Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2017 8:01:00 PM EDT
I am trying to decide which revolver would be better. The S&W 686 plus 3in seems really durable and a quality revolver and holds 7 rounds. However, the ruger redhawk has the 8 rounds but seems a lot more expensive. I was thinking about using this revolver for a woods gun. Which one is the better pistol and why?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I would choose the Smith as it is easier to carry.  The Ruger is large and heavy.  I also like Smith triggers better.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The answer is generally 686 . Not sure on the pricing , would surprise if the redhawk was more.

Many Ruger folks get all wound up that the Rugers are stronger . If you are going to absolutely abuse the gun maybe but any reasonable handload up to the equal of hot full power factory loads and the S&W will last many long years.

The other way to look at things is a revolver and the ability to shoot one well is all about the trigger and although the Ruger isn't horrible it isn't at all close to the S&W.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had several generations of the Smith and Wesson .357 revolvers and a good gunsmith can make the action feel very nice on them.  I would tend to choose the 686 or 686+ and I will discuss the advantages of each.  I currently have a 7in Talo version of the 686+ which uses 7 round speedloaders.  I have had 686  in the 6 shot version and 586 in the 6 shot version and Sarariland makes a 6 shot speedloader just like HKS does.  I much prefer the Sarariland speedloader which may take a little getting used to but are exceptionally fast and reliable.  The  S&W 19 and 66 used to blow out where the cylinder stop cut was located over the chamber however the 686+ just like the J frame 5 shot guns has the cylinder stop cut in between the chambers making it safer with heavy loads.  I will not on that point that just like the model 27 and 28 N frame guns the 586 and 686 L frame guns have seen many years of service in use by police and have fired many heavy loads through them with no issues.  The model 19 and 66 were at one point discontinued due to failures where the cylinder stop cut blew out over the chamber.  

686+
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#5]
S&W 627 is the answer the OP seeks!
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:55:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Ruger is pretty much idiot proof.  i would recommend it for a issue revolver to a police agency that wanted a revolver.

I have a 586 and there is not a Ruger I would trade it for.
I'd like to have a 686 too.
If I had both those and enough more to spend on it I'd get Ruger .454 Super Blackhawk.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:59:30 AM EDT
[#7]
S&W 686 gets my vote, I love the Smith revolvers.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd go with a 4" for a woods gun. Pre-lock 686 between those 2; prefer the Smith trigger. I'd actually go with a 4" 66/19. Lighter and you would have to shoot a lot of full power rounds to open up that cut out. I'd stick to mid range loads for practice and shoot just enough full power loads to keep familiar with them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want a shooter, better looking light more comfy gun, Smith.

If you want the extra round, in a revolver that's a tank, and known for its revolvers having the ability to withstand over pressure loads that would seriously damage others...Ruger.

As a woods gun, I'd take the Ruger. As a range or carry, I'd take the Smith.

ETA: But the correct answer is Glock 20 with full power ammo. .460Rowland conversion to a G21 is also acceptable. (More power and capacity than either of those revolvers)
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you want the extra round, in a revolver that's a tank, and known for its revolvers having the ability to withstand over pressure loads that would seriously damage others...Ruger.

ETA: But the correct answer is Glock 20 with full power ammo. .460Rowland conversion to a G21 is also acceptable. (More power and capacity than either of those revolvers)
View Quote
Meh...  10mm does not have much if anything over 357 Magnum when both cartridges are loaded to SAAMI max pressure.  Sure the Glock has a capacity advantage but it has no soul.  Step up to 44 Mag or some of the 45 cal revolver cartridges if you want muzzle energy.

The answer to this thread still remains a S&W 627.  8-shot 357 Magnum with a S&W sweet trigger.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Meh...  10mm does not have much if anything over 357 Magnum when both cartridges are loaded to SAAMI max pressure.  Sure the Glock has a capacity advantage but it has no soul.  Step up to 44 Mag or some of the 45 cal revolver cartridges if you want muzzle energy.
View Quote
Current production S&Ws with the idiot lock, the MIM parts and the production corners that have been cut (have you looked inside one of these things?) have no soul either.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Current production S&Ws with the idiot lock, the MIM parts and the production corners that have been cut (have you looked inside one of these things?) have no soul either.

Dave
View Quote
The lock is removable pretty easy if it bothers you and there in absolutely nothing wrong with contemporary MIM parts.  Every gun maker today is using MIM parts somewhere in their product line.  Get over MIM it is hear to stay and better than forged in many ways.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Have owned multiples of  both.  Ford versus Chevy.  They both work.  I would find out the street price and try them one for size.  Can't go wrong with either.  Triggers can be tweaked on both, though I typically don't find it needed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The answer to this thread still remains a S&W 627.  8-shot 357 Magnum with a S&W sweet trigger.
View Quote
I was referencing the .460R as more powerful cartridge and higher capacity in a converted Glock 21, not the 10mm.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#15]
My 686SSR is probably the sweetest revo I own. 6 shot. If you want more, consider the 627Pro (4") or 627PC (5"). I have examples of both of these too, and they are both very nice.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Pre lock Smith. 
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The answer is generally 686 . Not sure on the pricing , would surprise if the redhawk was more.

