Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2003 7:45:12 PM EDT
I recently purchased a new XD-40. I noticed two problems, one more recurring than the other.

First, the slide doesn't always lock back at the end of a magazine. This happens once in between 4-6 magazines. I can't figure out why it won't lock back.

Second, yesterday after firing about 400 rounds between cleanings, it got to where the last round of every magazine would only feed halfway into the chamber and then get stuck. I was shooting PMC at the time, which I know isn't very clean ammo, but after only 400 rounds?

As a side note, I cleaned the hell out of it and then today before I fired I put some CLP on the slide rails. Then I fired another 100 rounds with no mishaps, and it also locked back every time.

Anyone have any thoughts for me?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:57:18 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of ammo?  Reloads?  HP?  It may have just needed a good breakin.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
On the magaznie not locking back the slide... watch your thumb during firing. If you use the same "high thumbs" grip that most people use on a 1911 or other gun with a manual saftey, you may be riding the slide stop lever with your thumb. I put my thumb on the moulded rest every time now, instead of higher.

I dont own the .40 but, you might want to polish the feed ramp a little with a dremel or similar. I'm sure the flat tip on most .40 FMJ loads doesnt help much. And most of the PMC ammo I've shot seems to have a lower recoil impulse than say Win white box.

Finally, try posting here:  www.hs2000talk.com
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
On the magaznie not locking back the slide... watch your thumb during firing. If you use the same "high thumbs" grip that most people use on a 1911 or other gun with a manual saftey, you may be riding the slide stop lever with your thumb.

I think that's exactly what I'm doing.

And most of the PMC ammo I've shot seems to have a lower recoil impulse than say Win white box.

Even the guy who sold it to me said I'd be better off finding some Winchester White Box.

Finally, try posting here:  www.hs2000talk.com

I'll do that.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#4]
A lot of people, particularly those who "grew up" shooting 1911's do it. I still do it from time to time with certain pistols. My Browning Buckmark is one that I have a hard time NOT doing it with. The slide release is right in line with where my thumb rests because of the grips on the gun and my tendancy to ride the saftey. That said, I fixed my problem with my XD by doing roughly 100 presentations from concealment on a scaled down IPSC target on my wall, paying particular attention to my grip and thumb placement (gun unloaded of course). I also trained myself to keep my trigger finger indexed on the frame, instead of on the trigger, untill my sights were on target.

As I said I dont have the .40, but my friend recently purchased one, and has had good luck with both Federal AE and the Winchester. I think he has used UMC also, but found it dirty (as I have in the past).

Hope to see you over at HS talk soon! These pistols are finding a lot of fans as time goes on.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think he has used UMC also, but found it dirty (as I have in the past).

I already moved on with my decision never to use UMC again. Seems like the range's reloads are the best buy AND the best shooting thus far. But possibly only because they've been sold out of American Eagle.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I feel pretty much the same... UMC is dirty as wolf, IMHO...

I, have never liked Remington ammo very much... thier rimfire stuff is notorious for having misfires, and I find the centerfire stuff dirty, even in the rifle cartridges.

As much as people badmouth it... I have had no complaints with Winchester ammo... in fact its damn near all I shoot. I just wish Winchester would sell a GOOD 124gr 9mm HP load to the civilan market. I think the Ranger loads are damn near the best thing going... too bad the stigma bumps the price up so much.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:04:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think he has used UMC also, but found it dirty (as I have in the past).

I already moved on with my decision never to use UMC again. Seems like the range's reloads are the best buy AND the best shooting thus far. But possibly only because they've been sold out of American Eagle.

Please be very careful and closely examing any reloaded 40S&W, particularly any that YOU do not reload yourself. The 40S&W has the smallest safety marging of any round sold today, and is also the most prone to developing overpressure. Yhis is particularly true in the larger bullet sizes.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Duly noted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top