dovetails are built to accept Shadow 2 sights, IIRC.

All in all looks like a great pistol. I'm hoping my experience shooting it doesn't change that opinion.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Took my P-10C to the range today.

Put 200 rounds of Yavex 124 gr. fmj thru it at 10 yards.  Prior to today I loaded up 3 mags full with the ammo to settle for 2 days.

With the mags full the mag release was as stiff as with the mags empty. Full and empty mags ejected smoothly.

I did not lube the pistol and only ran a patch down the bore.

With a solid Isosceles Stance and center-hold on the bull it printed dead-on to slightly lower left.  When I changed to a Weaver Stance the grouping drifted down a little lower and still to the left.  Both full mag shots had a concentrated group, although I have aways to go to tighten things up.

Case ejection was consistently to 3-3:30 with case fall at 3-5 ft.

While the grip texture is aggressive it didn't bother me while shooting, but I did feel the safety blade on the trigger more than on a Glock.

The trigger pull did start easing up a bit after 200 rds. I think it may get better.

The P-10C was comfortable to shoot with little muzzle rise, and the factory sites were adequate for day time shooting, but would like to replace them with factory night sites when they become available this fall.

Hope to get a couple holsters (competition & reg carry) for it soon.

So far so good with the P-10C.

My .02
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top