Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2017 6:30:26 PM EDT
I've been looking at getting a 329PD as a lightweight .44 bush gun, but I found that a few years ago, S&W produced an "Alaska Backpacker" version of this gun with a 3" barrel and with a steel cylinder instead of the titanium cylinder.  It was a Talo distributor exclusive and I cannot find any for sale.  I think this model would be perfect for my needs and likely won't experience the sticky brass problem that so many claim the titanium cylinder has.

Anyone know about this model or seen one?  Worst case, I'm guessing a gunsmith could shorten the barrel and swap out the cylinder on a 329PD?  Too much work and cost I would guess.

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Alaska Wal-Marts. Seriously.

At least I think I have seen those there. They were noticeably cheaper than the full Sc guns, but was several years back by now. If it was even the same gun.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#2]
They pop up once in a while.  That looks like a 329 version.  I have a 3" prelock 629 that's ported.  It's an incredibly fun gun to shoot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I gotta believe a barrel and cylinder will cost a pretty good pile of cash.

If you can handle a bit more weight for your use there are some 3" 629s floating around. They were ordered by Lew Horton.
I have one , never knew they were made until I saw a used one at a shop. I have had a bit of fun with it. Pretty much a standard round butt 629 (stainless frame and cylinder) but a real short barrel with a full but short lug . Pretty chunky but that makes it a decent shooter if you can deal with the weight
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:29:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I would have been quite taken by a 3" 329PD. I picked up a regular 329 today and the Backpacker was REALLY tempting me because of its shorter bbl. Chose the 329 instead because it was such a featherweight.

I will warn you though... I'm not recoil averse, having shot over 1K hot ..44 mag loads from my Taurus M44s (one of which was the DAO non-ported snubby). But I took the 329PD out this afternoon and it was a real eye-opener. Have never shot anything like it. Closest thing to getting my attention in a similar manner was when my buddy and me each took his double bbl 12 gauge coach gun, loaded a pair of 3" magnum buckshot, and pulled both triggers at the same time. Shooting the 329PD was that kind of "fun". Maybe worse. I'm going to get some X-frame rubber grips for it... as those are supposed to fit and tame the harshness a hair. I thought that the web between my thumb and forefinger was bleeding after three shots. And I was wearing gloves!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top