Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2017 8:46:41 PM EDT
Thinking of selling my S&W Model 29 Classic Hunter Special Order. Non fluted cylinder and full underlug. Immaculate bluing with original box, original hogue grips, Altamont grips (pictured), documents, pamphlets, and sealed factory cleaning kit. Any help is appreciated.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#1]
$850 if its a no lock
Something less if it has the internal lock.

Revolvers seen tp have cooled off over the last year or so.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#2]
It's worth all my boners.............do you accept woodies or stiffies as payment?  

She's freaking beautiful!

Love the unfluted
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's worth all my boners.............do you accept woodies or stiffies as payment?  

Love the unfluted
View Quote
Gotta + 1 on this sentiment

ETA: You will stomp your own arse later if you sell it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#4]
IF you find the right buyer, might see 1100+.  If you want to move it, 850.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Love the unfluted
View Quote
Hahaha.  . It is a pre-lock. I know I may regret it but I've only shot it twice in the past 3 years. I'm trying to get funds together for an MP5 clone SBR.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#6]
You looked on GB?  There are a couple there.  Yours is pretty nice and the right S and W guy might really want it.

What did you pay for it?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#7]
On a serious note id say you got every bit of 1050-1100 bucks there.  The unfluted adds value IMHO but I'm a guy who loves these things, not a guy who's gonna buy on a whim.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
$850 if its a no lock
Something less if it has the internal lock.

Revolvers seen tp have cooled off over the last year or so.
View Quote
I would go with that.

I read the description and saw the pic and basically said "I's pay 850 for that."

Then I scrolled down and saw the above.    

Years ago I got a nickle plated 29-2 4in that was pristine except for a tiny bit of pitting from resting in a humid gunsafe shelf.  Was only on two chambers of the cylinder.    It sat on a consignment shelf for 450 dollars.   Credit card came out without thinking.

Kept it for a few years and traded for a Glock 22 when I need something to train with before an LE academy.   I kept a 29-3 4in blued because I prefer blued guns and the nickle didnt hold my fancy.

The Ca market is hot for classic S&W's but the supply is limited and the demand huge.

OP's gun would probably be 1000 plus now and my 29-2 750 or more.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You looked on GB?  There are a couple there.  Yours is pretty nice and the right S and W guy might really want it.

What did you pay for it?
View Quote
I looked but haven't found this exact model. I bought mine years ago from the original owner for $800. He was a friend of my dad's and had not shot it since the late 90's. When I say it is immaculate, I am not exaggerating.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

OP's gun would probably be 1000 plus now and my 29-2 750 or more.
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:50:19 PM EDT
[#11]
It is in great condition, but it'll take a motivated buyer to pay much more than 1100-1200. And that would take a while I bet.

At least in my town, there are always some M29s in the case, used
But standard types for 500-800.

Yours is pretty unique though.  Smith usually made runs of that stuff in 2500-5000 guns at a time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:55:59 PM EDT
[#12]
My gut says $850 is a little low. If you're not in a hurry start high and do some fishing.

Beautiful gun.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:09:19 AM EDT
[#13]
She's a beaut' Clark.

If I just ran across it I'd pay $800, assuming no lock.

The trick is to find someone who is looking for an unfluted model 29. I'm sure you can find a buyer for $1k+.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 1:23:23 AM EDT
[#14]
She is a looker!
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 1:51:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Have the box and all with it?

I wouldn't take less than 1k.

Non fluted Smiths tend to pull at least a 200 dollar premium.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:40:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
IF you find the right buyer, might see 1100+.  If you want to move it, 850.
View Quote
I agree 100%, I sold one of these with aftermarket grips a year or so ago for $900.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:40:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks everyone. This is gives me a good starting point.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:52:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Hot damn that is a gorgeous gun.

I agree with others $850-900 would make for a pretty quick sale. The right guys bidding with box, dox, and tools? $1000+ easy probably wouldn't be out of the question.

I've got an unfluted 629-4 Mountain Gun with the Altamont Bateleur grips. Fucking love it.

Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I agree with others $850-900 would make for a pretty quick sale. The right guys bidding with box, dox, and tools? $1000+ easy probably wouldn't be out of the question.

I've got an unfluted 629-4 Mountain Gun with the Altamont Bateleur grips. Fucking love it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/266130/IMG-20170328-073242716-177012.jpg
View Quote
Love yours as well.  Nice!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:03:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Does seem like revolvers have cooled of other than pythons. I would never let that go for less than a grand.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:14:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/266130/IMG-20170328-073242716-177012.jpg
Thanks. Kinda lucked into that one for a good price. They rarely pop up in my experience, at least in my neck of the woods. I've got a 629-4 5" Classic too but it's fluted. Not too many made in your configuration me thinks, and there won't be anymore made without the lock and MIM parts save for a miracle in the S&W boardroom.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:41:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Is yours a 5" or 6" gun?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:22:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is yours a 5" or 6" gun?
View Quote
6" barrel.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Ahh gotcha.

