Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2003 7:23:25 AM EDT
I've been looking for a .44 mag for quite some time.  After some research and various suggestions, I have finally decided on a Ruger Super Redhawk (probably 7.5" tube) and possibly a trigger job on top.

Any input about this.  I would like to know what kind of accuracy people have with these, and how they compare to a Smith 629 or Taurus Raging Bull.

ALSO,
Of course it depends on where you go, but what would you say a trigger job for a DA like this would cost.  I know only rough estimates are available.

What is the average cost of porting something like this.  

Thanks everyone in advance.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#1]
A good smith will charge you less than $100 for a good trigger job on that type of trigger. You don't want it TOO light.

You could have it ported, but frankly I doubt you will need it. They are huge guns. Besides, there is always a possiblity (no matter how slight) that top end porting (like magnaport) can damage the front of a scope if it's too close. Accuracy wise, my 2 Redhawks are the most accurate .44's I own. Moreso than the SRH, Raging Bull, Ruger Bisley, S&W... all of them.

I would actually recommend a regular Redhawl (not a standard, but one with integral scope rings!) for a .44 mag.  If you get the SRH, why not get it in .480 Ruger or .454 Casull? You can shoot reduced loads like a .44 and it is definitely heavy duty enough to handle them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the Super Redhawk (DA) in the .44 magnum and also the .480 Ruger (both in 9 1/2 inch barrels and scoped). Both are exceptionally accurate. (As compared with the Bisley/ Vaquero...the SRH Has adjustable sights and the rings can be had free in 30mm or 1 inch sizes for scopes.)The cost is double for the .480 as compared to the .44 magnum for ammo, with the .44 mag having a far better selection, and in a caliber more likely to be around in 10 years. Buying factory loads in .44 S&W specials is almost the same as the .44 mags, so no savings there unless you handload yourself. Handloading may cut costs some, but unless you really NEED the .480 or .454 Casull, the .44 mag is a better all around gun. I bought the .480 first, then the .44 magnum SRH. Had I done it the reverse way, I am not sure I would have bought a .480 or .454 in addition ro the .44 magnum...and yeah...a few people told me that would be the case, but...you know how it is when you don't take advice to well?!! <grin>
<Mike>
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay,

I'm definitely looking for good accuracy as well as strength, hence why I've changed my mind from a Raging Bull or Model 44 Taurus.  So, which would suit my needs better, the super redhawk or the regular.

Markbo, why do you suggest the regular.  I'm not being a smarta$$ but I really want to know if there is an advantage.  It seems first hand experience from people who own them is the best.  And you say it is MORE accurate that your Super?

RugerCal.  I see what you mean, that's a major factor in why I'm going with 44 mag.  I mean, it's about as versatile as they come.  I handload so it should work out pretty well.  Is that 9.5" barrel a pain, or is it worth it.  I've still been debating between that and 7.5.  Anything you would like to tell me to pursuade my opinion??  

I appreciate the info guys.  From the sound of it, BOTH of you are happy with your Ruger's.  I was tempted with the taurus for a while, but it seems Ruger has a pretty tight package.  Any more info or suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks everyone, hope to hear more.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Gundraw, you are correct that my 2 Redhawks are my most accurate .44's. Don't know why.. I just found a load that each of them likes and they shoot little groups! With factory ammo no less.

The only reason I suggested the alternative is personal preference. I am blessed to not be very recoil sensitive. Just luck I guess. I can shoot 100 rounds without flinching. I just get tired!

To me, the SRH is simply too large a gun for the .44 cartridge. It is an unnecessary load. If I can comfortably shoot a .44 in a gun/scope combo that weighs a pound less, why not?

Though Rugercal480 makes some very valid points. The large SRH's are known for good accuracy and .44 ammo can be had cheaper. How many rounds do you actually intend to shoot each year?

Concurrently, I suggested a larger caliber in the SRH because the SRH will help tame the sharp recoil of the .454. I have never shot a .480, but think they are similar. The RH can only be had up to 7 1/2" barrel. The SRH up to 9 1/2" so you will get another 100fps or so velocity. But go handle both guns. And the Raging Bull (which is soft to shoot due to the well designed grip). The SRH's are a load!

