Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I finally got some .44 Spc loaded up, and I can absolutely see why y'all think so highly of the cartridge!

After some research, I tried 6.5gr of AA#5 under a 240gr cast SWC.  At 15 yards, offhand, they produced a 2 1/2" 6 round group. In a big, heavy Vaquero .44 mag, it was like shooting a .22, but those fat heavy slugs zipped right through the target (a piece of scrap aluminum plate about 3/16" thick) and buried themselves 6" deep into the sand berm

Impact was a bit low and right, but I'm still getting used to shooting single action revolvers and I'm 99% sure it was operator error...I also shot a few magnums at 1350 fps just prior to trying these, so I'd bet a paycheck that I had more than a little flinching going on.

I'll try again from a rest and see what happens but 44 Special is SOOOOOOOO much more pleasant to shoot!
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Figured I should add a picture of my 24-3 Lew Horton.

https://i.imgur.com/BtxnRlJ.jpg

Upper right of course with the 624 below.  A couple of my Magnums on the left.

I’m getting ready to load up some more 44 Special.  I’ve still got a couple hundred more of the 210 grain button nose wad cutters but I’ll probably do some 240 grain coated SWC’s.  I typically load them with 7.5 grains of Herco.
View Quote

@Compuvette

Wow, lovely collection of .44 N frames! That M24-3 LHS is truly choice! Have you seen what the 3" LHS's are going for on GB as of lately? Thankfully I got mine 3 years ago for under $1,100 out the door all-in. Mine shoots 200gr Speer GD's (light recoil) and 255grain Underwood "Keith's" (medium-recoil) exceptionally well/accurate 50 yards and closer. I practice on 12"x18" Steel Silhouettes at 35-50 yards for defense and love hearing those steel plates sing. The 3" barrel is very quick on target when presenting from a holster to boot!
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:43:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't!  44 MEANS magnum, 'nuff said!
View Quote

I've shot some 250grain "Keith-Style" maximum spec'd handloaded .44Specials that hit harder than anything factory loaded 240gr .44Magnum ammo I've tried. That's the beauty of a .44Special as they can be loaded from mild to wrist wringing wild! But typically just a medium sauced load in .44Special topped with a hard-cast Keith will get the job done on just about anything North America can throw at you!
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've shot some 250grain "Keith-Style" maximum spec'd handloaded .44Specials that hit harder than anything factory loaded 240gr .44Magnum ammo I've tried. That's the beauty of a .44Special as they can be loaded from mild to wrist wringing wild! But typically just a medium sauced load in .44Special topped with a hard-cast Keith will get the job done on just about anything North America can throw at you!
View Quote

.44 Special's of the Flat Top Blackhawk variety, the S&W 24's and the Freedom Arm's can be loaded to run a 250 gr. cast SWC ~1200 fps, which is slightly exceeds the ballistics of "standard" .44 Magnum loads as loaded by the Big 3 here in the states.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, 44-250KT @ 1000 fps FTW.  Rugers, Charter Arms, and Smiths.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yep, 44-250KT @ 1000 fps FTW.  Rugers, Charter Arms, and Smiths.
View Quote

I thought the Charter Arms were expressly mentioned as being low pressure only?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I thought the Charter Arms were expressly mentioned as being low pressure only?
View Quote

That’s what I’ve read as well.  Not to mention I’d bet a 250 grain at 1k from a Bulldog would be a bit much…..
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

.44 Special's of the Flat Top Blackhawk variety, the S&W 24's and the Freedom Arm's can be loaded to run a 250 gr. cast SWC ~1200 fps, which is slightly exceeds the ballistics of "standard" .44 Magnum loads as loaded by the Big 3 here in the states.
View Quote

Absolutely Ggibbs... The beauty of the .44Special and .44Magnums is their utility and proclivity of their forgiveness to push the envelope and still perform just as hoped. Whether its a Smith M24 or M29/629 or the Freedom's Arms's comparatives... Bulldogs aren't exactly the "glass-jaw'd-faggots" they are made out to be either for what it's worth...

Elmer and Skeeter left us with a lot of knowledge and how-to get it done wisdom!

Live on the .44 Caliber!
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I have a flat top also, love it!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top