If it was a 5" gun it would command a substantial premium.

That said, it is still a very nice gun, and pre lock  blued 29s are still quite desirable.  If you can be patient, you should be able to get a grand from the right buyer. If I missed it, sorry, but I am assuming it has a hammer mounted firing pin. It should from that era.

I would advertise that fact. The hammer mounted FP and pre-lock are generally more desirable features than non fluted cylinders.  To advertise it, I would take pics of the FP, the breech face (to show lack of wear) the end of the box with the corresponding info (for collectors), the muzzle, and the back strap (again to show lack of wear).

If it were mine, I would stay at a grand for it.

Hope this helps.

I am a big fan of M29s, but I have more than I will ever wear out from shooting in my lifetime at this point.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ahh gotcha.

If it was a 5" gun it would command a substantial premium.

That said, it is still a very nice gun, and pre lock  blued 29s are still quite desirable.  If you can be patient, you should be able to get a grand from the right buyer. If I missed it, sorry, but I am assuming it has a hammer mounted firing pin. It should from that era.

I would advertise that fact. The hammer mounted FP and pre-lock are generally more desirable features than non fluted cylinders.  To advertise it, I would take pics of the FP, the breech face (to show lack of wear) the end of the box with the corresponding info (for collectors), the muzzle, and the back strap (again to show lack of wear).

If it were mine, I would stay at a grand for it.

Hope this helps.

I am a big fan of M29s, but I have more than I will ever wear out from shooting in my lifetime at this point.
View Quote
Thanks for the advice.  Yes, it has the hammer mounted FB, no lock, and it is Product Code 101282, Spec. Ord. 2085.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I love that non-fluted cylinder. If it was a 4" barrel I'd make you an offer myself. I'm just not fond of barrels over 4". It's a nice looking 29. Depending on round count and condition, I'd guess you could get at least $900 and $1,100 or more if low round count and excellent condition.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:06:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Beautiful gun! I love the unfluted cylinders, it's part of what drew me to my 629 V-Comp PC gun.  I'm sure you know what you are doing but that gun has serious "sold my gun guilt" written all over it.  I've made the mistake in my past and it's a hurt that doesn't go away in time.  I sold my S&W Model 59 that was my first duty carry gun 30 plus years ago and it still makes me sick.  If it has sentimental value at all to you I'd reconsider selling it.  Otherwise, good luck! I wouldn't take less than a grand for it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 6:43:37 AM EDT
[#28]
First off, that's a very nice looking Model 29. I would compare prices over at smith-wessonforums.com classified section. They move a lot of used S&W wheel guns, and would provide a wider comparison price for you to be asking for yours. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Beautiful gun! I love the unfluted cylinders, it's part of what drew me to my 629 V-Comp PC gun.  I'm sure you know what you are doing but that gun has serious "sold my gun guilt" written all over it.  I've made the mistake in my past and it's a hurt that doesn't go away in time.  I sold my S&W Model 59 that was my first duty carry gun 30 plus years ago and it still makes me sick.  If it has sentimental value at all to you I'd reconsider selling it.  Otherwise, good luck! I wouldn't take less than a grand for it.
View Quote
"Sold my gun guilt"
Right there.

Of ALL the firearms I've owned ( approximately north of 50 ) THE MOST "regrets" for me are the Colt Python &  M29.

Sorry OP, find other ways to finance that MP5 clone.

Don't be me
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hahaha.  . It is a pre-lock. I know I may regret it but I've only shot it twice in the past 3 years. I'm trying to get funds together for an MP5 clone SBR.

Thanks for the replies so far.
View Quote
I've owned cloned MP5 semi and an real MP5 SMG.  The difference is night and day.  Sold the MP5 SMG but may get another one if I can close an upcoming deal.  They leave a smile on your face for hours.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks everyone for all your help. I listed it for $1,100 and it sold locally at asking within 3 hours.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:25:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Probably should've asked 1200
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Probably should've asked 1200
View Quote
My thought as well
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:06:36 AM EDT
[#34]
I have one of those in stainless steel, it's a nice gun. The heavy ass cylinder and full underlug barrel just soak up recoil.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#35]
My first rule with selling guns is, "Can I buy another at a later time?"  If no, I don't sell.  It's why I have a safe full of S&W revolvers!

I like uncommon shooters, guns that aren't so unicorn-rare that they can be fired and enjoyed but aren't something you see on Armslist every day.  E.g. your 29.  The only 29s with more panache are going to be the P&R guns, particularly the S-prefix guns, or perhaps the limited run Lew Horton snubs in the 1980s.

I'd say it's $1000, easy, maybe more should you try to move it on the S&W Forum.  Of course, I would hang on to it (see above).
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Gotta + 1 on this sentiment

ETA: You will stomp your own arse later if you sell it.
View Quote
I sold one rifle, an M1A and was sorry right away. Never again. I have a S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun that is a dream.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I sold one rifle, an M1A and was sorry right away. Never again. I have a S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun that is a dream.
View Quote
Mountain guns are awesome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top