Now saying that, I intend to have my Bisley converted to .475 Linbaugh this year and I WILL own an S&W .500S&W magnum too. In the immortal words of David Bowie: too much.... is never enough.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't shot the 7 1/2 inch barrel, but I can vouch for the accuracy of the 9 1/2 inch 100-150 yds. The 9 1/2 inch barrel is more awkward than the 7.5, but when you hunt with a large caliber gun you generally use a rest of some kind, at least, I do. Figure in a 7 1/2 inch barrel, you have a 1 1/4 inch bullet...so in fact you have a 6 1/4 barrel? (ahhhh that is true for an automatic, not the revolver)The more barrel you can have the better the accuracy. At 100 yds. you would want a scope....the accuracy is going to be affected by the movement at the muzzle end...the greater the distance, the more variance in the shooting circle. You don't want to shoot at 100 yds unless you can put the bullet into a 3-4 inch circle consistently and with the FIRST shot, so PRACTICE is essential. It is cruel to shoot an animal and wound it and chase it and never catch it. SOO FIRST shot placement is a MUST to my way of figuring, the longer barrel the better! For targets the same holds, I think. If you are shooting steel plates 6x8 you want as accurate a gun as possible. I shoot the DA as a single action always (i.e., cock the hammer) The recoil is a matter of getting used to it...practice with a dummy bullet so you get used to not flinching. I don't really find much difference in shooting the .480 or the .44 magnum, as far as felt recoil goes.  The first time or couple of times, yes...but persistence and practice pays off in the end. You need to shoot regularly with any gun. Proper technique and how the gun fits your hands determines to a large degree how comfortable you become with it, and practice determines how consistently accurately you shoot it. You can't take most guns to the range occassionally and expect to be proficient with it. So...practice, practice, practice...there is no substitute for it. (My hands are very SMALL, NOT large at all!)
<Mike>
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#6]
You guys are just making this decision HARDER, hehehe.

Yes, actually I did go down and handle both of these weapons at the local gunstore.  Although both were large, I found both were definitely feasible.  I do like the fact, however, the Ruger is so dang tough.  My original plan WAS to get a raging bull, but I was tempted away from it for these redhawks.  Of course I hate trying to feel out guns at shops like that.  Of course it was hot, my hands were sweaty ,I didn't have all the time in the world.  It seemed like one time I would pull up the gun, and the DA trigger pull was impossible (I have a fairly small hands with semi small fingers, I wouldn't say QUITE medium).  Then the next, it felt fine.  Those huge grips definitely force you to get a position down especially for those guns, and that's hard to figure out with an impatient storeowner looming at you.  Not to mention the ruger was a used scoped model with a trigger job.  (and a swweeet one at that)

Okay, now for some decision making.  On the issue of the raging bull, I've heard it's not as accurate, not as strong, but very comfortable to shoot, and comparitively priced.  Correct??  Is it MUCH more comfortable than a Ruger?

Redhawk is more accurate, very strong.  But i keep hearing MORE accurate than a SRH.  Okay, bottom line, a comparo between a 7.5" SRH and a 7.5" Redhawk, which would you expect better accuracy??  Same??  (just a note though, the SRH is actually LIGHTER, (I didnt' believe it either, than the Redhawk), does this change anyone's opinions??)

Also, barrel lenght.  I would probably use this gun WITHOUT a rest most of the time.  I like to target shoot frequently and would like to hunt once in a while.  Would a 7.5 give acceptable results out to say, 50-75 yds??

So now it's basically a matter of Redhawk or Super Redhawk.  And also going back to the store again to make SURE, the grips feel alright.  I guess i'm just scared of getting a gun TOO big for my hands that I just can't adapt to.  I find the looks of DA so much more attractive as well as more functional.  But if I can't get a comfortable pull on a DA, it's not worth it.

