Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2017 1:14:35 PM EDT
I was out of town this weekend for a get-together with some friends.  Found a Smith and Wesson 940-1 9mm (pre-lock) with original box and two moonclips.  It had a decent amount of carry wear, but the lockup felt excellent.  I don't think it was fired very much at all.  Being that I was out of state, the shop owner agreed to hold it for me until Wednesday so I could get an FFL in Ohio lined up.  His asking price?  $470, including shipping.

Anyone have any experiences with these little guys?  I've heard that extraction can be difficult on some guns, but at this price I'm willing to take a chance.  Now I just need wednesday to hurry up and roll around...
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one. The thin moon clips are the weak link to these revolvers. You can shoot them without but then you need something to push the casings out.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had one. The thin moon clips are the weak link to these revolvers. You can shoot them without but then you need something to push the casings out.
View Quote
This.

Recoil can be brisk but ammunition supply is an advantage.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#3]
At that price a good deal. A touch heavy being all steel but this becomes an advantage when shooting it. Source a dozen or so clips and you are set.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
At that price a good deal. A touch heavy being all steel but this becomes an advantage when shooting it. Source a dozen or so clips and you are set.
View Quote
Is the 940 steel? With a the light weight of an aluminum frame I would be worried about bullet jump with some loads. My concern particular to the 9mm would be the taper crimp (less retention than a heavy roll crimp in a crimping groove) and the relatively strong power of 9mm Luger in these little guns. When I first got my 642 I was crimping my 158 gr. SWC target loads too lightly and experienced this problem.

All that said, the 940 is really sweet and I am jealous. I would love to own one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is the 940 steel? With a the light weight of an aluminum frame I would be worried about bullet jump with some loads. My concern particular to the 9mm would be the taper crimp (less retention than a heavy roll crimp in a crimping groove) and the relatively strong power of 9mm Luger in these little guns. When I first got my 642 I was crimping my 158 gr. SWC target loads too lightly and experienced this problem.

All that said, the 940 is really sweet and I am jealous. I would love to own one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 940 is a stainless steel revolver, fame and all.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I really hope you bought it. They sell for $700+ normally.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I really hope you bought it. They sell for $700+ normally.
View Quote
It's being held for me as we speak.  The shop opens at 10am tomorrow, and I'll be calling with the FFL info and credit card number!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The 940 is a stainless steel revolver, fame and all.
View Quote
Very good. Please post pics, OP!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw one at a local gunshow about 3 months back that was priced at $475. They had it sitting showing its good side and when I turned it over I cringed. Still quite functional and as a shooter it would be about perfect. No worries about messing it up. However, I already own Model 30 no dash, a Model 36-7 and two Model 640-1 357s. I really don't need another shooter and it was in too bad of condition to be a collector, so I passed.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:55:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like a very reasonable price. I'd grab it in a heartbeat, never had one in front of me before.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:10:15 AM EDT
[#11]
One of the few revolvers I'm always on the lookout for. Please keep us updated OP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top