Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 8:07:53 PM EDT
Hey guys I am thinking of upgrading my CCW gun. I now have a Kel Tec P11 that has been trouble free but I want something that is simply a better shooter. I want something I can have a little fun with at the range as well. The Kel-Tec is horrible to shoot. It tears the web of your thumb up in 50 shots or less. I would like to keep the Kel-Tec strictly for carry and get the XD but I can't spend too much and will be selling the Kel-Tec to offset the cost of the new pistol. I REALLY like the new XD in .45 ACP but am thinking it's probably a bit too large to conceal comfortably. I really dont carry on a regular basis but want to have the option. Would I be better served w/ the subcompact .40? From what i can tell the sub is just as wide as the 4" models so it probably wouldn't make too big of a difference in that way. Personally slide lenght doesn't bother me when carrying too much either. The main thing i would be worried about w/ the .45 is the length of the grip. For the guys who have the 45 already have you tried to conceal it? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I went to the local shop today to see if they had any XDs for me to fondle.  I might try one out one of these days.

I'm stoked about the new .45 XD myself, but I suspect it is too big to conceal.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#2]
the length of the grip is the same as their 9mm and I can conceal easily.
pics of 9mm and 1911 next to a xd45acp
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
the length of the grip is the same as their 9mm and I can conceal easily.
pics of 9mm and 1911 next to a xd45acp

Nice.

How about the length of the slide?

ETA:  It looks like it's almost the same size as their others.  I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a compact version of it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:58:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I think it depends entirely on the individual.  I have heard for 25 years that you can’t carry a 5" 1911 concealed.  "It's too big." and "It's too heavy" and "You have to get an OM size".  

I have been carrying a 5" 1911 concealed regularly for about 22 years.  If it wasn't concealed, I would have found out about it by now.

I have a new XD 45acp that I picked up a few days ago.  I have carried it for one day in a piece of crap holster (the one that came with it) and it concealed just fine under a sport coat.  It will do better in a real holster.

You are going to have some trouble if you are 5'5" and 130lbs or in a cheap holster, but you don't have to be 6'6" and 300 either.  I am 5'10" and about 190.  

A good holster (I like Alessi, Sparks, and DelFatti if I can wait that long, but others work just as well) on a good belt under a thick shirt or sport coat should do.

Contrary to marketing strategy, it is butt length that helps with conceal ability, not barrel length.  Barrel length can play more into it with IWB, but even IWB I carry a 5” in an Alessi GWH.

Unless you are very small in stature, I would think that if you will commit to the investment in a good holster and belt and the right cover garment, there is no reason you cannot conceal a 4” XD.  

It depends on how committed you are!

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:24:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I have both the XD9 4" and the XD40 Sub Compact.  I also have a SA Compact Light Weight .45acp.  I've carried all three at one time or another.  I personally like the XD40 sub compact with 10rnd mag with finger extension or the compact .45 better for carrying then the XD9 IWB or outside.  If you want a CCW then the sub compact is the way to go. IMHO.  Now if they started making the XD45 acp in a sub compact then we have a whole new ball game!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think it depends entirely on the individual.  I have heard for 25 years that you can’t carry a 5" 1911 concealed.  "It's too big." and "It's too heavy" and "You have to get an OM size".  

I have been carrying a 5" 1911 concealed regularly for about 22 years.  If it wasn't concealed, I would have found out about it by now.

I have a new XD 45acp that I picked up a few days ago.  I have carried it for one day in a piece of crap holster (the one that came with it) and it concealed just fine under a sport coat.  It will do better in a real holster.

You are going to have some trouble if you are 5'5" and 130lbs or in a cheap holster, but you don't have to be 6'6" and 300 either.  I am 5'10" and about 190.  

A good holster (I like Alessi, Sparks, and DelFatti if I can wait that long, but others work just as well) on a good belt under a thick shirt or sport coat should do.

Contrary to marketing strategy, it is butt length that helps with conceal ability, not barrel length.  Barrel length can play more into it with IWB, but even IWB I carry a 5” in an Alessi GWH.

Unless you are very small in stature, I would think that if you will commit to the investment in a good holster and belt and the right cover garment, there is no reason you cannot conceal a 4” XD.  

