Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2016 9:07:34 AM EDT
I bought myself an XDm .45 4.5 last fall.  Love it.  Shoots phenomenally, etc.  Ever since the BLM and jihad shenanigans started up this summer I've made it my edc over my old 709 slim.  I've carried it for 2 months every day.  

I don't shoot as much as I should and so after 2 months I went to the range this past Monday and first shot the trigger freezes up.  It wouldn't reset.  I had to manually press it forward to fire again.  The range let me use some gunscrubber to spray out the trigger group.  That seemed to fix it but only lasted a mag until it started again.  

When I got home I sprayed it out with some wd40 that was much higher pressure than the gunscrubber.  That seemed to work in dry firing.  I went to the range again yesterday to test it out.  It fired flawlessly all 50 rds.  I'm hopeful I solved it.

I figure some lint or crud from edc got jammed in there.  Any one know a guaranteed way to prevent this or to clean it out?  I'd prefer to avoid detail stripping of the firearm.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Gunscrubber will take out all the lubrication, and that does not help either. WD-40 is not a lubricant, although not a cleaner to the extent that Gunscrubber is.  I use something like Gunscrubber followed by compressed air, then lubricate it.  A carry gun gets all sorts of crap in it, so the best prevention is to clean it more often.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#2]
That's what I figured but good tip on the cleaner vs lubricant.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Is this a gun that was visibly in need of a good cleaning? Trigger reset shouldn't be that finicky on any gun simply from being a little dirty. I would detail strip the entire gun and look for broken or mangled parts in addition to the dirt and crud. That or possibly something like a popped primer or bit of brass that managed to work it's way into the trigger mechanism.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Never did follow up on this but I did fix the problem without disassembling the trigger. I just kept spraying cleaner into the trigger and testing until it didn't give me issues. I've shot a couple hundred rounds through it in multiple trips to the range since.  

I love the xdm but the trigger mechanism is more open to lint and debris than other designs like Glock.  I work in dusty conditions. This contributes undoubtedly and has led to me periodically blowing out and cleaning out my trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top