Many Ruger folks get all wound up that the Rugers are stronger ......
View Quote
Rugers are investment cast and thicker

S&W are forged

Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Dave
View Quote
What "production corners" have been cut?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#19]
When you say woods gun, a very important question is what will you be doing in the woods?

If mounted on horse or ATV most of the time I'd say either gun will suffice.

If you're on foot, no question whatsoever the 686. It weighs 34oz. The Ruger weighs in at a whopping 44oz.

That almost extra full pound pulling on your belt or chest holster will fatigue you much faster.

For the price of admission at 44oz you could easily step up to 44mag/454 Casull/480 Ruger with the Super Redhawk Alaskan.

And for only 41oz you could pack a 4in Smith 629 in 44 Mag.

Or even better a new Smith 69 in 44 Mag at 34oz too.

Gun weight makes a huge impact on comfort when you are afield on foot, make sure you factor that in if need be.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Typical insult removed, OP did not ask about any Automatics much less a Block, yet you take it upon yourself to insult removedin a thread asking about Revolvers in the Revolver sub-forum.
Edit: I would go with the 686.

Please stop the name calling-Roadhawk
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:50:07 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Withstanding hot loads?

Quoted:

Typical GlockTARD shit, OP did not ask about any Automatics much less a Block, yet you take it upon yourself to shit GlockTARD in a thread asking about Revolvers in the Revolver sub-forum.
Typical insult removed, ignore that I commented between the two options the OP gave and then simply put a couple other out there that I think are superior woods guns. Maybe he couldn't care less about semi auto pistols and will shoot a revolver or nothing. I don't know, but I didn't figure it wouldn't  hurt to reference two easy to find pistols that are very affordable and offer similar power or more (once converted) with higher capacity. But fuck me for doing that right.
Please stop the name calling- Roadhawk
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Redhawks are tremendous.

A 686 would be far more practical.

I'd be more inclined to go N-frame. I love the older, tapered barrels, but the newer slabsided barreled guns are alright, too.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#23]
S & W.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Withstanding hot loads?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Withstanding hot loads?

yes

the older K-frames were originally designed for 38 special

in the early 1980's, S&W came out with the L-frame, 686/586 . . . designed from the ground up to handle a lifetime of hot magnum loads.

686 (L) and 19 (K)

Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Typical insult removed ignore that I commented between the two options the OP gave and then simply put a couple other out there that I think are superior woods guns. Maybe he couldn't care less about semi auto pistols and will shoot a revolver or nothing. I don't know, but I didn't figure it wouldn't  hurt to reference two easy to find pistols that are very affordable and offer similar power or more (once converted) with higher capacity. But fuck me for doing that right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Typical GlockTARD shit, OP did not ask about any Automatics much less a Block, yet you take it upon yourself to shit GlockTARD in a thread asking about Revolvers in the Revolver sub-forum.
Typical insult removed ignore that I commented between the two options the OP gave and then simply put a couple other out there that I think are superior woods guns. Maybe he couldn't care less about semi auto pistols and will shoot a revolver or nothing. I don't know, but I didn't figure it wouldn't  hurt to reference two easy to find pistols that are very affordable and offer similar power or more (once converted) with higher capacity. But fuck me for doing that right.
Typical insult removedyes you are.
I didn't ignore your original post, I commented on your edit.
You claim you simply put out a couple of other options?
Quoted:
ETA: But the correct answer is Glock 20 with full power ammo. .460Rowland conversion to a G21 is also acceptable. (More power and
capacity than either of those revolvers)
Telling someone the correct answer is a completely different platform/operating system and caliber other than they asked about is not
not offering options.
I'm guessing if the OP wanted opinions like yours on an all around woods handgun including Automatics he would not have posted this question in the Revolver Sub-Forum.

Please stop the name calling- Roadhawk
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#26]
The Redhawk is more comparable to an N-Frame and the L-Frame 686+ is more comparable to a GP.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:Ruger is pretty much idiot proof.  i would recommend it for a issue revolver to a police agency that wanted a revolver.
View Quote
You have obviously never spend a week of 8-10 hour shifts wearing a duty belt with all the other crap LEOs have to carry, in addition to their service weapon, particularly an all steel revolver (as opposed to the half plastic pistols most cops carry today).  A Ruger Redhawk would get you an early (medical) retirement due to low back problems. I spent my first, probationary year carrying a M-28 S&W, then switched to an all steel Government Model Colt 45 ACP. Hours and hours of wearing all that steel gets to you. A gun the weight of a Redhawk would just make it that much worse.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What "production corners" have been cut?
View Quote
I'll ask again @Dave_T, what production corners have been cut at S&W.
Please be specific.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You have obviously never spend a week of 8-10 hour shifts wearing a duty belt with all the other crap LEOs have to carry, in addition to their service weapon, particularly an all steel revolver (as opposed to the half plastic pistols most cops carry today).  A Ruger Redhawk would get you an early (medical) retirement due to low back problems. I spent my first, probationary year carrying a M-28 S&W, then switched to an all steel Government Model Colt 45 ACP. Hours and hours of wearing all that steel gets to you. A gun the weight of a Redhawk would just make it that much worse.