I have good leather (Sparks.)

But I don't carry under a sport coat.  I need to be able to carry under a t-shirt.  

For me, slide length isn't about concealability, it's about how far I have to get my hand up to clear the holster on draw.  I don't like mini guns, I like midsize pistols like the glock 23.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

For me, slide length isn't about concealability, it's about how far I have to get my hand up to clear the holster on draw.  

Everything I have ever used the barrel length didn't change grip position.  

Same holster, same gun make with different barrel length, exact same postition.  

The extra length goes below the belt.  There may be some around that move the gun up with a longer barrel in the same holster model (maybe field hostlers?), but I have not used any, at least in concealment leather.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For me, slide length isn't about concealability, it's about how far I have to get my hand up to clear the holster on draw.  

Everything I have ever used the barrel length didn't change grip position.  

Same holster, same gun make with different barrel length, exact same postition.  

The extra length goes below the belt.  There may be some around that move the gun up with a longer barrel in the same holster model (maybe field hostlers?), but I have not used any, at least in concealment leather.  

You're misunderstanding me.

I realize the extra length goes below the belt.  I'm saying that when you draw, you have to pull up even higher to get that extra length to clear your holster.  IWB holsters sit pretty high.  It's not a big deal on a thigh rig.  Thigh rigs are easy to draw from because of how low they sit.

See my point?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep - I understand what you are saying now.  I guess I just never noticed it since my normal comp and carry have always been primarily 5", so when I go shorter there is no reason to alter my draw.  I can see the issue if it were the other way around.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice to know that it is probably okay for CCW. Like I said I don't carry too often but would like the option. I am about the same size as you Bloodythumb so I'm not real big or real small. Pretty average size dude. Only problem is that I am in Florida so I would need to conceal under a T-shirt also. Not much jacket weather down here. There is a gun show coming up. I will check out the .45 there. It will most likely come home with me :)
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:57:12 AM EDT
[#11]
which area of fl, and i carry a 1911 all the time and it stays hidden, then key my friend is those shortsleeve button shirts that go down to your pockets just dont tuck them in for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:00:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I just got one yesterday. I'm planning on carrying it. It's about the same size as the XD-40 Service.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I live in Port St. Lucie. That is true I have lots of short sleeve buttom up shirts that I dont tuck in. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Ha YELLOWV,

That picture looked like Sean Penn until I read "Al Bundy".  Might want to fix it! Than again maybe not!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The catch with the 1911 is that the slide (and the rest of the gun) is very slim, hence easy to conceal regardless of barrel length.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I am also thinking of a compact 1911 but I dont think I will be able to find a nice one as cheap as the XD.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The catch with the 1911 is that the slide (and the rest of the gun) is very slim, hence easy to conceal regardless of barrel length.

I couldn't agree more.  Maybe you can tell me why I have been told all these years that it is hard to do / can't be done.  

I wish I had a mag full of ammo for every time I have heard that and then reached under my shirt and showed them one.

It is almost as common to hear "It's too heeeeaaavy!"  

I have always liked Clint Smiths response (or so I have read) when asked why he carries a 5".  He supposedly said "Because they don't make anything bigger."

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#18]
How much bigger is this puppy than a g23?

I'd love to find an excuse to buy one.  13+1 of .45 carried IWB would be a sweet excuse, if I can manage to carry it without hurting like a mofo when I sit for extended periods.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I couldn't agree more.  Maybe you can tell me why I have been told all these years that it is hard to do / can't be done.  

I wish I had a mag full of ammo for every time I have heard that and then reached under my shirt and showed them one.

It is almost as common to hear "It's too heeeeaaavy!"  

I have always like Clint Smiths response (or so I have read) when asked why he carries a 5".  He supposedly said "Because they don't make anything bigger."

I've been carrying a 4in, full grip (commander) and its been awesome.  I'd be fine packing a glock/beretta/sig/HK/XD but they are all so thick in comparison and the grip and pointability of the 1911 is perfect for me (strangely enough a S&W J-frame fits my hand just right as well, specifcally the Model 60)

So far the only semi-auto close in ergonomics has been the Hi-Power (go figure )
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top