Sorry for more and more questions.  I appreciate all you help already.  I just want to make sure I make the right choice for my needs.  
Thanks again, hopefully I'll hear more from you two.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Gundraw,
There are so many variables related to the "accuracy" of one gun to another, that comparisons are kind of "iffy, at best" even within guns of the same manufacturer. The best thing to do is shoot both, if that is possible. However, even that is not "fool-proof," since how YOU shoot and hold the gun, as well as how the sights, open or scoped, are set for YOU will affect the results.
Best case scenario is...MAKE A CHOICE, set the gun for YOUR style of shooting...make whatever corrections need to be made for YOU, and go from there. There are never any "guarantees" in this life...at least none that I have found <grin>...choose a gun that you like and shoot it...each gun will have a preference in bullets that it does well with and those it actually does poorly with...unless the particular gun is a "lemon" you will need to find it's preference from shooting it. If it is the gun, and not the shooter, most reputable companies, and Ruger is one of those, will make it right if there is a problem with the manufactured gun. Don't make this any harder than it needs to be <laughing>!!
As far as "what others say". everyone has their personal preferences, some like one particular gun manufacturer better than others, or one gun better than others. You will develop your own, as well, based on your personal experiences with different guns. Even a poll of preferences won't make chooisng any easier...ya have to JUST DO IT!! <grin> soooo DO IT!! <laughing>
RugerCal480 <Mike>
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#8]
in .44 mag i have:  RH, SRH, 2 SBH, and an M29.

eccept for the old Smith, had it over 40 years, i use these for my earthquake loads.  no way to prove which is toughest without blowing up the guns.  felt recoil, to me, is less with the SRH. no difference in accuracy has been noted in any of the four Rugers. several chambers in them all are more accurate than others. this is where handloading and load testing comes in. a tegious undertaking i assure you.  in general, they are all very close.  scopes and bags are needed to tell the difference.  

for handgun hunting, you won't need those hundred yard plus shots.  they can be made, but, you would be better served with a rifle.
the purpose of handgun hunting is to get up close, like 50 yards and less.  ask a bowhunter about up close and personal.  that is where the thrill is. my .02 here.

all my Rugers have had SA trigger jobs.  they are not bad out of the box, i am just picky, and i feel it contributes to SA accuracy. all are right between 3 and 3 1/2 lbs.  

i must confess, when i go hunting, i take my Smith 657 in .41 mag.  why?, i just love it and it will kill anything within 1000 miles of my house.  i would really really love to have a RH in .41 mag. i think that would be ideal.

may my general commentary, without specifics, be helpful.

Link Posted: 7/12/2003 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I just bought the Ruger Redhawk in .44 with a 5.5" barrel.  I get to shoot it for the first time tomorrow!

.44 is definately the way to go.  Check out www.garrettcartridges.com
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:17:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Congrats Schapman... let us know how you like it.

Gundraw-any decision?
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Congrats Schapman... let us know how you like it.

Gundraw-any decision?

So far I've put 100 rounds through it.  I absolutely love this gun!  It has quickly turned my into a revolver man.  

In fact I liked it so much that I had to put a Super Redhawk in .454 on layaway and am seriously considering a Super Redhawk in .480 along with a SP101 in .357.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:11:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Geesh...Shapman43...you will become a "collector" instead of a "shooter" if you are not careful <grin>
<hehe> once you shoot those Rugers it's like a disease...ya gotta have more and more <grin>
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Geesh...Shapman43...you will become a "collector" instead of a "shooter" if you are not careful <grin>
<hehe> once you shoot those Rugers it's like a disease...ya gotta have more and more <grin>

Hey!  I've only had it for two weeks!  And with a three week old son I would say thats a ton of shooting

I put money down on a Super Redhawk in both .454 and .480.  Now I'm trying to decide on a GP100 in .357 with a 4" barrel or another Redhawk .44 Mag with the barrel cut down to 4".  

You're right, once you shoot a Ruger you'll only want more!
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 12:50:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Markbo (and everyone)  After much consideration, it boiled down to this.

I love the durability (and the warranty at that) the Ruger has.  And from the sounds of it, these Redhawks are as good as the other Rugers I have shot/own.  So after seriously looking at Taurus for a while and hearing, somewhat shakey feedback about the raging bull (accuracy wise). This seemed like a natural decision and the best of both worlds to go with the Ruger.

So, I went out again and felt the Ruger Redhawk.  I guess more than anything, the grip felt, I don't know, Un-natural maybe, like one time i'd pull it up and the D/A felt miles away (not that I'd shoot D/A that often)and the grip felt twice the size of my hand.  And then other times, it felt great, like it fit and trigger orientation was okay. But I have to admit, I've never had a large frame D/A before.  My father was more of a S/A guy and I'm rather young (In college), and still "building" my collection.  So I'm hoping that it is something you adapt to.  Something you learn to get comfortable with.  Any input on this? (again)  

I mean I love the looks(especially) and the functionality of a D/A, but I don't buy a gun on looks, and if it's not something that will grow comfortable to, I would rather just go with the S/A.  

