Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/21/2006 4:54:03 PM EDT
I have one and it seems to be a good gun. Since STAR is no longer around, I am concerned about parts breakage if I ever break anything.

I do not believe they imported very many of these since it is my understanding that STAR primarily made them for the American market. I rarelt come across them in the forums and have never seen another one at gun shows or the range. Since it my lower end 45 (have two Colts), should I keep pounding away with it, or, because of it's rareity, put her away for my son. In the case of STARs, I do not know if rareity really requates to collectibility of any kind.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:56:01 PM EDT
I should add that I'm not talking about Stars in general, but the 45 ACP model PS.

I do not think I made it clear in my origianal post and I do not believe I can edit it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:35:50 PM EDT
Not sure. I had a thread tacked that I put together of links for parts and information. The best source was the Ipar link which was a company in Spain producing parts for Stars. The link has been dead for a while so I don't know if they closed their doors or the site has just been down. A member here did order parts from them and was quite happy with them.

I wish someone stateside would produce parts, Star made great pistols. I love mine, hope to get a model BM 9mm here shortly. Don't know about collectability, it might now or eventually. I've never seen or heard of a PS model. Can you post pics I wouldn't mind seeing it. Sorry for not much help, but you can check the other links I and other members found you might get more information.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:38:05 PM EDT
As far as not shooting it. I do that with mine. I love but I don't shoot it often for the same reasons as you. I like it so much I don't want it break something and not be able to shoot it anymore. I usually take it out every few months and put a couple magazines through it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:55:03 PM EDT
I'm not sure how to post a pic, but the model "PS" is a slightly modified version of the Model "P" (45ACP). I believe the only difference is that it has a magazine safety. It looks almost identical to a Colt 1911A1 except it does not have a grip safety and it has an external extractor. It also has crappy brown plastic grips. I bought mine back in early 1970s. It was imported by The Garcia Corporation.

Someone once told me that they use (or used to 20 years ago) the STAR model P (or PS) in movies a lot because for some reason a STAR 45 will work with blanks and regular Colts will not. I remember carefully watching movies back then and did see several STARs. You can readilly tell them because of the external extractor.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:18:20 AM EDT
It's easy posting a pic. Just use www.photobucket.com or www.imageshack.com which are free hosting sites. Upload them there. Then come back here and type a post and click the small icon above the smilies that has a little mountain. Insert the URL that is below the image at the site you hosted it at and voila.

Seems interesting. I'm gonna look into them. Kinda sounds like a Ballaster-Molina type pistol then.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:08:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 6:22:47 PM EDT by Snake-in-the-Grass]
Thanks for the info on posting a picture.

Here are the right and left sides of my STAR Model PS.

Pretty much the same as a government model 1911A1. I also have a Marvel Unit 1 22 conversdion upper which works on my Colts but not the STAR.

Top Top