Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 5:16:33 PM EDT
I normally carry a Kahr P9 But would like to have one larger, top end carry piece.  Problem is, I'm slender, short 5'7" and have small hands for a man.  I have an SA Mil Spec full size and love it, but could never comfortably carry or conceal it with my style of dress.  

I've been looking hard at the Ultra Compact and especially the Micro.  I love the size and the bi-tone lightweight Micro from SA is beautiful, however, I've heard a lot about 1911's having issues when the barrel length drops under 5".

I've seen a micro on the internet that is done in SA's Army Kote finish and it's beautiful.  As for the Ultra Carry, I'm just not too fond of the stainless look.  I'd love it if I could get it in that subdued metal/matte finish that I see on some of their custom guns but they only offer the Ultra Compact in the stainless now.  

So what do you all think?  Have you found them to be reliable?  Has the 3" felt top heavy in your holsters?  

Does anyone out there have a blued or dark colored SA Micro?  This will likely be my last carry piece of a serious caliber.  I don't mind if I have to send it back to SA once but I don't want to end up with one that's unreliable.

Last question, have any of you sent a Micro back to SA or elsewhere to get the front strap checkered?  If so, what did you think of it afterwards?  I love the look an feel of a checkered front stap.  

If you got pics of your SA micro I'd love to see it and if you know of another .45 out there that's a smaller than full size frame with a barrell between 3" and 4", please let me know!  I've held the kimbers and they seem to be great weapons but they just don't feel as good in my hand as the SA.

Thanks in advance for the help guys!!

God Bless

Gideon

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a SA Ultra Compact Loaded (ALL BLACK) and got rid of it.  I would not trust it for a CCW.  I had jamming issues with all different types of ammo except crappy CCI Blazer with the aluminum cases.  Figure that out.

Anyway, mine was all steel and too heavy for me compared to my glock 27.  Plus my glock won't let me down.

I actually traded it in and used the money for my first AR15.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I had a SA Ultra Compact Loaded (ALL BLACK) and got rid of it.  I would not trust it for a CCW.  I had jamming issues with all different types of ammo except crappy CCI Blazer with the aluminum cases.  Figure that out.

Anyway, mine was all steel and too heavy for me compared to my glock 27.  Plus my glock won't let me down.

I actually traded it in and used the money for my first AR15.

I had similar expeiences, and SA finally swapped my useless UC for the slightly longer compact lightweight. I'm not going with any 1911 smaller than 4" ever again.

The compact lightweight is a great little carry piece, and SAs customer service was top notch.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:40:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Same here.  I have and have had quite a few 1911s over the years and that is my daily carry.  I have a 4" CQB compact that has run well throught the first 5 or 6 thousand rounds, a couple for Commander length (TRUE Commander length and config) that run fine.

I have had several less that 4" and the only one that could be trusted and kept was an old Detonics that I use for back up occasionally.

The Kimbers and Springfields less than 4" have always been very problematic for me.

I will stick with a 5" 95% of the time.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:58:40 AM EDT
[#4]
My SA GI Champion (4") has been 100% reliable since break-in.

In the various steel frame "mini" 1911s , you only save about 2-4 ounces and 1" in overall
length compared to the 4". (the alloy frame models get pretty light though)

IMHO the 3" versions Lose the reliability and shootabilitycontest.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:33:09 AM EDT
[#5]
For balance, I'll say I want to disagree

I have a lightweight 3 inch Micro Compact. It is indeed lightweight, and very small. No, it's not as accurate as a 5 inch (shocking!) but I can hit a man sized target in the critical zone. It is not at all a pain to shoot.

Reliability will likely take some patience and a few dollars. I feel it's almost there, should know later this week. So far, I had an issue with FTF (believe that has been fixed by polishing the feedramp with a Dremel and replacing the extractor with a Wilson Bullet Proof). I then got premature slidelock, which I hope will be cured by the Wilson Bullet Proof slide stop I have on order.

If that does as I expect, this little green monster will then be one reliable little carry piece. Several hundred rounds should tell the tale!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#6]
only problem i had with the micro was dirty chamber and extractor.  wont carry anything else.  i have a desantis holster, not topheavy but squeaky.  they used to have a black armory coat.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Yours is green too.... Mine was purchsaed NOS from a funshow dealer who'd had it around for "a couple" years. According to SA, it was made in 2002. I don't think they do the Loaded model Micro in green anymore.

As to my replacing the extraxtor, it may not have been nec. When I removed the stock one, the hole was really gunked up (not had a 1911 in some years, forgot that area needed attention at cleaning!). Once cleaned, I checked the tension and fit on the stock unit, it was fine. I'd already bought the replacement Wilson BP, so I fitted and installed it. Looking for  that slide stop any day now.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm +1 with TBone.
My micro is all stainless, but I had to replace the slide stop as it wouldn't lock and get the ramp polished.
After that, it's all I carry and good to go.

ETA: Mine cost nothing however, b/c I didn't go the bullet proof route, I sent back and SA did without question........Though now I'm considering the BP stop after putting them on my others.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the Micro model & haven't had any issues with it at all. I use it for my daily CCL gun & don't think twice about carrying it.

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:36:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Springfield Compact Lightweight (not to be confused with the micro compact) (the Compact LW has been discontinued). I had cycling issues with mine for a long time. I finally replaced the extractor with one from Wilson and voila.. no more jams or anything.  I really like this weapon. Nothing fits my hand as nicely. The downside is the capacity. I've grown really accustomed to higher capacity mags, like my SIG 228.

Note: I've always heard the smaller the 1911 the more probability with jams, etc.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#11]
eeh.... still working mine over, but I am NOT giving up! The BP slide stop didn't end my troubles, I've had 3 different types of malf. in 28 rounds.... some filing/grinding tomorrow, then the range  (Tues. at the latest) and hopefully I'll be there. If not, off to Springfeidl with it, where I am confident it will be made reliable. I'll post here when I get it running right!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top