Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2017 8:39:46 PM EDT
FEG made a number of pistols derived from the Walther PP, PPK/S and PPK.   They all use the Walther PP operating system with some of the later variants having some evolutionary changes such as a firing pin safety.  I have a few of FEG's steel framed commercial pistols including a couple AP9S pistols (a PP sized pistol in .380 ACP), an APK9S (a shorter slide PPK/S sized pistol in .380 ACP), and an APK7S (an APK in 7.65mm Browning).   The pistols imported by Interarms in particular were made to a very high standard of finish with excellent polish and blue, but all of them shoot very well.   Below, top to bottom are an Interarms imported AP9S, an Interarms imported APK9S, and a TGI imported APK7S:

The FEG PP copies have slightly larger slides and grip frames that reflect their lineage from military pistols that were originally chambered in 9mm Makarov, and the AP9M is an all steel commercial pistol chambered in 9mm Mak.

All this is back ground for my post recent FEG purchase - an FEG SMC-380.   "SMC" is K.B.I.'s model number for an FEG pistol that uses the smaller PPK sized aluminum frame of their BR-61 pistol with a later APK style slide incorporating a trigger actuated firing pin safety.  Michael Kassanar had a habit of naming pistols using the initials of family members, and in the case of the SMC-380, SMC-918 (chambered in 9x18mm Mak) and SMC-22 (in .22 LR) the initials were those of his sales manager.

K.B.I. didn't order the pistols to quite the same high level of finish as Interarms, but they sold them at a lower price point.  The slide is nicely polished and blued (the brown color is a reflection of the brown roof over the firing range), and the lower level of finish is evident in the anodized aluminum alloy frame which still carries some tool marks.   This particular pistol has a ding on the rear of the grip frame up near the slide, probably from being dropped and shows some wear on the anodizing on the frame around the trigger, and over the barrel hood, but otherwise was in excellent condition externally and had virtually no wear internally.  

I started loaded it 6+1 and then fired 7 shots slow fire at 7 yards to see how well it shot.  The clean bore shot went a bit high and right but the next 6 rounds went into a single ragged hole.   I then shot another 6 magazines rapid fire, starting with the hammer down, and aiming for the 8 on the B-27 target.  The results were not bad for a DA pistol with a characteristically heavy PP series trigger.  

I put 100 rounds through it by the end of the session and the only malfunction occurred due to the magazine not being fully seated.   That's not surprising given my experience with other FEG PP style pistols.  What was surprising is that the 18 oz PPK sized pistol was comfortable to shoot over an extended range session and displayed no tendency toward slide bite.

I like the FEG commercial pistols and in general they are badly under estimated, possibly due to the number of well used surplus PA-63 pistols on the market and more than a few franken pistols assembled from the large number of FEG PP variant military and commercial pistols.   That's not all bad however as you can often find FEG commercial pistols like the SMC-380 for around $200 in excellent to LNIB condition.

The SMC pistols also have the distinction of being the smallest pistols imported since the passage of the Gun Control Act of 1968.  The finger extension on the magazine is just long enough to squeak it in over the wire for the minimum height dimension while the original black plastic grips with a thumb rest on the left panel were just wide enough to meet the minimum width requirement.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for posting that.  

I have an FEG PA-63 and it has been a good little pistol, although the finish is nowhere near as nice as what you posted.  

The only problem I have run into is the unavailability of magazines.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like the man is HUNGRY for HUNGARY!  I had and unfortuntately sold an SMC380 way back in the past.  I sold it as I had bought a PPK-S, and before I shot the PPK, I sold the SMC thinking I would not need the copy when I had the original.  I was very wrong.  The SMC shot much better and felt better than the PPKs.  Buyers remorse at it's worst.

Very underrated guns and parts are starting to dry up.  I might have to scour to find one!
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a SMC 380.  I like it better than a 380 cal PPK.  The SMC feeds everything.  Just a great pistol.  I would love to find a R61 without import markings.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I use to have a SMC380 back when AIM or somebody had them for $159.  The mag spring gave out and I couldn't get a replacement so I got rid of it.  The polished bluing was some of the best I've ever seen.  David
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:42:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Dakota FAL,
Are those walnut grips pictured on the AP9 series pistols shown in the lead photo from Grips4U? If they are, would they fir the Interarms APKS Mark II I recently acquired?
TIA,
Gary
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dakota FAL,
Are those walnut grips pictured on the AP9 series pistols shown in the lead photo from Grips4U? If they are, would they fir the Interarms APKS Mark II I recently acquired?
TIA,
Gary
View Quote
I got them on e-bay a few years ago from a vendor in Turkey.  I'm not sure if the grips 4U grips are the same.

However a grip made for the straight back strapped, steel framed, commercial AP and APK series pistols will fit all the straight back strapped, steel framed AP and APK series pistols.  I'm not sure what was different about the Mk II pistols, but their is no difference in the grip frame.

The military "PA" series pistols have a curved back strap and those grips will not fit the steel framed commercial pistols.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 9:03:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I got them on e-bay a few years ago from a vendor in Turkey.  I'm not sure if the grips 4U grips are the same.

However a grip made for the straight back strapped, steel framed, commercial AP and APK series pistols will fit all the straight back strapped, steel framed AP and APK series pistols.  I'm not sure what was different about the Mk II pistols, but their is no difference in the grip frame.

The military "PA" series pistols have a curved back strap and those grips will not fit the steel framed commercial pistols.
View Quote
DakotaFAL,
Thanks for the info. Grips4U lists grips for the FEG AP series pistols on their website but lists them as "out of stock". Guess I'll haunt Ebay and see if the vendor you used is still active or if a used pair shows up.
Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#8]
u make me want to get one
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I recently traded for a FEG hipower and I'm impressed. Was looking at classic firearms website this morning. Almost ordered the 32 acp. Already have a p64. Need to stop looking and just buy one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top