So as of now, Markbo, It's still up in the air for either RH or SRH (assuming I even go with the D/A)  I want to get my hands on both, but NO ONE stock a SRH in my town.  And I've been working like such a fool lately (to pay for these puppies) that I haven't been anywhere bigger to get a little more hands on.

Any help or experiences similar to mine with the grips on beasts, please, let me know.  I'd rather do my homework now and get what I want, than lose time and a little $ on a trade-in.

Gundraw

P.S. I'm pretty set on the 7.5 in barrel though.  That's about the extent of my decision so far.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#15]
GunDraw
I bought my first new Revolver in 1970, it was an Old Model Super Blackhawk. At this time I have a Freedom Arms 454 Casull it is ported, a Taurus R.B. 454 Casull it is ported, a Super Redhawk 44 Rem Mag, a Super Black Hawk 44 Rem Mag, and a Blackhawk 45 Colt it is also ported.
Over the years I have acquired a number of opinions which are nothing more than my opinions, but I'll throw a few out use what you can and forget the rest.
It appears that you are new to large Revolvers so I think your choice of the 44 Rem Mag is the best choice for you. I shoot a 300 Gr. cast bullet at a little over 1400 fps out of the Super Redhawk with the 7.5 inch barrel, so the cartridge is plenty strong.
I think all of the quality Revolvers offer good accuracy, I think it's more important to pick a Revolver that fits you well and you are comfortable with.
Three of my Revolvers are ported, I would pass on the porting with the 44 Rem Mag in the Super Redhawk as it is a heavy Revolver and delievers little recoil to the shooter.
I think it is a good idea to make sure that there is a good Quality hoster of a design that you like available for the Revolver you intend to purchase, This was a problem I had with my Raging Bull. The rear sights on the Ruger Revolvers are pretty light duty, Millet makes a sight base with several types of rear blades which are very robust.
I like Revolvers in general but must admit that I have a very strong preferance for Single Action Revolvers for numerous reasons. You might like them it couldn't hurt to take a look.
Have a nice evening,
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I was FINALLY able to get my hands on a SRH.  It was a 454, but a SRH all the same.  I was definitely impressed.  I held it side by side with a S&W 629, and even with the smith's nice grips, I felt very comfortable with the Ruger.  It felt fine, even with the D/A, and the S/A felt great.  The front-heavy feeling was apprarent (7.5" barrel was what it had, which is also what I'm planning on getting) but no more so than any of the other D/A's of similar features.  So as for that decision.  I do believe I"m going to go ahead with the SRH.  I might end up getting some aftermarket grips to maybe further the comfort for my smaller hands.  I guess now, I'm looking at 7.5 or 9.5 inch barrels.  I think 7.5 would best suit me, as this will probably see more range and "farm carry" than much big game hunting.

Overall, very impressed with the SRH.  Trigger felt fine for me.  But after handling that RH with the job on it(and the Smith in some aspects), I can see where people might consider some work on it.  

Well, my decision has been made.  Thanks everyone for your advice.  I guess now the decision is finding a way to pay for the new toy.  Thanks again.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Congrats. After that much thought and research, I believe that you cannot go wrong with your choice. Now you realize what will happen don't you?

You will have to expand your collection just like Rabon and I and a lot of other people have done. Keep in mind how a gun feels is important...BUT there are tons of grip options for most revolvers.

I personally like the stock grips on the RH's, though many guys I know hate them because they are too small. I also HATE Pachmyer grips. I just don't like the feel of them.

I like most of the Hogue grips very much, but the only way to tell with any of these is to handle them on the gun that you have intentions for. How they feel on anything else might not be the same.

You have made an informed choice and I wish you all happiness and success. Welcome to the wonderful world of big bore handgunning!
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#18]
In the standard Redhawk R you will not be disappointed.  You must have a large hand to correctly hold either of the Ruger models.  The only guns that are of quality and fit my hand size are the Colt Anaconda and the S&W 629's.  Be sure to try them on for size before you spend your $$$'s.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Well Gundraw? You buy a pistol yet?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top