Dave
View Quote
insults removed

Please stop the name calling and insults -Roadhawk
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Redhawk is more comparable to an N-Frame and the L-Frame 686+ is more comparable to a GP.
View Quote
yep, . . . and if I'm gonna carry an N framed sized revolver, it's gonna be bigger than .357 magnum
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#31]
You might want to consider a ruger  sp101as well.  5 rounds of 357 instead of 6, 7, or 8. But 1speedloader and your back up to speed.  I think one of these in the 3 inch would be the ticket.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#32]
JTMcC,

You seem to object to everything I say.

How about you go hate someone else and I just won't comment any more.

Dave
RSVN, Oct '69 m- May '71
PCSD Ret.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#34]
686 .try to find a pre lock gun.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#35]
I just bought a 357 mag redhawk X8 ...You guys making me regret my purchase .It is a huge gun..but I like it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#36]
I appreciate the input. I didn't consider the 627. I will definitely look into that. A glock 20 is already in the works. But I think the 686 would be best to start.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Horse Shit!!!  I have been reloading for over 40 years and the Ruger will stand up to hot loads better. LOVE SMITH & WESSON , but after years the Smith & Wesson starts getting front end shake where the lock up is not as tight as when new. Have seen two S&W 29's blown up with hot loads and never a Red hawk or Blackhawk. Common sense will tell you that using the same steel thicker is better when running hot loads. I have two S&W 28's that Ive shot a lot abd both have gone back to S&W to have the cylinders and yoke tightened. S&W has by far a better trigger and for everyday shooting my choice woulod be the S&Y  L or N frame guns. but a steady diet of real hot loads it's Ruger for the win.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:20:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Horse Shit!!!  I have been reloading for over 40 years and the Ruger will stand up to hot loads better. LOVE SMITH & WESSON , but after years the Smith & Wesson starts getting front end shake where the lock up is not as tight as when new. Have seen two S&W 29's blown up with hot loads and never a Red hawk or Blackhawk. Common sense will tell you that using the same steel thicker is better when running hot loads. I have two S&W 28's that Ive shot a lot abd both have gone back to S&W to have the cylinders and yoke tightened. S&W has by far a better trigger and for everyday shooting my choice woulod be the S&Y  L or N frame guns. but a steady diet of real hot loads it's Ruger for the win.
View Quote
I have seen a number of Ruger revolvers go kaboom too.  Done in by over zealous reloaders that take the strength of Ruger to the extreme.  But I will admit if you are going to hot rod cartridge past SAAMI specification then a Ruger is a better choice.  Probably a touch stronger and heavier and definitely cheaper to replace with you make it do a grenade impersonation.

But when you look to the world of competitive Revolver shooters, USPSA, IDPA, ICORE etc where the best and fastest revolver shooters come together, what do they choose?  Overwhelmingly S&W. Since the USPSA Revolver division got its own stand alone national match in 2013 (close to 500 competitor over 5 annual matches)  you can count the total number of non-S&W revolvers without taking your shoes off.  IDPA and ICORE are nearly as lopsided in favor of S&W.  Yes if hot rodding a cartridge is what you want to do the Ruger is a bit better but then again if you're just out to hot rod a cartridge a T/C Encore would be an even better, stronger, and more versatile option.

Also remember some of the most powerful revolvers made are still S&W.  Ruger offers nothing that can compete with raw power of a S&W X-frame in 460S&W or 500 S&W.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:34:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
When you say woods gun, a very important question is what will you be doing in the woods?

If mounted on horse or ATV most of the time I'd say either gun will suffice.

If you're on foot, no question whatsoever the 686. It weighs 34oz. The Ruger weighs in at a whopping 44oz.

That almost extra full pound pulling on your belt or chest holster will fatigue you much faster.

For the price of admission at 44oz you could easily step up to 44mag/454 Casull/480 Ruger with the Super Redhawk Alaskan.

And for only 41oz you could pack a 4in Smith 629 in 44 Mag.

Or even better a new Smith 69 in 44 Mag at 34oz too.

Gun weight makes a huge impact on comfort when you are afield on foot, make sure you factor that in if need be.
View Quote
This post here.

Comparing a 686 to a Redhawk would be more like compaing the 686 to the S&W 27 N frame.  

A closer comparison would be the 686 to a GP100.

The Rugers are always built stronger and beefier while the S&Ws are a bit more svelte and generally have a trigger that will tune up nicer.  

In the end they are all nice pistols.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top